Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:17 AM EDT
I'm talking about pathetically bad design aspects.  

For example, Germany went to WW1 with a rifle with a minimum elevation setting of 400 meters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#1]
USFA Zip 22: How a Garbage Gun Destroyed A Good Company

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI, but also "pull trigger to release slide". Unless I'm sending a bullet dowrange or practicing same, I should not be pulling a trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For example, Germany went to WW1 with a rifle with a minimum elevation setting of 400 meters.
View Quote

I mean, all countries went in to WWI with fairly comparable rifles. People still hadn’t figured out how best to take advantage of smokeless powder and thought that pushing for the most range possible was the way to go.

I will humbly nominate the M16 forward assist. A non-solution to a non-problem that was devised by people who only knew (and only cared for) the mighty M1.

Or, alternatively, Glock style trigger safeties

Another good nominee is the M1’s safety being inside the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Winchester 1911 shotgun - widow maker

Winchester 1911 "Widow Maker" 12 Gauge
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
GRIPZONE
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
GRIPZONE
View Quote

This.
Some of the nominations are from yesteryear or had good intentions but bad execution...so you can see atleast that they were thinking.
"Grip zone" is not only patronizing it's also just so unbelievably dumb. That they went out of their way to include that into the design. It wasn't an oversight or an mistake. It was deliberately left in my teams of engineers, managers, designers...so I gotta ask, What were they thinking?!?!?
I would also like to nominate the new remington r51. Where the steel locking block was locking into the aluminum receiver shelf. But still not as bad as the grip zone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:35:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zadbdIbCw
View Quote

Came across one of these a few weeks ago. Glad I didn't try and load it!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FPNI, but also "pull trigger to release slide". Unless I'm sending a bullet dowrange or practicing same, I should not be pulling a trigger.
View Quote

I had a Sauer 1913 pocket pistol with that and the thinking at the time was, if you had to reload your carry pistol it meant you were in serious trouble and would panic pull the trigger.  After shooting some timed comps, I can see how tunnel vision and that mind set came about.

It's like progressive triggers in Euro arms like Erma SMGs and AUGs, where you're in control if you are taking aimed, semi shots, but if you need FA, it's probably a dicey situation and you'd be more likely to just jerk the trigger back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Some idiot decided to put the Loaded Chamber Indicator directly in line with the front sight...and yes it partially obscures the front sight.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:04:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GRIPZONE
View Quote

Lol. This was my first thought when I read the post title before I even opened this thread.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
500m Sights on European Pistols

I mean what the fuck?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
500m Sights on European Pistols

I mean what the fuck?
View Quote

Volley fire, bitch.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#15]
First thing I thought was GRIPZONE. It’s just inexplicably bad. Someone explain it to me. You can’t.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Grip zone
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had one of those. Was interesting. Winchester didn’t want to pay the pattens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

At that time having a handle for cycling the bolt was patented. They had to do something different or pay licensing fees.

There are lots odd features on older guns for the same reason. Take the awkward trigger linkage on the hipower - why didn't JMB use the same system as the 1911? Because he had a patent on it which he'd just transferred to colt along with the production rights to the design.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll be that guy who brings up "This side towards Arabs".
View Quote

Don't forget their product line that looks like a "Mom can we have KAC/we have KAC at home" meme.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#21]
GREAT QUESTION.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Galil bottle opener
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone, not just the Germans, thought the next war would be another form up in firing lines and shoot at each other for a couple of hours affair. They wanted sights for maximum possible range and with large point blank zones which they got.

Starting the thread of with an example of something that made sense for the design goals but the poster doesn't understand those design goals isn't a good way to set the tone for the thread...

And, btw, at the same time Germany was adopting a service rifle with a 400yd min sight, we had a 300yd min sight on ours.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The M1903 Springfield's "battle sight" is set to something like 453 Yards. Just saying.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Chauchat open magazine.  Nothing better than a pound of mud in your mag and action.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

At that time having a handle for cycling the bolt was patented. They had to do something different or pay licensing fees.

There are lots odd features on older guns for the same reason. Take the awkward trigger linkage on the hipower - why didn't JMB use the same system as the 1911? Because he had a patent on it which he'd just transferred to colt along with the production rights to the design.
View Quote

Because due to the design of the frame, and the width of the BHP's magazine, a 1911 style trigger linkage wouldn't fit....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because due to the design of the frame, and the width of the BHP's magazine, a 1911 style trigger linkage wouldn't fit....
View Quote

All the companies making double-stack 1911-style pistols would disagree.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:26:26 AM EDT
[#28]

You people need to re-calibrate your "bad" meters.  Grip zone is just cheezy, it's not actively BAD.  It doesn't harm you or the function of the gun in any way like the provided example of minimum 400m sights.  Or the abortion in the first post.

With the zip gun already covered, I guess I would go with .45 GAP
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

All the companies making double-stack 1911-style pistols would disagree.
View Quote
Didn't they have like 75 or 100 years after the first 1911 to figure that out?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Years ago I was at a gunshop and someone was doing a transfer on two USSF single action army revolvers.  I got a chance to look at one and was pretty impressed with what I saw.  

Started thinking about that recently and went to see whatever happened to that company and read about the Zip 22...Hands down has to be one of the most retarded moves a firearms company ever made.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#31]
The take down lever on ruger 22 pistols should have been made different.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All the companies making double-stack 1911-style pistols in 1935 would disagree.
View Quote

Fixed that for ya chief

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Years ago I was at a gunshot and someone was doing a transfer on two USSF single action army revolvers.  I got a chance to look at one and was pretty impressed with what I saw.  

Started thinking about that recently and went to see whatever happened to that company and read about the Zip 22...Hands down has to be one of the most retarded moves a firearms company ever made.
View Quote

Lol, may have been me. I bought a pair of case hardened pre-wars at the Harrisburg show in around 04-05ish. Used them in cowboy action for a few years
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Safety inside the trigger guard.  I have a pump shotgun I inherited with that feature.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fixed that for ya chief

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the companies making double-stack 1911-style pistols in 1935 would disagree.

Fixed that for ya chief

Making the trigger bow wider to go around a wider magazine isn't exactly something that took a revolution in engineering.
Browning wanted to use the same mechanism, but it was covered by patent that he'd sold to Colt. He literally had to work around his own prior designs.

ETA:
Quoted:
Didn't they have like 75 or 100 years after the first 1911 to figure that out?

Figure out how to make a stamped loop wider? Not rocket science. The hammer, sear, disconnector are functionally identical. It's basically just a wider trigger bow/loop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#36]
They work, but the FN2000 has a look only Master Chief could love.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.
Some of the nominations are from yesteryear or had good intentions but bad execution...so you can see atleast that they were thinking.
"Grip zone" is not only patronizing it's also just so unbelievably dumb. That they went out of their way to include that into the design. It wasn't an oversight or an mistake. It was deliberately left in my teams of engineers, managers, designers...so I gotta ask, What were they thinking?!?!?
I would also like to nominate the new remington r51. Where the steel locking block was locking into the aluminum receiver shelf. But still not as bad as the grip zone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GRIPZONE

This.

While its dumb, it has no effect on function so I see it as a nonissue.  Other than ridiculing the marketing dept.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You people need to re-calibrate your "bad" meters.  Grip zone is just cheezy, it's not actively BAD.  It doesn't harm you or the function of the gun in any way like the provided example of minimum 400m sights.  Or the abortion in the first post.

With the zip gun already covered, I guess I would go with .45 GAP
View Quote

I've fucked with a couple guys trying to unload GAP glocks on local boards.  Just cause you jumped on the bandwagon doesnt mean it's worth $700.  And you certainly shouldn't advertise it as a .45
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Smith and Wesson Hillary hole. Can apply that to all Taurus guns that include the Hillary hole as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I
Years ago I was at a gunshop and someone was doing a transfer on two USSF single action army revolvers.  I got a chance to look at one and was pretty impressed with what I saw.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I

Yup.  I logged in quite a few of their SAA and a few 1911s.
I got all excited when the 1st Zip22 box showed up. Not knowing what was inside.  
Then I opened it and was blown away.  Not in a good way.

Eta.  And to ditch their entire product line for it??!!??  WTF!   Fonzi jumping the shark has nothing on them.

I really should have bought one (SAA) then.  
One of the few guns I regret not buying.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I had to google Grip Zone to see what it was. What was the actual explanation? Was it just shitty marketing ascetics??
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#43]
What about Colt changing the trigger pin size just "in case" they get held legally liable for someone illegally converting one of their rifles?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Browning didn't own the patent, Colt did.  He had to design around it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Eons ago Savage made a single shot break open shotgun.  To break open the action, you had to pull the trigger.  There was no other release.

Local shop has one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#46]
On FB, I follow a page called the Bazaar of bizarre guns, or something like that, just for the shiggles.

The shit they post does NOT disappoint!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Glock 'perfection' grip angle
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Forward assist
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#49]
"Bad" often means "designed for a use case/market that turned out not to exist"

The Lange Visier sight was designed for open-field warfare at extended ranges by infantry units.  Not snap-shooting over the top of a trench.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had to google Grip Zone to see what it was. What was the actual explanation? Was it just shitty marketing ascetics??
View Quote

It's just shitty marketing.
They were calling attention to the different textured areas on the grip.
They only did it on the XD Mod2, but any time you mention Springfield you the MuH GrIP zOnE! hot take artists.

There are perfectly good objective reasons to dislike the XD. But grip zone is the thing people pick.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top