Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/24/2021 5:16:48 PM EDT
First we had a Japanese pearl harbor pilot shot down and given aid by those of Japanese decent on Hawaiian islands...then we had literally hundreds of messages daily on the US west coast being sent via radio to Japan detailing US ships coming and leaving from San Diego to San Francisco.

Was it time to move them to places like Montana to camps until the end of the war with no forced work or death camps until the war to was end all wars was over in order to win?

https://youtu.be/ZIpaMR9Jdtc

please embed for discussion.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What I always found interesting is how little we learned about them in school
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
No!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
After I read that story a few years ago, it made a lot more sense to me why they did what they did at the time.  When the camps are discussed in mass media, they leave that story out, conveniently....

jd1
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
They were more justified than the reprogramming camps for conservatives will be.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No!
View Quote

LOL  

I also love those who have a simple abstract view of the world and historical events...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
No, that was retarded and legit racist.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Putting people you don't like in concentration camps is NEVER the right answer.

I've been to the site of the Topaz Camp and for lack of a better way to explain, the place just feels wrong. I'm sure the place is haunted.

Also never forget which American political party was in control when they actually imprisoned other people in camps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They were more justified than the reprogramming camps for conservatives will be.
View Quote

The reprogramming is happening now. Anyone who still goes HAM in the future will just be a terrorist/insurrectionist

Or whatever
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After I read that story a few years ago, it made a lot more sense to me why they did what they did at the time.  When the camps are discussed in mass media, they leave that story out, conveniently....

jd1
View Quote

It was actually a very pragmatic approach to a problem they did not have have a way to effectively via other means.  I wish people would not  apply contemporary view points to historical events....   You cannot view the actions of the past with the lens of the present it never works..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a complex answer.  The short answer is fuck FDR.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Democrats like to put people in camps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
FFS no
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
During and after WWI there was wide spread discrimination against Americans of German descent.
The shutzenfest rifle matches were eliminated among other events, but Americans were not put in camps, that was a crime, FDR probly got the idea from Adolph.
One of the many reasons I dispise him.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Let’s fuck up an entire race of people that happens to be living in the US because of the chance there may be a few sympathizers. There were a number of non-Japanese that were imprisoned also. Where were the German concentration camps? Or the Russian concentration camps during the Cold War? It was cruel and unnecessary. You’re punishing a largely innocent group of US citizens because of fear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#16]
No, it was a land grab/wealth transfer.  A lot of valuable real estate was lost.

The Americans of Japanese descent in Hawaii were never rounded up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
During and after WWI there was wide spread discrimination against Americans of German descent.
The shutzenfest rifle matches were eliminated among other events, but Americans were not put in camps, that was a crime, FDR probly got the idea from Adolph.
View Quote

Other way around actually.  Progressives came up with the idea of camps , eugenics and most other "Nazi Ideas"
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely not! They were US citizens.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Made perfect sense from a tactical approach at the time, trying to react decisively to an existential threat.
Doesn't mean it was "fair" or "American," but given the circumstances and the (limited) available information, it's more likely the decision was made out of serious concern than out of simple racism.

Contrary to what the left (and, apparently some members here) would like us all to believe, life isn't black and white. There are gradients of good and evil, and gradients of "justified."

And people who think they're morally superior because they can see things differently in retrospect than people saw in the moment, are simple fools.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]
It would have been easier to just not bring possible enemy combatants here in the first place. Really simplifies the home front when you don't have a bunch of foreigners living here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Democrats like to put people in camps.
View Quote
It's scary how fast they go full commie.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Absolutely not! They were US citizens.
View Quote

This!

It's not that hard to understand unless you are commie fuck. The Bill of Rights still means a lot to me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
No. It was a stupid reactionary move. Those Japanese Americans had nothing to do with the Empire of Japan and their Pacific aggression.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Democrats in action. No!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I remember correctly, it was the British during the Boer War that had the first concentration camp.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Did we start locking up muslims in camps after 9/11?

ETA: I guess we did, but not wholesale. Only certain individuals.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It was actually a very pragmatic approach to a problem they did not have have a way to effectively via other means.  Let's apply contemporary view points to historical events....   You cannot view the actions of the past with the lens of the present it never works..
View Quote

This ....after learning facts I'm more on the side as this was at the time in their realm of facts putting the US first as being prudent though it may rub the wrong way of our modern actions.

Imagine if it were Iranians in an all out war with the US population. Reporting via radio all US troop movements, info and giving aid to Iranian fighters. Now it seems all different.

Sucks if you were a pro-US Iranian but no one was forced to work in the camps and they were not meant to kill, all came out alive...huge difference IMO. The more you learn the more it made sense.

Just trying to look at history through the lenses at that time...much like our revolution or civil war trying to make sense of it all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOL  

I also love those who have a simple abstract view of the world and historical events...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No!

LOL  

You won't be laughing when it's you going to a camp.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't 100% say it was the right thing to do.

But it is really damn interesting that we still catch grief over it so many decades later.

Also: What happened to foreign nationals living in Japan and Germany at the outbreak of hostilities (and even before in some cases)?

War sucks, sometimes kneejerk and regrettable decisions are made. But we did not eject Japanese Americans, gas them, starve them to death or use them for medical experiments.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes because they will be reopened for conservatives

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#31]
No because they weren't Japanese. Mostly native born US citizens.

FDR put American citizens in prison camps without due process etc. I think that the camps in Texas and in the South were for Japanese citizens and other foreign born Japanese internees.

Most of the these people in the camps had ancestors that left Japan at the turn of the century due to an insurrection/rebellion against the royal family. That's 40 some years before WW2 and they had already establishing roots and building businesses and farms in the US.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#32]
The Japanese camps should have been right next to the ones for Germans and Italians.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, it was the British during the Boer War that had the first concentration camp.
View Quote

Actually we did it before they did ...    Just saying...   Reservations were the original concentration camps
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This ....after learning facts I'm more on the side as this was at the time in their realm of facts putting the US first as being prudent though it may rub the wrong way of our modern actions.

Imagine if it were Iranians in an all out war with the US population. Reporting via radio all US troop movements, info and giving aid to Iranian fighters. Now it seems all different.

Sucks if you were a pro-US Iranian but no one was forced to work in the camps and they were not meant to kill, all came out alive...huge difference IMO. The more you learn the more it made sense.

Just trying to look at history through the lenses at that time...much like our revolution or civil war trying to make sense of it all.
View Quote

This is correct  but GD has once again proven how our contemporary education system has dumbed most Americans down , and demonstrates daily they do not possess critical thinking skills.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Mass expulsion would have resulted in mass conscription of japanese military aged males, would have been basically sending home reinforcements to our sworn enemy. Plus we would eventually have wound up gunning them down anyway over there.

The few occasions where japanese immigrants were given opportunity to aid and assist enemy combatants, some of them did, enough of them in my opinion that some level of response to that threat was justified.

If you were a japanese immigrant in the USA, especially if you were a male of fighting age, sitting the war out in a USA internment camp was a hell of a lot easier and better for your health than just about any posting I can think of in the IJN or  IJA, (edit: OR allied army/naval forces) or as a citizen in any of the japanese land holdings or takings across the pacific during that time frame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Japanese camps should have been right next to the ones for Germans and Italians.
View Quote

They were all three segregated for a reason ...    I know you probably thought you were trying to be clever in a sarcastic sorta way but the more you know.

News Flash the Canadians did the same things.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
The democrats thought so.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#38]
It was fine.  The Democrats would not do anything racist.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m not bothered by it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is correct  but GD has once again proven how our contemporary education system has dumbed most Americans down , and demonstrates daily they do not possess critical thinking skills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the virus crisis is bad enough we can ignore the Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sharpshooter yet it's you an your ilk that are fine with the forced relocation of and confiscation of property of US citizens without due process or compensation.

Not all were sending aid.....but all were treated as if they were.

if you were ok with what happened YOU are an an enemy of the Constitution as you are fine with denial of Due Process.  and are also fine with jailing those who commit no crime.

what happened back then is NO different then the camps the left is proposing, and you are condemning them.....which makes you a hypocrite

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Keep in mind the democrats of today can and will use the same excuse, based on information available at the time, to justify rounding us all up.  FDR wasn’t much different than Hitler. He used the depression to make a huge power grab and when war broke out, he went balls deep.  Had FDR not died in 1945, how would things have been by 1946 in the US?  Here’s a real kicker, how do you think the feds found al the Japanese Americans?  What handy database was available for them to pull that listed Japanese Americans?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They were all three segregated for a reason ...    I know you probably thought you were trying to be clever in a sarcastic sorta way but the more you know.

News Flash the Canadians did the same things.
View Quote
If we followed the same rules for Germans and Italians there would have been millions in camps.

Camp Nordland, New Jersey:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Madison Square Garden:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Not only no, but HELL FUCKING NO!

It was a great violation of the liberty of American citizens perpetrated without any good reason. The rationale was purely out of rumor, supposition, and racist fear.  Lock up enemy aliens all day long, but not Americans!

These Americans got fucked over by Uncle Sam. Maybe the worst EO of the 20th century and one of the top 5 worst SCOTUS decisions!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#45]
No under any condition. If you have someone you you think is a spy, investigate them. Otherwise leave them be.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#46]
No.  Rounding up any and all with japanese background to where their business and livelihoods were destroyed was wrong.  Imagine all the funding that was taken to build and run those facilities and imagine if they had used it to do really investigation to find out bad actors.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was a huge violation of US citizen’s constitutional rights. I cannot believe someone would defend it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#48]
For real prospective, women (non Japanese)  in Japanese taken territories were literally placed in rape camps. Women, young girls of Dutch decent (East Indies), English, Australian, British nurses were all from age 17-40 forcibly raped by Japanese as "comfort women" (as were Korean and Chinese women) some as many as 50 times daily for years and given forced abortions (google it).

Nothing like that even remotely happened to women in the US who were of Japanese decent put in internment camps to keep the US safe...nor were any put to death. Comparing these camps to Nazi or Japanese camps is obscene IMO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@sharpshooter yet it's you an your ilk that are fine with the forced relocation of and confiscation of property of US citizens without due process or compensation.

Not all were sending aid.....but all were treated as if they were.

if you were ok with what happened YOU are an an enemy of the Constitution as you are fine with denial of Due Process.  and are also fine with jailing those who commit no crime.

what happened back then is NO different then the camps the left is proposing, and you are condemning them.....which makes you a hypocrite

View Quote

ROFL   another person who thinks they have a license on morality.   You know jack shit about me and I clearly know more about historical events and context than you do.  

So keep on talking about what I know about the Constitution ... Based on your sig line I'm betting you've shit on the constitution more than I ever have.

Norcal LEO call sign..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Do your self a favor and read about German and Italian internment camps in WWI & WWII  instead of acting like you know things you don't.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top