Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2021 4:33:08 PM EDT
Just watched the Washington post video ( i know i know) about the capitol breach, the video was fair and actually shows the AA cop who shot Babbitt as she climbed into the window.

I was home and watching live feeds but didn't see this much detail in the moment.  But I genuinely sat up on the couch and said to my wife " good god I think its Actually happening"

she agreed and we started to prepare our Bug out protocol as we live only 15 minutes away from the white house.

Here's the question and its strictly opinionated:

How close were we to the events on 1-6 to kicking off  a civil war, boog, igloo, etc?

Please keep it civil, and mods if this belongs in the new political thread please move it, I'm fairly new here still.

Thanks in advanced for all your insights.
here is a link to the video in case anybody is interested in watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibWJO02nNsY
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Thousands of miles away.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Not close at all.  Unarmed crowd, dispersed after making a point.  While I don't condone the forcible entry nor any destruction of public property, nor injury to persons, I do understand the frustration and anger that drove that crowd to action that day.  I wasn't there and wouldn't have entered, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thousands of miles away.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it hinged on Trump.

Someone here said "He dipped his toe in the Rubicon and turned around."  Seems to sum it up

In retrospect, not even close at all knowing that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
YouTube now has a disclaimer that Joe Biden is president
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
We never came within a million miles.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Not even close, we have no centralized organization. Until a few states start acting brazen nothing will happen. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If the media said that it was an insurrection and could have led to civil war, then that’s what happened.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It was a protest with trespassing and vandilism, much milder than most antifa or blm riots. Well except for the jittery cop who shot the unarmed women.

Now congress might be pissed but they deserve to be protested continuously until moral improves.

Not close at all to answer your question.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely miles away from the likes of Lexington & Concord.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Not even close

When people are dressed like this

It's not serious
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Not close at all.

This was allowed to happen.  Kabuki.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Not even remotely close, and WAPO is fucking trash.  You'll know you're in a war when the people that the govt represents are being attacked.  That means multinational corporations, and their mouth pieces, DC works for them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
It wasn't a coup attempt, nor was it an insurrection.

Until that happens, then we aren't really close.

Biden coming after the guns may push things over the edge into a boil, but no one is coming to save the conservatives.  We know the military won't and the cops won't either. Either we save ourselves through the system, or outside the system, or we go quietly into the night.  

Only silver lining is if they start purging the cops and the military of people who are politically "unreliable" is it might actually make them unreliable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Not even on the same continent.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
IMO OP, not even close. A small group of people, basically unarmed and unorganized, create a ruckus. If it was "planned", it was a pretty poor plan.

Thank the MSM for making it sound like we were moments away from the fall of the United States.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Turns out those chances were zero.  Keyboard warriors have been making big talk for months about 'taking back the country' after a 'stolen election'.  This was their one, big chance.  Turns out they were all talk.  Either they don't actually believe that democracy is imperiled beyond correction or they're actually too afraid to do anything about it.  I'm leaning more towards the latter.  Next time some Trumper starts down their "i'M a pAtTrIot!!" routine I think I'm scientifically correct in calling them a pussy.  

As far as civil wars and revolutions in modern times, they don't happen on full stomachs.  As long as a populace is fat and entertained there is virtually no amount of bullshit they are not willing to process to remain in that state.  Look at the Arab Spring for lessons.  These people were subjugated and brutalized for decades under various regimes... but it basically took the economic crash of 2008 and regional famines before the desperation gave way into action.  Americans are not desperate, yet.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Agreed, not even close.

I believe we actually were closer days later, with some of the mil vs civ friction regarding illegal orders, political vetting of troops, etc, than during the actual demonstration and trespass event.   But even then, this was not yet a trigger.

Remember that the Boston Massacre was 4 years before Lexington and Concord, and even the "last straw" Boston Tea Party was 18 months prior.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe it was close. Lexington close. We had our own 'shot heard round the world' moment with Ashlii, but in this case, and to my surprise, there was only one shot. Had a melee ensued on Capitol grounds, which would have certainly resulted in many unarmed citizens being massacred, I believe things would have kicked off across the nation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not close at all.  Unarmed crowd, dispersed after making a point.  While I don't condone the forcible entry nor any destruction of public property, nor injury to persons, I do understand the frustration and anger that drove that crowd to action that day.  I wasn't there and wouldn't have entered, but that's just me.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I've said it here a thousand times but country has already gone off the cliff. Arguably it already was over a 100 years ago. We've all remained fat and happy because it's a long free fall before we hit those rocks below and go splat.

This whole damn thing is headed for collapse and ultimately civil war or violent revolution. It's inevitable. But we still have a long way to fall yet before we really hit those rocks.

Things will slowly and steadily get worse, probably for a few more generations, before the real boog kicks off. It will have to get a lot worse before good people are Willi g to sacrifice everything to change it.

In the mean time, 1/6 was just a fart in the wind. It was a lot of justifiably angry folks legitimately protesting along with a hand full of assholes that decided to turn it into a giant embarrasing shit show that only served embolden our enemies.

It wasnt even remotely close.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Turns out those chances were zero.  Keyboard warriors have been making big talk for months about 'taking back the country' after a 'stolen election'.  This was their one, big chance.
View Quote

Lol no.  This wasn't a "big chance" to do anything except get gunned down.

This isn't the kinda war you can win by taking the enemy's HQ.  George Washington didn't sail to England and spit in George III's ear.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#24]
If Trump had said fo we'd have found out.

Is that close? In my book yes, but since it seems Trump had no desire to be the man who started CWII we'll never know.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty good assessment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#26]
interesting responses all saying not even close,

in retrospect I agree, however as I stated with my wife while we were prepping.

"if .mil or .gov start mowing people down unarmed indiscriminately, we are at war."

would that be an over dramatic take on the "what if" scenario that seemed for a few hours could  have happened?

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#27]
This was like "storming Area 51" only this time it worked. Like they were let in or something.

I'm surprised I didn't see anyone Naruto running through the WH.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I think we were close on election day. I think we were close the day the USSC ruled against Trump.

Had we won either of those events, it well could have been 'on', as soon as the left started protesting/rioting. But it didn't happen that way. The window for overt violence, at least in the short term, has passed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Not even remotely close
People brought cell phones instead of ARs
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In the mean time, 1/6 was just a fart in the wind. It was a lot of justifiably angry folks legitimately protesting along with a hand full of assholes that decided to turn it into a giant embarrasing shit show that only served embolden our enemies.
View Quote

I'd like to know what constitutes a 'handful' in your mind.  

Looks more like shitload.  Maybe not a fuckton.  Definitely a large gagglefuck.  Handful my ass, though... (that's not an invitation, by the way.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#31]
unarmed protesters
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Many here are thinking in the context of the unarmed citizens being the initiator. The Capitol riot was never about overtaking the government, despite what the media would like you to believe. I'd bet 90%+ of the protestors there were law abiding, gun-owning citizens who left their arms at home.

However...

When an unarmed and unthreatening petite White woman is shot and killed, at point blank range, for an offense that didn't warrant lethal action, then at that moment the entire situation becomes very high risk for spinning out of control. Had we seen gunfire exchanged there, I believe we would now be looking at an entirely different situation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#33]
If folks wanted to start a war they wouldn't have gone there unarmed.

Also, remember who shot first.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Didn't even begin to scratch the surface. Now, had the entire "mob" there that day stormed the building... We might be somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Turns out those chances were zero.  Keyboard warriors have been making big talk for months about 'taking back the country' after a 'stolen election'.  This was their one, big chance.  Turns out they were all talk.  Either they don't actually believe that democracy is imperiled beyond correction or they're actually too afraid to do anything about it.  I'm leaning more towards the latter.  Next time some Trumper starts down their "i'M a pAtTrIot!!" routine I think I'm scientifically correct in calling them a pussy.  

As far as civil wars and revolutions in modern times, they don't happen on full stomachs.  As long as a populace is fat and entertained there is virtually no amount of bullshit they are not willing to process to remain in that state.  Look at the Arab Spring for lessons.  These people were subjugated and brutalized for decades under various regimes... but it basically took the economic crash of 2008 and regional famines before the desperation gave way into action.  Americans are not desperate, yet.  Not even close.
View Quote

There's a point worth noting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Not even close.  It was just a blip that day on the minds of 99.99 percent of nation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#37]
FPNI

Even if events of 1/6 had gone differently and something much more significant had happened at that event, the vast majority of people, even those who believe the election stolen, won't near that line. And the entire government is out to protect themselves, even the people you think is on your side are really just there to give the illusion that they're working for "we the people". They're actors playing their part in a play.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
wrong, baracky obammmy piled weapons and cash into ahab spring, that is why it kicked off and gave birth to isis, it was his baby, and wow, here he is back in charge
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2021/01/14/crowds-push-at-barricades-e50f7afab1a1eb8e8da9069639dc287dba587da0-s1300-c85.jpg

Looks more like shitload.  Maybe not a fuckton.  Definitely a large gagglefuck.  Handful my ass, though... (that's not an invitation, by the way.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2021/01/14/crowds-push-at-barricades-e50f7afab1a1eb8e8da9069639dc287dba587da0-s1300-c85.jpg

Still not seeing it. 12 people, at most, directly or indirectly pushing six sections of barricade. The sections of barricades in the back of the photo are untouched.

So, I guess it’s two handfuls.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Still not seeing it. 12 people, at most, directly and indirectly pushing on the barricade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still not seeing it. 12 people, at most, directly and indirectly pushing on the barricade.

It was a minority of the people at one rally. Call it whatever you want.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Portland, OR was literally worse YESTERDAY, and shitloads () of other times in recent years. The Capitol thing was a tiny fraction of rally attendees getting aaaalmost as rowdy as antifa gets on a Wednesday.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Not even on the same planet.

When everybody decided to follow the law and showed up unarmed, that took any possibility out of the question. The only thing that might have changed that is if the cops started mowing people down with machine guns and they're not stupid enough to do that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Not remotely close enough for grown-ups to wonder.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#45]
FPNI x 1k.

Not only are we not close. The patriots could not win at this time. There are simply not enough people mentally ready to do what needs to be done. Not oppressed enough.
Not to mention a half dozen charismatic leaders with their shit together to lead such an undertaking.

Although....? These things do tend to take on a life of their own and that one spark that unties the masses usually happens under less than expected circumstances and times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thousands of miles away.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
You never played red rover as a kid?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think it hinged on Trump.

Someone here said "He dipped his toe in the Rubicon and turned around."  Seems to sum it up

In retrospect, not even close at all knowing that.
View Quote

This. And as the other poster said, "Unarmed crowd, dispersed after making a point".
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#49]
when enough people can convince themselves that juvenile pranks by a bunch of [ETA: unarmed] jovial but fed-up people are VIOLENT ANGRY INSURRECTIONISTS, it doesn't matter how close we were.  Next time someone farts on a capitol tour it'll get turned into the first shot fired in CWII.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#50]
OP, if you live 15 mins from the white house I hope you're on the right side of the potomac

I saw them shut the bridges down prior to the inauguration...that would freak me out if I lived there.

Speed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top