Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/23/2021 11:15:49 AM EDT
First two that come to mind are RTS and true stealth games

With RTS they are just hard to make, game balance and good ai are the big factors, They are also difficult to play For most people Requiring a fair amount of intelligence quick thinking and a strong attention span.

The other is true stealth games And I am not talking about assassin's creed or even metal gear solid.

I mean like "oh shit he saw me I'm dead"

Like the old Theif games where a guard can kill you in like 3 hits and you have almost no chance With your puny rapier Against a guy in full plate armour with shield and warhammer

One thing that can kind of get me close to that experience I have been doing recently it's been playing skyrim on legendary difficulty with only a dagger and no armor, doing it that way most huminiods can kill you in 3 hits or so.

Any others you can think of? Thats all I can think of.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Duck Hunt
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Sam Fisher will live forever!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
New RE2 with Mr. X chasing you is awesome.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I was watching somebody playing Hitman 3 who remarked that it’s the last survivor of the AAA stealth franchises.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Those genres aren't truly dead, just innovation has been punched in the gut and is lying on the floor.

The companies that were innovative pioneers of the last several decades are a shadow of their former selves due to bloat and invasion of sjw politics.  As new technology arrives you will see a revival of these genres from new hungry companies.

Just give it time.  Within the next decade, they will come back.  I especially think stealth VR gaming will be a huge success.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I loved those games.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, I can’t even play video games anymore. Nothing holds my attention the way they used to
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I overhead a kid in the store telling their dad about this cool game the teacher let them play, the kid was excitedly explaining the game and the dad was grinning and nodding his head.

The game?  Oregon Trail

Somewhere a teacher is  teaching the old ways
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Good turned-based RPGs.  

I'm about to just say F it and pay the 59.99 for early access to Baldur's Gate 3.  

And I do miss old school MMORPGs like UO pre-Trammel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Not really a genre... but truly dying. Split screen games. Coop or vs. it’s a rarity to find a game that supports this
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Still playing rome total war series games. Might be the only one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Off the wall sports games.

We still get some arcade racin' games like forza horizon, but stuff like SSX, dave mirra's cyclin', and NBA street, we're never going to see again. Which is a shame because I like racing sims, but AFA other sports games go, it was only the goofy stuff that ever appealed to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not really a genre... but truly dying. Split screen games. Coop or vs. it’s a rarity to find a game that supports this
View Quote

Split screen sucked, has always sucked and will forever suck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your right
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multiplayer goldeneye on the n64 was awesome
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I miss the RTS games.  15 years ago everyone had a PC and most could play RTS with maybe a few exceptions.  Now as people have transitioned to tablets and smart phones to browse so most people don’t have a pc and graphics have gotten so much better on games you have to have a pc set up just to play on, and I don’t play enough to justify the cost.

Also FPS and open world games have taken over so much of the market that it’s not really profitable for companies to spend time and money making anything else.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Non-consensual player vs. player games.  The original and best ever being Ultima Online.  It's the only online multiplayer game I ever liked, and I still play it a little bit ( http://www.uorenaissance.com/ ).  I'm not an expert on MMORPGs but from what I have been told pretty much everything out is full of "safe spaces" so that you are totally free from the risk of other players attacking you.  The original Ultima Online went this direction as well, so the "retro" versions like the one I linked are all that is left of the only video game that I ever played that could actually make me feel afraid of being attacked by someone.

ETA: Not sure if it is "dying" but I really don't like first person perspective games.  My favorite is the isometric view (think War Craft for PC, not WoW).  Easier to navigate and control.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I would kill for a modern thief game. I thought what they accomplished at that time was extraordinary.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Good RPGs.

Most will be woke garbage going forward. Mass effect 3 wasn’t as good as the first two and pushed some woke BS. Andromeda the woke was stronger like them uglifying the female protagonist versus the gorgeous model they based her on versus the male one looked exactly like the male model they used because feminism or some shit. The first 3 games I literally did 6 plus characters to see how slight choice changes changed everything. Andromeda I finished it once.

Dragon age 3 the story was kinda interesting the gameplay boring. I don’t have any hope for the next one. There were trannies in the last one that kinda fit the story and weren’t preachy / look at me like the shuttle pilot in me3.

The Outter worlds I tried to like it. I put a decent number of hours in twice trying to like it. Never finished it. The gameplay meh plus the corporations and capitalism bad with everything got old. Though it has some funny stuff. I loved fallout new Vegas and was hoping for something that good.

Fallout 4 kinda sucked. New Vegas was better. 76 was a money grab.

Skyrim is almost a decade old and while wide as a ocean the gameplay and what you do is deep as a puddle. It’s most redeeming factor is mods, and it’s genuinely fun to play even if at least I tend to forget the main story and explore / side quest.

The only bright spot is cd project red. The poles are woke resistant.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
It wasn't the gameplay that made split screen essential (Screen lookers can eat a dick). It was the experience.

There will never again be a time in human history in which the boys physically get together with a stack of pizzas, enough mountain dew and cheap vodka to kill a town, and bullshit amongst one another about life, the girls they have crushes on, and their hopes and dreams.

Now they just get on Xbox live and call each other the N word.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#22]
RTS is all I play when I have time. If you can't conquer the world what good are you?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a sucky awesome.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I wish they made more local LAN coop games. My office has 3 computers where my sons and I play and we all play different titles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Still playing rome total war series games. Might be the only one.
View Quote

Medieval total war 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#26]
My daughter and I are playing Assassins Creed Odyssey together. I used to like the old Company of Heroes and and the Tiberian Sun games.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Some of the Elder Scrolls series of games allowed me to play in a stealth mode and not be over powered to some degree depending upon difficulty. Fallout 4, stealth is fun, but I am usually over powering the enemy easily. For RTS I have enjoyed Sins of a Solar Empire, Starcraft II, and the Medieval: Total War series has been enjoyable. I also really like Faster Than Light as a RTS game. I could play a bit, do some work, come back, get addicted for hours, and have to work later in the evening because I should have gotten that work done earlier.

I have a friend going for aerospace engineering with a minor in video game design as some college in the south east, I can't remember which, and they have a lab specifically dedicated to studying older classic video games. They want to study them because they want to find the elements that worked very well in those games and continue to improve upon them. The only issues I see are attention span issues, intelligence, and the production size (I used to wait a few years between game releases for Elder Scrolls, now, what, a decade???). We will see what he and his friends come up with in the coming years. I am fairly excited about the future of gaming. In the mean time I am practicing stealth on deer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Honestly, I can’t even play video games anymore. Nothing holds my attention the way they used to
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would kill for a modern thief game. I thought what they accomplished at that time was extraordinary.
View Quote

One of the few PC games that actually after a few patches had decent AI.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Wizardry on PC was enjoyable as well. After the few patches they put out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It wasn't the gameplay that made split screen essential (Screen lookers can eat a dick). It was the experience.

There will never again be a time in human history in which the boys physically get together with a stack of pizzas, enough mountain dew and cheap vodka to kill a town, and bullshit amongst one another about life, the girls they have crushes on, and their hopes and dreams.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having the ability to play with friends before the age of online or LAN gaming was definitely a perk.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Gameplay isnt what is important anymore.   Propaganda is
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Non-consensual player vs. player games.  The original and best ever being Ultima Online.  It's the only online multiplayer game I ever liked, and I still play it a little bit ( http://www.uorenaissance.com/ ).  I'm not an expert on MMORPGs but from what I have been told pretty much everything out is full of "safe spaces" so that you are totally free from the risk of other players attacking you.  The original Ultima Online went this direction as well, so the "retro" versions like the one I linked are all that is left of the only video game that I ever played that could actually make me feel afraid of being attacked by someone.

ETA: Not sure if it is "dying" but I really don't like first person perspective games.  My favorite is the isometric view (think War Craft for PC, not WoW).  Easier to navigate and control.
View Quote

You have to go into the survival/horror FPS genre to get that, and even then there will be PVE servers and carebears. DayZ, Ark, etc.

I had high hopes for Fallout 76 being the same way, but nope, PVE fest.

Nothing gets the blood pumping like seeing a person and trying to decide if they're friendly or will screw you, or if you should screw them. It can be dozens of hours of gear, gone with a single 7.62 bullet to the noggin. I love it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used to like the old Company of Heroes
View Quote
The Voice work for CoH was probably the best in any RTS ever.

Company of Heroes Sherman/Pershing voice

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Playing Red Alert right now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Endless Street Fighter II matches were what we played.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

All video game have become anymore is a new paint job on an old house, then with all this sjw bullshit thrown in whatdda got?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you've got no friends.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gameplay isnt what is important anymore.   Propaganda is
View Quote

Yep. Ubisoft is the tip of the woke spear. I still play Division 2 when I’m not sim racing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lolz. Ok buttercup, how else would anyone know that gameplay on split screen sucks if they have no friends?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I want a video game where I play a patrol cop, I want to pull folks over and smash windows, shoot tires/dogs and generally harass hoods. I want to make the decision to either let the fucker OD or give him the good stuff. Make the game with a bribe system, the gang who pays me the most gets me help. I want to bang hookers in the trunk of my cruiser, with the option of leaving her if needed be. 18 wheeling mother truckers will be dealt with, I'm the trucker fucker with the badge in this game. Stopped with a gun on your person? I'm calling in all my boys to chokehold your punk ass. Video takers will be dealt with accordingly.
Motherfuckers I want a true to life cop game. With graphics like LA Noir but not so story based cause in this game, all doors are kickable.
Real life shit

In the meantime I'll just play fucking tetris
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
I miss co-op
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

For competitive gaming, perhaps- but for casual couch play, split screen was where it was at
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Turn based strategy.

Attachment Attached File

This was awesome back in the day
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I generally hate online multiplayer. Ruined Fallout 76. I was so excited for it, and then it kinda sucked. Then they started  patching and updating and changing it, and then it really sucked. I stopped playing because I didn’t like it. Not boredom, but straight up dislike.

FO76 was the last game I bought, and Witcher 3 was the last game I remember fondly. Hopefully something good is in the pipeline. I like to really immerse in a game for a few weeks every few years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

IDK how modern World of Warcraft is set up, I play WotLK on Warmane, and only the starting zones are safe. World PVP is still a thing.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Nothing will ever top Company of Heroes and Empire at War ever again.

Foxhole is pretty good but Im not sure its considered an RTS.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Those genres aren't truly dead, just innovation has been punched in the gut and is lying on the floor.

The companies that were innovative pioneers of the last several decades are a shadow of their former selves due to bloat and invasion of sjw politics.  As new technology arrives you will see a revival of these genres from new hungry companies.

Just give it time.  Within the next decade, they will come back.  I especially think stealth VR gaming will be a huge success.
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

For competitive gaming, perhaps- but for casual couch play, split screen was where it was at
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Casual couch playing with friends or my kids is actually pretty awesome. Until one of the little brats starts taking the game seriously.

Edt. Nintendo still offers almost all of their games with split screen btw.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top