Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/23/2021 10:15:31 AM EDT
This is rather anger-inducing and frustrating. TL:DR - Pete Buttplug and the Xiden administration are looking into a "tax-per-mile" scheme since the requirement for fuel-efficient vehicles is causing Americans to burn less fuel, thereby paying less fuel taxes.

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/incoming-transportation-sec-buttigieg-suggests-taxing-americans-amount-miles

Incoming Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has suggested taxing Americans for the number of miles they drive, a policy he endorsed as a Democratic presidential candidate.

The Biden Administration is actively searching for ways to fund its ambitious $1 trillion infrastructure plan.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The government likes taxes and will punish everyone they can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh no....my odometer is broken
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope they pass it and more.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is rather anger-inducing and frustrating. TL:DR - Pete Buttblug and the Xiden administration are looking into a "tax-per-mile" scheme since the requirement for fuel-efficient vehicles is causing Americans to burn less fuel, thereby paying less fuel taxes.

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/incoming-transportation-sec-buttigieg-suggests-taxing-americans-amount-miles

Incoming Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has suggested taxing Americans for the number of miles they drive, a policy he endorsed as a Democratic presidential candidate.

The Biden Administration is actively searching for ways to fund its ambitious $1 trillion infrastructure plan.
View Quote
View Quote

Fuckers just gave a trillion dollars or more away in that stimulus bill.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The government likes taxes and will punish everyone they can.
View Quote

It's what they are really good at. Taxing and punishing the tax payer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The butt fuckering of America is coming
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#7]
It's social engineering. Evil.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually this makes some sense.  Fuel taxes are used to fund highway construction and maintenance.  Since people are using less fuel, the revenue stream is decreasing.  The model no longer works.  This would be a more equitable.  Right now the guy who has to drive a gas guzzler pickup truck gets screwed.  The guy driving a Tesla doesn't pay anything, yet may drive many more highway miles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol here’s your .gov GPS recorder.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Orange man bad
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad I have a 2nd vehicle that doesn't have an onstar tracker.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually this makes some sense.  Fuel taxes are used to fund highway construction and maintenance.  Since people are using less fuel, the revenue stream is decreasing.  The model no longer works.  This would be a more equitable.  Right now the guy who has to drive a gas guzzler pickup truck gets screwed.  The guy driving a Tesla doesn't pay anything, yet may drive many more highway miles.
View Quote

Yup, and to make the most fair, all taxes assessed at time of fuel purchase will be eliminated!...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We’re all in this together!...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The government at every level burns so much money they could rebuild every road in America and it wouldn’t even be a drop in the bucket.  There is nothing about raising any tax that “makes sense”.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Things like this will be commonplace when a command economy replaces the capitalist economy we now have.  Buckle your seatbelts, it’s going to be a rough ride.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#17]
In a way something similar is already happening on a state level. I have to pay an extra fee something like 100 or 150 for my Tesla and wife’s Fusion Energi. The state wants to collect its road tax somehow. An additional kick in the nuts if we aren’t driving those I’ve got a diesel truck and she has a big passenger van. Both use a lot of fuel, therefore we pay a lot of state gas tax. They’re getting us either way. Now the feds want some too

ETA that fee is added to the yearly registration $150 for my electric and $50 for her plug in hybrid
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those things are very fragile.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem is, they are keeping the gas tax and in fact are raising it while simultaneously applying this new tax to everyone regardless of vehicle power type.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Electric company here in NY urged everyone to use less electricity

So people used less electricity

Power company charged everyone a surcharge for using less electricity to make up for lost revenue
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yup, and to make the most fair, all taxes assessed at time of fuel purchase will be eliminated!...
View Quote

Only if your unemployed and low income.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Power company charged everyone a surcharge for using less electricity to make up for lost revenue
View Quote

Just like a few years back when housing prices declined. The next year our county assessor increased the land value to make up the difference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm actually in favor of "tax per mile". The people using the roads should pay for the usage.

Now with that said: they will have to abandon the fuel tax at the pump bullshit. Of course this will never happen,
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like a good plan to further consolidate the power they get from large city populations.

Also, will they implement a plan to tax the internet usage of those at-home workers who hardly drive at all?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I’m already doing my part to cut down on fossil fuels. My BMW runs on full E85 because 600awhp is much more fun than 300.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great pick for transportation, Buttplug, he certainly is an authority on highways.  The Hershey Highway anyhow.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#27]
They will introduce a bill to make all federal highways easy pass and plate reader tolling, it's coming
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can’t renew your registration.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

They arent going to get rid of the normal gas tax they are just going to add a mileage tax to fuck everyone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

lol here's your .gov GPS recorder.
View Quote
The same one that will mail you speeding tickets for speeding on federally funded highways.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#32]
The fun part of this is that the fuel tax is going to nail the lower class workers hard.  It won’t affect me much since I am working from home and maybe going through a tank of gas a month.  But your poor food service and retail workers are going to get hit hard.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm . . . is there an exemption from the "milage tax" if you don't have a "fuel efficient" vehicle?

I'm guessing no.

Double whammy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Only if your unemployed and low income.
View Quote

And brown.  Dont forget brown.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#35]
They pulled this shit in Virginia years ago.

But a hybrid, pay more for the hybrid, then a tax for buying the vehicle and not using gas.  They did away with it eventually but it speed the hypocrisy and stupidity of government.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Gee who could have seen this coming with how cigarette smoking and cigarette taxes were handled
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It might make sense if it was tax per mile instead of per gallon.

It will end up being both.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to worry!!!

Your phone GPS still works and your vehicles GPS as well.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#39]
"I think all options need to be on the table, as you know, the [federal] gas tax has not been increased since 1993, and it has never been pegged to inflation, and it's one of the reasons why the current state of Highway Trust Fund is that there's more going out than coming in,"

Dumbass, watch your language.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh no...it's broken too
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm actually in favor of "tax per mile". The people using the roads should pay for the usage.

Now with that said: they will have to abandon the fuel tax at the pump bullshit. Of course this will never happen,
View Quote

Get both
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's easy. The fine for a broken odometer is equal to the tax on 25,000 miles.

Government solutions for government problems.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's social engineering. Evil.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is that different than people who don't have kids but still have their property taxes pay for public schools. Even if someone doesn't drive much they still benefit from the roads. How else would your amazon packages get delivered?

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Our laws will protect me from tyranny!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#46]
pretty sure that Virginia charges a $45 extra tax for registration if your car gets 25+ mpg, Because you have not paid your share of fuel tax.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#47]
As a candidate for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, Buttigieg supported banning the sale of gas and diesel vehicles altogether in the United States by 2035.
View Quote

Snort.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just like a few years back when housing prices declined. The next year our county assessor increased the land value to make up the difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is fishy about that. Can’t quite place a finger on it though...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Good, I hope they do it and the private sector finally invents the transporter just so Biden can fail at something else.  

(the kind from The Fly, not Star Trek).
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#50]
And you can hear the screams of prius and tesla drivers screaming in the distance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top