Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/25/2021 7:11:50 PM EDT
Cliff notes:fire department gets sent on a call of a toddler with  second degree burns covering entire body. After more than 20 minutes on scene waiting for a medic the commanding officer of the fire unit on scene decided to transport the toddler to the hospital in the fire engine. The medic, who apparently took heat for taking so long, filed a complaint on the fire officer and he got relieved of his role as officer and faces other discipline.

The family, who he was sent to help, praises his actions. His employer is trying to fuck him over.

@Lug1

Letter of the law vs spirit of the law

If there’s someone with 5 gunshot wounds bleeding out on the sidewalk do they expect them to wait 20 minutes for the medic?

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – A disciplinary hearing was held Friday afternoon for an Oklahoma City Fire Department Major who rushed a young burn victim to the hospital in his fire engine after waiting 20 minutes for an ambulance.

Firefighters with knowledge about the disciplinary action tell KFOR that Maj. Corey Britt has been relieved of his role as a Senior Company Officer at Station 34.

Britt was forced to sneak out the back of Station One Friday afternoon following his disciplinary hearing at headquarters.

“We don’t transport patients,” said Fire Chief Richard Kelley with Oklahoma City Fire Department. “That’s not our job.”

Kelley says this policy is also a state statute.

Friday, the veteran of 25 years learned he will keep his pay and rank but will face what the chief calls “internal corrective measures”.

Chief Kelley says the initial complaint against Britt came from EMSA, the emergency service that was more than 20 minutes late during the call on Christmas Eve.

“Most of the times those calls are excellent, but if you miss the mark, we talk about it and correct it as necessary,” Deputy Chief Mike Walters with the Oklahoma City Fire Department said.

EMSA ambulance
7:05:10 P.M. – Engine 34 was dispatched on a medical call of a toddler with second degree burns all over her body

7:05:55 P.M. Brush-Pumper 32 was added to the incident

7:09:59 P.M. Brush-Pumper 32 arrived on the scene and initiated patient care

7:13:17 P.M. Engine 34 and Major Britt arrived on the scene and assisted with patient care

7:17:55 P.M. Major Britt requested that EMSA upgrade their response from a Priority 2 to a Priority 1

7:17:59 P.M. EMSA response status changed to Priority 1

7:22:00 P.M. Major Britt requests an ETA of EMSA. EMSA was responding from the “Mercy” Area and had been on the road route for 4 minutes

7:29:44 P.M. Major Britt informed dispatch to cancel EMSA because these people decided to go POV due to the nature of the emergency

7:30:00 P.M. Major Britt asks OKCFD Dispatch if they were clear to cancel EMSA

OKCFD Fire Dispatch relayed that EMSA just advised that they are right around the corner on this call.

Engine 34 responds, “I’m clear. They’re going.”

With no sign of EMSA, Britt decided the little girl couldn’t wait and drove her to the hospital himself.

OKCFD says the Automatic Vehicle Locator on the EMSA unit indicated that it was less than 1/2 mile from the scene when canceled by Engine 34.

“The firefighters have heard it before: ‘We are right around the corner or we are almost there,'” KFOR Anchor Ali Meyer asked. “In some cases, it’s more than an hour. Does that mindset, the pattern and the delays play a role in the firefighter’s state of mind?”

“It could,” Walker said. “It would be inappropriate for me to comment on the officer’s state of mind, but on the other side, we are trained to deal with these emergencies.”

The Amme’s family, however, says their little girl is forever grateful for Britt’s decision.

“I appreciate every decision he made when the system failed us,” Kristin Amme said.

Some of Britt’s colleagues also say they stand in support. They didn’t want to go on camera, but told us, “None of the firefighters feel like this is fair. Yes, we know he broke policy, but he was only trying to help the child.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Why the fuck was the response time over 20 min?
That’s Detroit during the Great Recession kinda shit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the f.d. and ems are two different agencies. Two tier systems can cause issues where no issues need to be.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if the f.d. and ems are two different agencies. Two tier systems can cause issues where no issues need to be.
View Quote

It appears they are

But 20 minutes in a metro area like okc?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t know dick about EMS, and many here do, but that sounds like some bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm maybe the FD members should form a union?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That’s Detroit during the Great Recession kinda shit.
View Quote

Because they were probably playing grab ass or screwing around...............
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Given the circumstances as presented.   I would take that that discipline without any remorse.

Fwiw, his chief level management needs to grow a spine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
As the brother of a FF/Medic who has saved lives, I applaud the Major's decision to transport but do understand why he must face the music.

If they let this rule slide, what's to stop someone from breaking the next rule?  Slippery slope.

My brother responded to a rollover minivan on the expressway.   Vehicle was upside down in the ditch.  Driver suffered a spinal cord injury, no sensation from neck down.

My brother tells one of the FF that he is calling for LifeFlight and to inform the state trooper that he needs to shut down the expressway.

FF comes back and says, "Trooper said you're not shutting down his expressway"

Wrong answer.  My brother went to the trooper and said, "I have a patient w/ a spinal cord injury.  I'm calling in Life Flight and I'm shutting down the expressway" and with that he hopped up into the engine and parked it sideways across the expressway.

I love telling that story

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Given the circumstances as presented.   I would take that that discipline without any remorse.

View Quote

I’d frame that fucker and drop papers the same day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
This scenario has happened a few times across the country, including  near me.  As far as I know it’s never ended well for the fire officer in charge.  There are two types of EMS licenses for vehicles: transport (ambulances) and non-transport (fire trucks).   If you use a non-transport vehicle to transport a patient, expect the state EMS licensing agency, local medical director, and department management to throw you under the bus.  

With that said, sometimes you gotta say fuck the rules, what’s best for the patient, and what actions can you live with.  

#Dannywouldgo

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like here.  Fire agencies and large national ambulance company have had fights over stuff like this.  The ambulance has been known to send all but 4 ambulances (the minimum number allowed) out of town on transfers because that’s where the money is (911 is not a moneymaker).  Then the remaining crews end up on calls, and the response time is extended.  This is a regular occurrence, not unusual.

ETA: In our area, the chief stood behind the firefighters.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
FUCK THOSE MEDICS AND THE DEPARTMENT.  

Save lives or go sit on the curb.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As the brother of a FF/Medic who has saved lives, I applaud the Major's decision to transport but do understand why he must face the music.

If they let this rule slide, what's to stop someone from breaking the next rule?  Slippery slope.

My brother responded to a rollover minivan on the expressway.   Vehicle was upside down in the ditch.  Driver suffered a spinal cord injury, no sensation from neck down.

My brother tells one of the FF that he is calling for LifeFlight and to inform the state trooper that he needs to shut down the expressway.

Wrong answer.  My brother went to the trooper and said, "I have a patient w/ a spinal cord injury.  I'm calling in Life Flight and I'm shutting down the expressway" and with that he hopped up into the engine and parked it sideways across the expressway.

View Quote

That’s happened a few times too and it’s ended up with the firefighter in handcuffs.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Punish him like they punished the Sgt.

A Bridge Too Far - Save My Captain
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I love the feud between RB and Lug1.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
No good deed...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#19]
He did good. Fuck procedure
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is the slippery slope? THE ONLY argument that could possibly be made is, that truck and personnel were not available to respond to a call.

If anyone here works with Chief Kelley, hey chief, you can suck my dick you stupid asshole. You major deserved a quiet commendation, dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah. Oh fucking well. Do whatever you’re gonna do, I did the right thing and I can sleep fine at night with the decision I made.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I almost made that call a couple times myself, but didn't for fear of what's happening to this guy.  Sometimes you just don't have enough EMT's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone who tells a child with burns he has to wait for union cocksucker to show up instead of being transported to a hospital is plain evil.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Be ironic if the medics house was on fire and the response time was say 2 days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#26]
That is some straight up bullshit
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell yes!!

Sometimes these slimy cunts forget what their primary job is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Somehow I'm bettIng that after this generates enough of a media stink any discipline for the fire fighter will be quietly dropped.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That’s happened a few times too and it’s ended up with the firefighter in handcuffs.  
View Quote

Only in shitholes.  I could legally close any road I needed to and the only thing the cops could do was direct traffic around it.  We had a good relationship with our cops and worked to open lanes as quickly as safely possible, but in the end safety has to trump drive times.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Honk honk
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#31]
The stupidity of “zero tolerance”
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Where is the slippery slope? THE ONLY argument that could possibly be made is, that truck and personnel were not available to respond to a call.

If anyone here works with Chief Kelley, hey chief, you can suck my dick you stupid asshole. You major deserved a quiet commendation, dumbass.
View Quote

Should have been “Why’d you do it?” “Okay, don’t make a habit of it.”
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I almost made that call a couple times myself, but didn't for fear of what's happening to this guy.  Sometimes you just don't have enough EMT's.
View Quote

Do you know the outcome?
Did they die?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#34]
“Lead, follow, or get out of the way.”
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#35]
As the son of a former fire chief, I can tell you the petty shit and drama that goes down in fire departments is as bad as middle school girls fueding. It's unnecessary and brought on by boredom and a clique mentality.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's Detroit during the Great Recession kinda shit.

Or maybe there is a pandemic stretching EMS thin?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Be ironic if the medics house was on fire and the response time was say 2 days.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ
View Quote

Britt.

Corey Britt.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup ! He did the right thing . The community will rally around him and force the city/department to squash this nonsense
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#40]

“Most of the times those calls are excellent, but if you miss the mark, we talk about it and correct it as necessary,” Deputy Chief Mike Walters with the Oklahoma City Fire Department said, "Sure, your kid will be dead, but at least we all had a chat and maybe put a nasty letter in some EMS guy's file".
View Quote

I filled in the unsaid part.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's Detroit during the Great Recession kinda shit.

More than likely taking the frequent fliers to the emergency room for the second time that week.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Do you know the outcome?
Did they die?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know the outcome?
Did they die?

They were minor calls that could wait.  In this situation, I would have probably done the same and taken the heat.  More than once i drove the BLS with one EMT because the call couldn't wait, and every time I was thanked for taking the initiative and saving lives.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I live in the middle of BFE Iowa with all volunteer EMS and Fire, and call response times are never that long. Wtf
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, because transporting a severely-injured kid to a hospital because EMS hasn’t bothered to show the fuck up is EXACTLY the same as breaking any other rule.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Been on small rural department for 25 years it's normal for 20 minutes or more wait on code 3 ambulances. I can remember a few times we have transported to meet the ambulance that's in route. We don't have anything in our s.o.g but we aren't insured for it. Its also very common for firefighters to drive ambulance back to hospital if code is in progress.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Confident lug and I have similar views on this one

Just don’t shut the road down to get the patient there lug
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like BS, the EMS is trying to cover their ass. Do an open records request and pull all of EMSA records and let’s seen what their response time is
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I suspect the medic who filed that complaint isn't going to get any love or support from the fire crews.  Sounds like a straight up Blue Falcon
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Observe here in its undistilled splendor how obscene evils are permitted to exist:  unwavering adherence to process and statute over principle and decency.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone who tells a child with burns he has to wait for union cocksucker to show up instead of being transported to a hospital is plain evil.
View Quote

That sums it up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top