Page / 7
Posted: 1/20/2021 10:33:10 AM EDT
Or is this short lived?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#1]
FJB
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Because the vast majority of AR owners have bought enough to last a lifetime already.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Give it a few weeks.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because the vast majority of AR owners have bought enough to last a lifetime already.
View Quote

This.

You don't consume magazines.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Most people have 3-4 magazines for each gun they own and thats more than enough.

I understand why they are sitting on the shelves

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Because they made a fuck ton of them and they are easy to produce
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
What good are mags with no ammo to put in them?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

SPNI. Millions were cranked out prior to the 2016 election JIC FHRC won. The market was flooded with mags for a period after and that flood was a significant representation of stocking up during the salad days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The $4.99 mag deal from GO in November might of relieved some pressure for enthusiasts like ourselves.  Might be an indicator of how many mags are on the market right now, and also an indicator that many people believe they have what they need.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Most people dont have ammo to put in them?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I've only had 3 aluminum mags and 2 pmags fail in all the years i've been shooting. Most of those were from drops on cement or doing something dumb like throwing a brick in the back of the truck and smashing an empty mag.  I think i've lost a couple too, i know a 20 rounder fell out of my jacket coyote hunting a couple winters ago.

At that rate of consumption i'm generationally ok for mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#12]
because despite the blah blah i lived through the first AWB bullshit from boomers that first go around, magazines dont get lost or broken anywhere NEAR as much as the fudds say they do.

10 PMAGs will last your run of the mill AR owner 50 fuckin years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I found a guy on GB selling a ton of mags. Cases were $800 pre GA runoff. Then $989 after. Now they are at $1200.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]
And yet once news of a proposed federal ban on “high capacity” magazines starts making the rounds, they’ll be gone in 3 days
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The people that know, already have mags.

The newbies haven't seen the flag go up yet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
because despite the blah blah i lived through the first AWB bullshit from boomers that first go around, magazines dont get lost or broken anywhere NEAR as much as the fudds say they do.

View Quote

If you train regularly, 10 mags will not last 50 years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you believe the run of the mill AR owner trains regularly?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or is this short lived?
View Quote

as soon as biden does a potus speech screeching about banning assault rifles and high cap mags... they will vanish lickity split.

i ordered 30 glock 9mm magazines yesterday alone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

So train with 5 and keep 5 for a loadout?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This. I've only had 3 aluminum mags and 2 pmags fail in all the years i've been shooting. Most of those were from drops on cement or doing something dumb like throwing a brick in the back of the truck and smashing an empty mag.
View Quote

No doubt.

I own like 30 mags.

In my 10 years of shooting, I've had 2 mags go "bad". One was a 20rd PMAG where the follower would bind up as it traveled up the magazine and the other was a metal 30rd with a similar problem. My guess is I smashed them enough to flex the case transporting them or something.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Volume is king.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and when mags are hard to get due to a ban, they become REALLY sought after..... ranges will be targeted for theft, and  someone steals your range bag out of your car... then what?

id just go back home and pop open a ammo can and pick the new mags to use from a wide variety of spare mags...  if you only had 5 - 10 total, your now fucked.

what about your future kids / grandkids? you want to pass on a few 15 / 30 rd mags to your new son and daughter / grand kids? you might want more than 10 on hand to do that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I love buying mags. After the last go round I just buy a few every time I'm at the store and I too am shocked they aren't all sold out. I think it's largely due to the panic this time is mostly comprised of a lot of newer shooters that don't know the magazines are targeted as heavily as they are. Wait until Biden starts actively talking about magazines and I imagine there will be a run.

I have been meaning to get just a couple more 40 round PMAGs before I'm satisfied this time, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. It might be starting real soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wut?  I have friends still using mags they carried in Cental and South America in the eighties.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most people have 3-4 magazines for each gun they own and thats more than enough.

I understand why they are sitting on the shelves

View Quote

Shit, was I wrong to buy 20?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.   There are probably more than a billion AR mags out there now.

There will be an archeologist 10,000 years from now digging up Pmag after Pmag and thinking "What the fuck are all these things for?  Most are still in this plastic wrap."
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#27]
What are people supposed to fill them with?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Everyone I know already has 20+ AR mags. Most people dont need or want 100 of them. Shit I would bet 5-10 is enough for most AR owners.

Plus the Dems are getting trickier, if they do a mag ban there either wont be grandfathering and/or they will ban all sales of them, new, used, private, etc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this is it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#30]
5 years into the clinton mag ban, i never encountered anyone who said " man, im glad i didnt buy more mags when they were cheap and easy to get " / " im totally happy with my 10 ar mags and 3 glock mags..

i wonder why?

i did encounter tons of new shooters who cried hard that they could not afford $100 buck 15 rd glock mags to use in their shiny new 10 rd g-17 / g-19 etc. and many wished their dad etc had bought some extra to hand down to them. though.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Pepperidge farms remembers

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I've picked up another 10 pack off PSA but I figure 30 will last me.  Not much to put in them these days in any event.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and they're easy as shit to make. A magazine is essentially just a small plastic or metal box with a spring and another piece of plastic inside. The manufacturers all ramped up capacity in 2013 and can keep cranking them out by the truckload. Ammo is a lot more complicated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are a currency among gun people, like $10 and $20 bills.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Most people dont have ammo to put in them?
View Quote

No need to buy serially, i.e. ammo first and mags second. That order can be reversed with no ill effect.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

ammo will come back, might be a little more expensive, but it will come back.. banned mags not so much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. The newbies seem to be happy with their 2 to 6 magazines. Once they live through a ban scare, they will come to the realization that those are rookie numbers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#41]
200 dollar tax per mag adds up
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Everyone who’s owned an AR for a while already has more than they need. Everyone who is buying their first one probably doesn’t realize they should buy a ton of mags and gets maybe five, max. Any Fudds who are buying an AR probably only buys one mag, because when are they going to need more than 20 or 30 rounds?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#44]
The AR market has this covered. And here I am, unable to find any 10rd mags for my HK.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#45]
its not just about ar mags.  

how many mags do you have for your ccw pistol?  your home defense pistol? pistols your interested in buying down the road? your semi auto 22 rifles?  your womans ccw gun? have you considered your kids and grandkids, and picked up some extra mags and such for the coming generation of shooters needing self defense guns / mags?

in this thread we see people who have never lived thru a mag ban and fail to understand its long term effects, on both shooters and the coming generations of shooters and this thread makes me sad as fuck as its filled with extreme short sightedness.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Yep, those of us who have been through this already know the game and have been ready.  I don't think I'll buy another AR or AK mag as long as I live.  I could still use more SCAR 17 and SR 25 mags long term, but I have enough to not buy at a premium.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the new AR owners think one is enough!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Backpacks, carriers, belts, guns... all full of magazines. Going through my range bag last night there were four empties. Another half a dozen under the back seat of my truck. The men in blue helmets will have pinned me down and poked me full of holes long before I'll ever need to reload a mag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
its not just about ar mags.  

how many mags do you have for your ccw pistol?  your home defense pistol? pistols your interested in buying down the road? your semi auto 22 rifles?  your womans ccw gun? have you considered your kids and grandkids, and picked up some extra mags and such for the coming generation of shooters needing self defense guns / mags?

in this thread we see people who have never lived thru a mag ban and fail to understand its long term effects and this thread makes me sad as fuck as its filled with short sightedness.
View Quote

Been buying all the mags the past 6 months since ammo has been unobtanium at even a decent panic level price.

I still need another RAR 308 mag though as I only have one
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What are people supposed to fill them with?
View Quote

The ammo that was widely available and cheap for YEARS.

At least, that’s what the ants will fill them with.

The grasshoppers...not so much.

ETA: In 2019 I remember getting, like, two marketing emails per week from SG Ammo. Each email started with something like this: “Folks, ammo is now widely available and the cheapest it has been in years! You had better stock up because we can promise you this will not last. We’ve ‘been there, done that’. Buy it now or regret not buying it later.”  

In other words...it’s not as if people weren’t warned. But just as we saw with toilet paper last March - and are seeing with ammo now - a majority of Americans simply aren’t prepared for the proverbial lights to go out tomorrow
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top