Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2021 4:48:46 PM EDT
Okay, so just this week Ian from Forgotten Weapons dropped a series of short videos that do a fantastic job of simply explaining various self-loading firearm operating principles, as well as a few other "how do it work?" topics.

They're brief (most are around 3 minutes) he explains things using real guns, and they are written to where they are very easy to grasp, whether you have much knowledge about firearms or not.

I hate Youtube...

So, I know all of us interwebz geniuses that post here know all about roller-delay and lever-delay systems, and could give doctoral-level dissertations about the advantages of short-recoil vs. long-recoil operation, but just in case there's anyone out there that might not be as smart as us, check these videos out.  

Thanks Ian!

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Night shift bump...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I will check them out thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Excuse me while I whip this out....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder if he's learned what a P38 extractor looks like yet?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
That dude is just cool as hell. I'm not being facetious.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump for Monday morning
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
He always does a great job of explaining complex principles and systems in a simple and easy to understand manner.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#10]
good videos
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#11]
His was the first gun channel that I found that was worth a crap.  Others were more about the guy thinking he looked cool shooting his new whatever gun.  I was surprised when I first read of someone not liking Ian.  He is a smart guy that has access to a lot of cool guns and explains them very well.   I can get past the hair very quickly once he begins to speak.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

are you one of those "gotcha" people

gun community is full of people who like to harp on someone not knowing something, no matter how obscure
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He always does a great job of explaining complex principles and systems in a simple and easy to understand manner.
View Quote

These videos certainly would have saved me a lot of reading and confused agitation 10-15 years ago.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Isn't he antifa?

jk
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

gun community is full of people who like to harp on someone not knowing something, no matter how obscure
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think"extractors" are obscure. I mean Ray Charles could find it...

If you are a "Jesus" with guns and the loaded cartridge indicator pops out and you call it the extractor..which is to the left and they look nothing alike. Well....

He makes neat videos because he has access to them.

Good on him.

But he makes statements that question his actual "jesus" status...lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool videos. Those were interesting videos.  I definitely learned a few things.  Thanks for posting these up OP.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you are a "Jesus" with guns and the loaded cartridge indicator pops out and you call it the extractor..which is to the left and they look nothing alike. Well....

Good on him.

View Quote

He’s not the one that created the Jesus moniker.

I’m sure you’ll never flub a line or say something wrong if you film thousands of hours of video.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Will comply, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He's not the one that created the Jesus moniker.

I'm sure you'll never flub a line or say something wrong if you film thousands of hours of video.
View Quote
I know I'll never misidentify what an extractor is..besides when Karl told him it wasn't an extractor his response was "whatever"...lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know I'll never misidentify what an extractor is..besides when Karl told him it wasn't an extractor his response was "whatever"...lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you'll never flub a line or say something wrong if you film thousands of hours of video.

Link to your vast library of gun videos?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Ian is ( or should be ) a National Treasure .
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link to your vast library of gun videos?
View Quote
Sorry my video skills don't allow me to film as much as I want.  But I know quite a bit about firearms and how they work and how to fix them.  I generally work on disproving the online myths that crop up due to everyone repeating gun show waiting line stories etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most gun owners have an inferiority complex.
Stereotypes exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I like his videos.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I assumed the "Jesus" moniker had more to do with his look vs his omnipotence regarding firearms.

I enjoy his work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm usually not into weird folding guns, but that seems oddly workable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  Okay, so just this week Ian from Forgotten Weapons dropped a series of short videos that do a fantastic job of simply explaining various self-loading firearm operating principles, as well as a few other "how do it work?" topics.

They're brief (most are around 3 minutes) he explains things using real guns, and they are written to where they are very easy to grasp, whether you have much knowledge about firearms or not.

I hate Youtube...

So, I know all of us interwebz geniuses that post here know all about roller-delay and lever-delay systems, and could give doctoral-level dissertations about the advantages of short-recoil vs. long-recoil operation, but just in case there's anyone out there that might not be as smart as us, check these videos out.  

Thanks Ian!
View Quote

I hate YouTube as well:

https://utreon.com/c/forgottenweapons/videos
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I teach this shit for a living and a lot of times I say Extractor when I mean ejector and visa versa. Or sometimes it is in reference to some other gun part.

Hell I have even called a barrel a stock before (and we both know that wasn't because I can not tell the two things apart) . Its more of my mouth not keeping up with my brain than anything else.

I am thinking of the right part but it comes out wrong when I say it.

It does not mean that I don't know what I am talking about it just shows that people have flaws and no ones perfect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Straightforward, educational, interesting content. Love the forgotten videos. Especially since there isn't multiple minutes of stupid filler.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound great.  You should make gun videos and show Ian how it's done.

Seriously though, you realize that by the time of that incident, they could have been filming for several hours straight and everyone was tired?   Shit happens.    Virtually every you tuber I watch has flubs and screwups.   Sometimes they correct it with popup text, sometimes they don't.   It's what happens when you do virtually everything yourself.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which one is that!
View Quote

Burgess folding / slide action shotgun
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Seriously though, you realize that by the time of that incident, they could have been filming for several hours straight and everyone was tired?   Shit happens.    Virtually every you tuber I watch has flubs and screwups.   Sometimes they correct it with popup text, sometimes they don't.   It's what happens when you do virtually everything yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Isn't he antifa?

jk
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I teach this shit for a living and a lot of times I say Extractor when I mean ejector and visa versa. Or sometimes it is in reference to some other gun part.

Hell I have even called a barrel a stock before (and we both know that wasn't because I can not tell the two things apart) . Its more of my mouth not keeping up with my brain than anything else.

I am thinking of the right part but it comes out wrong when I say it.

It does not mean that I don't know what I am talking about it just shows that people have flaws and no ones perfect.
View Quote
Extractor/ejector are easy screws ups just getting tongue tied.

The loaded cartridge indicator looks nothing like an extractor or ejector however..
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I often times forget the names of basic things, so I just say "you know the fucking thing"

Go troll some other thread and quit being a cunt.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone who hasn't made a video before, take it from someone who's made over 100 technical videos without a script or teleprompter. As soon as the camera turns on your ability to get words out of your mouth in a coherent way drops in half. In my case, by 3/4.  

For those that can speak on camera for 20 or 30 minutes without a single flub, my hats off to you. For the rest of us we can either keep making bloopers until we get one right, have lots of edits in it or just get as close was we can and then put in some correction text...assuming we catch it. And there's nothing I hate more than watching my own videos over and over looking for mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I always thought the Dean at TSJC gunsmithing could do those videos.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
They weren't filming it for "hours".  
Ian was shooting it in a match and it jammed. He looked at ity confusingly for a moment and called to Karl.."your guns broke".  Karl asked what happened and Ian said the "extractor broke"..as Karl grabbed it Ian says the "ejector" came loose... Karl goes thats not the ejector it's the loaded cartridge indicator. Ian is like "ok, well something broke in there..."

Wonder why he didn't clear the stoppage himself....maybe he didn't know how?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Isn't he antifa?

jk
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I always thought the Dean at TSJC gunsmithing could do those videos.
View Quote

Yes I think he could also...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ian was shooting it in a match and it jammed. He looked at ity confusingly for a moment and called to Karl.."your guns broke".  Karl asked what happened and Ian said the "extractor broke"..as Karl grabbed it Ian says the "ejector" came loose... Karl goes thats not the ejector it's the loaded cartridge indicator. Ian is like "ok, well something broke in there..."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Straightforward, educational, interesting content. Love the forgotten videos. Especially since there isn't multiple minutes of stupid filler.
View Quote

I always have some of his videos on my recommended list and I watch them. He has great presentation and his videos aren't full of any fluff, unlike most other guys. Hell, I watched a couple vids of his last night on the Oly Arms OA96? I think it was. The little AR pistol that was in Clear and Present Danger.
ETA: Correction
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sorry my video skills don't allow me to film as much as I want.  But I know quite a bit about firearms and how they work and how to fix them.  I generally work on disproving the online myths that crop up due to everyone repeating gun show waiting line stories etc.
View Quote

Good for you,thank you for your service...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good on him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good on him.

They call him Jesus from his hair/beard.

Not because he’s omnipotent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Isn't he antifa?

jk
View Quote

No.
Black Hebrew Israelite. Duh.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’re right.  It couldn’t possibly be because he was trying to document and explain the stoppage for viewers on the fly immediately after shooting a stage and flubbed it.

This clearly bothers you.  I think you should link the video here so we can evaluate it ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks OP. Watched (1) & will watch moar later...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top