Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/18/2021 2:03:50 PM EDT
So, I lived in Colorado for 15 years and skied 30-40 days per season. I was pretty good.

Moved back to Florida 14 years ago, my skis and boots floated away in a hurricane flood, and I haven't been on a mountain since.

But I have a bad itch to do it again.

GD knows everything. So where should I drive to for a week to Jerry the hell out of an East coast hill?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Killington, Sunday River...there’s a ton.

Or, you could come to UT for some real mountains and good snow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Sugarloaf was a favorite of mine.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Upstate New York, and West Virginia
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
PAGE ONE FAIL>

FAIL FAIL FAIL
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You probably won’t like NE skiing if you’re from CO.

Killington and Stowe are ok.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Vermont - Stratton specifically
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A mountain would probably be the best choice this time of year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Spring mountain triple black diamond
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Boone, NC would be close to you. I've only been skiing once, so no expert....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why I always ask GD first. Some smart MoFos up in here!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Come to WV.  We got a decent snow right now. Snowshoe is a pretty good one.

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Not Gatlinburg-if you can ski there,  you can anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I grew up skiing the northeast, from southern VT, and MA, up to the Canadian Border.

Tons of great mountains (if they have snow)
Not off to the best season at this point, pretty much anywhere on the east coast.

Prepare to be disappointed. The best the northeast has to offer, with the best conditions, is about a 5 or a 6 on the Rockies scale.
Still fun, but if you are in Florida, and are traveling for this, then just head out west. You can be in Park City in less time than it takes to fly to somewhere close enough to drive to the mountain around here.
View Quote

Agree with everything except Park City. Skip it, and head to Little/Big Cottonwood instead.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're driving from Florida, Snowshoe WV. Was just there before Christmas, great snow and wasn't too crowded (although midweek and mid-December were a big part of that). If getting on a plane is an option the New England and upstate NY mountains are bigger, although probably not much closer to Florida in terms of flying time than Colorado/Utah. Of course with WV you're also spending your tourist dollars in another free state, which is tough in the northeast (although New Hampshire isn't bad and has some good skiing, Gunstock and Waterville Valley are pretty good).

Word of warning if you've never skied in the east before....hope you like ice, as in picture taking a hockey rink, jackhammering it to pieces, letting it refreeze, and setting it on the side of a mountain. Not that east coast skiing is always like this especially if there's been a recent storm but it often is, and even on the best natural snow days is icier than anything out west (have skied Breckenridge and Crystal in Washington). Good thing is that if you can ski here you can ski anywhere, I grew up skiing the Poconos and Vermont and laughed when I was at Breck and people were whining about it being "icy".
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]
You will be disappointed by anything in the east. Just fly back to Colorado, especially if you have to drive any distance to get somewhere. The mountains are smaller, the snow usually sucks, and it's more expensive than most resorts in the rockies.

I'm only an hour or so from Seven Springs and Hidden Valley in PA, but I don't ski very often because it's usually disappointing, especially for the cost.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Back when I lived in the DC area I’d go to Whitetail, Liberty, or Wisp.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Back when I lived in the DC area I’d go to Whitetail, Liberty, or Wisp.
View Quote

I used to go to Whitetail and Liberty, and those aren't mountains. lol

OP, Vermont and upstate NY. I like Whiteface near Lake Placid; they hosted the 1980 Winter Olympics there, so it's not total amateur hour.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I grew up on the east coast and have skied pretty much everyplace mentioned on this thread. Some are good ski mountains.
But I've also skied out west.

You're in FLA, so no matter where you go, it'll require travel. If I had to travel to ski, there's no place in the east I'd go before heading west.
Better mountains, better weather, better snow, consistently in the west. Colorado's skiing reputation is not hype.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Vermont or NH
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Mt. Snow is my favorite mountain.

I hope you are prepared to be disappointed....unless you like skiing on ice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Boone, NC would be close to you. I've only been skiing once, so no expert....
View Quote

No no no no, no it’s not dude, just shut up all of Florida is already here ruining my winter.  

In fact Boone and all surrounding towns are closed now. Nothing to see, don’t bother.

Might I suggest Vermont????
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Gore WhiteFace in upstate ny. Killington is pretty good also. I haven't skied in ~30 years so take what I say with a grain of salt. I gotta think the upstate NY area are all man made snow. ITs been a mild winter here so far
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Mad River Glen - ski it if you can.

Compared to the Rockies you will be disappointed. Don't ski Hunter unless you like crowds.  Killington or Stratton...
We used to call Whiteface - Iceface.  They held the 1980 winter Olympics there so we skied all of the hills used during the Olympics.  Intermediate skiiers on the downhill was NOT a good idea.  Those guys have balls of steel to do that....

I wiped out and slid on my bib on that ice for 1,000 yards it felt like.  I could NOT self arrest.  Right under the lift too so I got a long running huge ovation for the ordeal...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Lmao op is from CO and you guys saying Snowshoe WV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't do it!  Sounds like you're getting on a plane no matter what.  Head west, period.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Go west old man.  Eastern skiing is sad.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Killington, Sunday River...there’s a ton.

Or, you could come to UT for some real mountains and good snow.
View Quote

Utah is amazing
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#31]
North East snow sucks, expect afternoon chop regularly.
I look at mountains by the published stats, specifically 'vertical drop'.  Breck has ~3400' of VD, Windham has 1600' of VD.  Every mountain publishes this in the 'mountain info'.  
Mountain Creek in Jersey is fun, it's where all the skaters from NYC go.  Creek has a good lift system and it's got that 'multi peak' feel.  
If you want sick terrain, Lake Placid is worth a visit and Killington is popular.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So, I lived in Colorado for 15 years and skied 30-40 days per season. I was pretty good.

Moved back to Florida 14 years ago, my skis and boots floated away in a hurricane flood, and I haven't been on a mountain since.

GD knows everything. So where should I drive to for a week to Jerry the hell out of an East coast hill?
View Quote

welp. im in ga, and one suggestion for me is to hop on a plane and fly non-stoop to salt lake city were there are six or seven mountains within a few minutes driving time from downtown salt lake. its actually easier to fly to someplace like that than to get in a car and drive north to ski in what is often a hard icy slope compared to good powder you find out west.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I would not waste the time or money to Ski East.
West is best !
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Snowshoe in WV is wonderful.  Fly in to Elkins or drive there.

Resort is at the top of the mountain, and it's beautiful.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Don't do it!  Sounds like you're getting on a plain no matter what.  Head west, period.
View Quote

Perfect ironic post.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#36]
WV- Snowshoe will give you the best skiing south of Vermont/New York.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't been skiing yet this year. I may not, first time in probably 25 years. Snow is not great, prices are increasing, fewer lifts running equals long wait times.

But if you really want to "Ski the East" look at Jay Peak. One of my favorites and often not as crowded. Stowe is insane and they are over $100 a ticket now. Killington is fun to ski, but same as Stowe - lines can be 45 minutes long easily.

My advice? Go back west....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here
LOL
Well, he did ask about an eastern hill!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I want to say go to Utah and end the thread.  If you are traveling from Florida anyway, buy a plane ticket to SLC, Utah. Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Powder Mountain.

If you’re dead set on east coast, the best bet for closest to you is Snowshoe, WV.  I consider it my “home mountain” and they do have decent conditions right now.  Heck, I’ll be there next weekend.

Food for thought, Snowshoe (like most resorts right now) is pretty much booked up on weekends due to reduced capacity. No matter where you pick, make sure they are even selling lift tickets, especially on weekend days. East coast lift ticket prices have approached or surpassed places out west. It’s insanity, but it is what it is.  That’s why I say go out west. Snowshoe is $125 for a weekend day. I think I paid less at every place in Utah last winter, and you get 1000% better terrain and snow.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#41]
If you life in Florida, learn to water ski. You can do it year round and it's warm.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#42]
NY and VT and are loaded with places to ski.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Sugarloaf looks interesting
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Snowshoe in WV is wonderful.  Fly in to Elkins or drive there.

Resort is at the top of the mountain, and it's beautiful.

https://s3.onthesnow.com/images/trailmaps/west-virginia/snowshoe-mountain-resort/20151028160116/xlarge.jpg
View Quote

Agreed. Snowshoe is a nice resort. I like it in the summer too when I want to get away from 90 degrees and high humidity.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Tuckerman's

Or don't waste your time and head west.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I grew up skiing the northeast, from southern VT, and MA, up to the Canadian Border.

Tons of great mountains (if they have snow)
Not off to the best season at this point, pretty much anywhere on the east coast.

Prepare to be disappointed. The best the northeast has to offer, with the best conditions, is about a 5 or a 6 on the Rockies scale.
Still fun, but if you are in Florida, and are traveling for this, then just head out west. You can be in Park City in less time than it takes to fly to somewhere close enough to drive to the mountain around here.
View Quote

Agreed. In the East you spend more time in line for the lift than it takes to get down the mountain. I would go west, I lived in CO for a while and skied all over, eastern slopes can't compare.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you life in Florida, learn to water ski. You can do it year round and it's warm.

View Quote

Been water skiing since I was 5. I'm the spotter here in the red shorts about 1979

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tuckerman's

Or don't waste your time and head west.
View Quote

I’ve lived and skied both as an expert - not the best but say 95th percentile.  The best of the east coast is just slightly better than the worst of the west coast.  After skiing the Cascades there was no motivation for me to fork out for a season pass and drive (even 30 minutes) to ski on the east coast.  I just do backcountry with my Altai Hok skis on my land now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#49]
If you want "good" east coast skiing, go HERE

Driving to NE would be about as costly as flying to Denver.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’ve lived and skied both as an expert - not the best but say 95th percentile.  The best of the east coast is just slightly better than the worst of the west coast.  After skiing the Cascades there was no motivation for me to fork out for a season pass and drive (even 30 minutes) to ski on the east coast.  I just do backcountry with my Altai Hok skis on my land now.
View Quote

Same here. East, Midwest and now northern Rockies.

The east sucks.
The Midwest sucks about .05% less.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top