Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2021 4:52:29 PM EDT
I hate that terminology, anyway I have been a gun guy my whole life but only fudd guns until 2005.  I was too busy with life and raising a family to have paid any attn.  Tell me about the 94' ban,  were uppers available, parts, was it a manufacturing date ban or sell date shit out of luck with leftover inventory or what? Please fill me in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It had a sunset clause after 10 years. In a nutshell, it expired.

But don't you worry, there will be another AWB during Unpresident Joseph Robinovich Xiden's first term as Unpresident, except this time ... it will be permanent!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The 94 ban was a 10 year ban on new manufacturing of deadly assault  weapons and high capacity magazines. There were parts available for pre and post. Pre ban mags commanded a premium and so did pre 94 made weapons.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
All you need to know is it saved the children.... all of them
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
CT retained the 94 AWB and added even more restrictions after the Sandy Hook shooting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
It sucked. Paid $125 for a G21 mag
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
This ban will close any "loopholes" that still allow you to have anything effective against tyranny.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It banned certain features such as flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, and magazines over 10 round capacity for new manufacture. Otherwise, it was drive on as before, so you saw minor modifications and sales continued.

One of the interesting consequences is that it also coincided with the military drawdown, so makers of 30 round mags went out of business because they were making it on civilian sales, other parts makers for the military also had no sales. Thus when global war on terror cranks up, the .mil can't get mags and certain parts for weapons.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you need to know is it saved the children.... all of them
View Quote

Those nasty flash hiders, (pistol) grips, bayonet lugs, extendable stocks - they saved a ton of lives back then.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The next ban will be nothing like the 94 ban.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hate that terminology, anyway I have been a gun guy my whole life but only fudd guns until 2005.  I was too busy with life and raising a family to have paid any attn.  Tell me about the 94' ban,  were uppers available, parts, was it a manufacturing date ban or sell date shit out of luck with leftover inventory or what? Please fill me in.
View Quote

We still live under it here in ma. Until the recent re- interpretation of the law it was not to awfull, I think a lot of state attorneys general will go the "interpretation" route in the future
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those nasty flash hiders, (pistol) grips, bayonet lugs, extendable stocks - they saved a ton of lives back then.  
View Quote

Don't forget about the shoulder things that go up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will be fun and vitamin packed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Ar's, AK's and parts were plenty available, just in post ban configuration.  Pre ban stuff was available too at a premium.  Pre ban AK and AR mags were available at a reasonable price, but high cap handgun mags were high (100.00 Glock mags).  A lot of stress over building AR's with pre ban parts based on the manufacture date of the receiver.  People were steering away from new 9mm handguns b/c of the 10 round mags so 45 and I think even 10 mm became more popular.  Overall, it was just a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
You couldn't buy completed 2A with muzzle breaks, collaspable stocks and bayo lugs....

But you could buy the components (but couldn't assemble them),
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clinton #I said that it WILL save lives. Not sure who is dumber Clinton I or Clinton II.  Oh yeah and don't forget the shoulder thing that goes up on your list.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that too. Our elected officials are sooo smart. They must save us from ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It sucked. Paid $125 for a G21 mag
View Quote

In 1990’s $’s.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL you beat me to it!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The plus side-

Ammo and AK's were VERY cheap, and you could find plenty of pre-ban AK 30 round mags.

LOTS of good surplus Mosin Nagants, SKS, and commie handguns cheap.

The bad-

Mags for most guns was ridiculous.

The following ads sum up the times-

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Imagine Butler Creek  25rd 1022 mags going for $125. And Glock standard cap mags going for  $80 and up. And the only somewhat affordable mags for various guns were USA brand aftermarket mags that were a hit or miss in reliability.

It's the reason anybody who went through it owns a gazillion magazines.

But ironically AK mags I remember were cheaper then today.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We still live under it here in ma. Until the recent re- interpretation of the law it was not to awfull, I think a lot of state attorneys general will go the "interpretation" route in the future
View Quote

I bought a bunch of gunsmithing vids from a gunsmith out there, (you)?? Anyway he said F**k it red tape got outta hand.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep....they learned the lesson last time, there will be no sunset on the next one and it will be much more restrictive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#25]
someone please help me out here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClCMR58LV8

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just remember this, Bush said that if it hit his desk, he would sign a renewal!

For all of you crying about who's in the white house, remember this, it doesn't matter!!! All politicians could care less about the 2A and would give it up if it meant another term for them!
View Quote

I voted for both Bushes at the time.  The whole family can go to hell imho.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
CT retained the 94 AWB and added even more restrictions after the Sandy Hook shooting.
View Quote
NY did too, and went more derp than CT.  At least you can have pre-ban parts without restrictions... right?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep. its gonna be much worse.

our side is like the shitty generals who are always trying to fight today's war based on the last war

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Look at New York's Safe Act if you want to see the left's blueprint for the next AWB.  They will not repeat their imagined mistakes from 1994.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except it will be 87000x less useful due to the sheer amount of firearms in circulation.  By the time it passes, there will be what... 2...3...? firearms for every man, woman, and child (fuck all those who are confused) in the country?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Look at New York's Safe Act if you want to see the left's blueprint for the next AWB.  They will not repeat their imagined mistakes from 1994.
View Quote
NY successfully removed all standard cap mags from the state!  Hooray!  Yippee!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#32]
For AR's, it basically came down to this - no flash hider/muzzle device.  

Colt and all the rest cranked out a huge number of AR's just with a target crown/naked barrel.  

AK's came with butthole stocks, and there was a cottage industry relating to dumping the stock, swapping out some foreign parts and installing US parts to get around the ban.  

Short term panic on primers which ended pretty quickly.  

High cap mags for handguns was an issue.  Glock hi-cap mags were expensive.   Other brands, not really as much.

The game as the ban approached was to buy a bunch of mags, even if you did not own the weapon, so then if you bought the weapon in the future, you could dump the 10 round mag and use pre-ban hi cap mags.  

I think I still have 6 or 8 Beretta 92FS mags, but I still have never bought a B 92FS.    
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
There was NO DECREASE in gun deaths during the ban.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#34]
It was an annoying inconvenience compared to what’s coming down the pike. No sunset I’m sure.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You and I and everyone else here knows this, but I'll repeat it anyway.

After the next AWB in enacted into law, you can still own one of the guns on the banned list, if it is registered with ATF and FBI, complete with your fingerprints, photo ID, address, phone#, serial numbers of all
guns and magazines on the banned list....

Or, you can just give /sell them to the government to avoid prosecution and become a convicted felon.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about this. They have learned from their "mistakes" and will make it permanent, all parts, registration/confiscation, etc. It's a waste of time to worry about the old one or the new one.

If you want to know what to buy now... Buy it all. Mags have not quadrupled in price yet, they are still very affordable. But they will. Most people worry about lowers, but this is a holdover from the last one, and also outdated by the invention of the 3d printer. Buy what you need, but I personally don't see a reason to fill your garage with lowers. Get parts kits, barrels, etc. Those are harder to print.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
NY did too, and went more derp than CT.  At least you can have pre-ban parts without restrictions... right?  
View Quote

Yes, a preban rifle too but NOT the hicap mags...getting out of here is high on my list of things to do this year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The plus side-

Ammo and AK's were VERY cheap, and you could find plenty of pre-ban AK 30 round mags.

LOTS of good surplus Mosin Nagants, SKS, and commie handguns cheap.

The bad-

Mags for most guns was ridiculous.

The following ads sum up the times-

https://i.imgur.com/I5uOFlg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CNJ7ghV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2d6jv06.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ALVJGS5.jpg
View Quote

Those were golden days
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
NY successfully removed all standard cap mags from the state!  Hooray!  Yippee!  
View Quote

10 rounds or less right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Registration is the biggest thing to be resisted IMO
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Call me optimistic, but I don't think the Democrats have the 60 votes needed to pass anything as polarizing as another AWB.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Had about a two week notice when it was signed.
Out of that time I was able to order and receive 2 standard G17 mags 17 rounds each. for under 20 bux each.
After that they were as mentioned 100 + I still have one of those mags NIW .

Some mags did come down in price in the end but for 6 to 8 year Ar AK or any standard mag you needed was expensive but plentiful.

The threaded barrel thing about killed the silencer market. Pretty sure the 3 lug was born out of that.

Ammo and surplus reloading components were @ record lows due to Klinton closing mil bases.

Something like 8 billion rounds were tore down and sold to the public as components around 1996-98

Guns were pretty cheap. as mentioned it was guns with evil features that cost a penny or two.

Accessories Like mags, collapsible stocks, and threaded barrels were at the 4x to 6x price of 10 round mags fixed stocks and button end naked barrels.

Then there was the factory called USA magazines that popped up out of nowhere and flooded the market with cheap stamped metal mags for about any gun out there.

they were on average about 19 bux each but most didn't work or if used in a poly frame gun like H&K or Glock had a habit of shearing the mag catch.

Just like the ban they disappeared over night.

OH and lets not forget that Gov raids on the average public were @ a all time high with citizens being killed and a few citizens killing Gov employees back.

the 90's were really a fooked up time for gun owners.

One other important thing 90% of the poloticians that voted for the OMNIBUS crime bill were voted out of office in the next election.
The politicians will really start to shine with AWB 2.0

Sadly the 1994 OMNIBUS crime bill was never really about guns.
But that's for a different post/thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#44]
As has been stated, the worst part of the ban was the magazine restriction (and cost of "pre-ban" magazines).

As far as rifles were concerned, for the most part it meant no collapsible stock, no flash suppressor, and no bayo lug.

My ban era gun looked like this Bushmaster:

ETA:  Except slightly purple with a canted front sight, both of which were popular at the time.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Registration is the biggest thing to be resisted IMO
View Quote

that is one of the big things they pushed for post-sandy hook, to go along with universal background checks. thsi was december 2012, january 2013, no coincidence it was right after an election so they didnt give  a shit about elections.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#46]
The lower you bought before the ban.
If unassembled, could only be assembled as a post ban gun.

Those lowers were sold at a premium price to east coast ban states...
After 2004, that was they only way those citizens could have a preban.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Call me optimistic, but I don't think the Democrats have the 60 votes needed to pass anything as polarizing as another AWB.
View Quote

your optimistic thinking they need 60 votes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who can forget barrel shrouds?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just remember this, Bush said that if it hit his desk, he would sign a renewal!

For all of you crying about who's in the white house, remember this, it doesn't matter!!! All politicians could care less about the 2A and would give it up if it meant another term for them!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,another win for Republicans!

#winning
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top