Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 10:54:14 PM EDT
Kerry tells of flying a jet over Israel

By Nedra Pickler, Associated Press Writer  |  May 3, 2004

WASHINGTON --John Kerry wasn't kidding when he told the Anti-Defamation League that he had a different perspective on Israel. Probably no one else in the room has seen the country upside down from an Israeli Air Force jet.

Kerry said Monday that Tel Aviv kept denying his request to fly one of their planes, but that the colonel who was showing him around Israel during a 1991 visit not only got him into a trainer, but let him take the controls.

"I take it off, we go up into the sky, climb up, head down toward Aqaba," the senator said. "And I wanted to look at Aqaba, so I'm coming down over Aqaba, and I suddenly hear this voice on the intercom, and he says, 'Senator, you'd better turn faster, you're going over Egypt.'"

Kerry said the colonel then gave him permission to do "a little aerobatics" and that he made a loop at about 12,000 feet.

"To be able to come out upside down and look down and catch the horizon in back of me and see all the way down into the Sinai to the old base that had been given up, all the way across into Jordan, all the way out into the Gulf of Aqaba, and to see Israel beneath me, and the lines contained, and to see it all upside down was the perfect way to see the Middle East and Israel," he said.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]

I heard he also saved the world by defeating three outlaws from the planet Krypton.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Didn't he also invent the internet, like his predecessor?

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The question is, "Did he have to wear a flight suit".  Seems that when GWB complied with basic aviation safety flying the S-3, the lib's felt he had no right and should have worn his business suit!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Dupe topic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top