Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 1/18/2021 12:59:45 PM EDT
First of all, I fully intended to get my HAM license as of two days ago. I might still, but I'm having serious reservations. I've programmed radios, listened to a lot of boomers discussing the weather and the good ole days, started studying for Tech, and I've even been carrying a handheld with me when I travel just to see if I can receive from different repeaters around the state. In fact I've even heard people from other countries call in during Nets. Pretty cool stuff!

Then this happened...
Attachment Attached File

Following Social Media Ban, Right-Wing Extremists Take It To Radio

A few thoughts...
1) It seems to me that getting your HAM license, a call sign, and registering your address with the Federal government (and a very public database) is a terrible idea in the current political climate. It's kind of like buying NFA items in that you get to play with the good stuff, but you also move to the top of the government's shit list when they try to curtail rights. At least when you buy NFA items they don't put your name and address out on a public database for all to see.

2) From a preparedness perspective, there's very little value in a HAM license. The discussions taking place now are completely mundane, contrary to what the Feds are claiming. It's literally just discussions about new radio parts, weather, model rocketry, etc. And in a SHTF situation where these means of communication might actually come in handy they won't be there.

3) My wife said something that stopped me in my tracks, "Won't the government just take over the repeaters in a grid down SHTF situation?" In fact, that article above threatens exactly that. If there's any value in HAM after an "event" it will be of the bootleg variety, because your favorite repeater will be down. Having a license will be to your detriment.

TLDR: I believe there is tremendous value in having the KNOWLEDGE to operate these radios, but having a license makes you a target. If you consider yourself to be a prepper I think you'd be wise to keep your head down. Gain knowledge, take the practice tests, buy the equipment, listen in...definitely worthy pursuits. Don't get your your license unless you want to listen to people talk about what they had for breakfast and how cold it is today. Repeaters will be down when there's anything really worth saying.

Flame away...

ETA: This is the real kicker. You give up your 4th amendment rights and add your name and address to a PUBLIC database. No way I'm doing that. Mandatory inspections of your base station upon request...

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/inspection-fact-sheet
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You are making some conservative observations.  And making some decisions about personal security.  No flame from me.  Considered the same.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I kind of agree.

Plus if you have a license all your info is published online.

I have my reservations on getting licensed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Ham radio operators were not allowed to be on the air during WWI and WWII, for fear of spies operating domestically.  All unauthorised radio transmissions were tracked and located subject to arrest and imprisonment.  Expect the same.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
FUSGOV ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
There are HAM nerds out there that can figure out where you're broadcasting from and sic the FCC on you if you're unlicensed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
You may have figured out how to program your baofeng, but thats a long way from longer distance comms on HF.

Its a little bit like practicing with your CCW and thinking it will carry over to long distance precision rifle shooting.

But you do what makes you happy man.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I can a) worry about going to jail for violating the terms of my ham license, or b) worry about going to jail for not having a license at all.

I bear no animosity towards someone who does the math on that one differently than I did.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought like that cannot be tolerated. .gov knows what is best for you.

Please report to your nearest reeducation camp.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]
CoC  4  Removed --- Edited by brass
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The law has always been that way. I wouldn't worry about it unless something changes in how it's applied.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought like that cannot be tolerated. .gov knows what is best for you.

Please report to your nearest reeducation camp.
View Quote

The US govt is reopening Croatia Alcatraz, fyi.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are HAM nerds out there that can figure out where you're broadcasting from and sic the FCC on you if you're unlicensed.
View Quote

We did that in college with radio-collared wildlife. Somewhere in the garage I have a trophy I won, in 2000 or so, in a radio telemetry contest.

Back then our gear was nothing more complex than a simple transmitter that issued a 'beep' every so often, and a receiver with a directional antenna that we used to locate the beep using triangulation. Point being, you don't have to be a HAM or know anything complex to locate an outlaw broadcaster. All you need is to know what frequency they're on and have a receiver tuned to that frequency, and a directional antenna.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

just dont broadcast from your home.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on the current political climate, I can't find anything to disagree with in your post.

The learning/training involved in attaining your amateur radio license is not just a license to transmit, it's a license to build and hack and learn your way around radios in general...something that's proven useful in conflicts throughout history.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You may have figured out how to program your baofeng, but thats a long way from longer distance comms on HF.

Its a little bit like practicing with your CCW and thinking it will carry over to long distance precision rifle shooting.

View Quote

And those points have nothing to do with the OP's point about licensing!

License =/ Ability,  just legality

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]
If the SHTF scenario is political/economic in nature and .gov puts a lid on ham radio, it won't be surprising to still hear guys operating w/o call signs and snitches getting stitches.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh, yea they do.

It’s not something you’ll understand without some hands on time.

When SHTF its too late. The license is just for now so you can practice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ham radio operators were not allowed to be on the air during WWI and WWII, for fear of spies operating domestically.  All unauthorised radio transmissions were tracked and located subject to arrest and imprisonment.  Expect the same.
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Registration is confiscation!

Come and take it (my Baofeng) from my cold dead hands!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We did that in college with radio-collared wildlife. Somewhere in the garage I have a trophy I won, in 2000 or so, in a radio telemetry contest.

Back then our gear was nothing more complex than a simple transmitter that issued a 'beep' every so often, and a receiver with a directional antenna that we used to locate the beep using triangulation. Point being, you don't have to be a HAM or know anything complex to locate an outlaw broadcaster. All you need is to know what frequency they're on and have a receiver tuned to that frequency, and a directional antenna.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I decided to get my license. I'm getting technician, I might even try for general too if I get time to study this week.

I already have NFA items so fuck it, what's one more list?

Like you are not already on list anyway.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#24]
The shit people come up with here to worry about...

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been licensed since the early '80's, so that ship has sailed.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
First of all, I fully intended to get my HAM license as of two days ago. I might still, but I'm having serious reservations. I've programmed radios, listened to a lot of boomers discussing the weather and the good ole days, started studying for Tech, and I've even been carrying a handheld with me when I travel just to see if I can receive from different repeaters around the state. In fact I've even heard people from other countries call in during Nets. Pretty cool stuff!

Then this happened...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/297684/Er-CyJnWMAoxjK__png-1784998.JPG

Following Social Media Ban, Right-Wing Extremists Take It To Radio

A few thoughts...
1) It seems to me that getting your HAM license, a call sign, and registering your address with the Federal government is a terrible idea in the current political climate. It's kind of like buying NFA items in that you get to play with the good stuff, but you also move to the top of the government's shit list when they try to curtail rights.

2) From a preparedness perspective, there's very little value in a HAM license. The discussions taking place now are completely mundane, contrary to what the Feds are claiming. It's literally just discussions about new radio parts, weather, model rocketry, etc. And in a SHTF situation where these means of communication might actually come in handy they won't be there.

3) My wife said something that stopped me in my tracks, "Won't the government just take over the repeaters in a grid down SHTF situation?" In fact, that article above threatens exactly that. If there's any value in HAM after an "event" it will be of the bootleg variety, because your favorite repeater will be down. Having a license will be to your detriment.

TLDR: I believe there is tremendous value in having the KNOWLEDGE to operate these radios, but having a license makes you a target. If you consider yourself to be a prepper I think you'd be wise to keep your head down. Gain knowledge, take the practice tests, buy the equipment, listen in...definitely worthy pursuits. Don't get your your license unless you want to listen to people talk about what they had for breakfast and how cold it is today. Repeaters will be down when there's anything really worth saying.

Flame away...
View Quote

You don’t know what you don’t know.

That sentence can address just about every one of your paragraphs.

Oh, and amateur radio become valuable when you get your General and Extra license. The technician license means “grown up CB radio”, the higher licenses mean talking around the world.

I have a radio that runs on 8 “AA” batteries that fits in a BDU leg pocket. I have talked to Cuba with digital text. I can talk to my upstate cabin like it’s a cell phone call. You just don’t know.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#27]
If you think Gun owners are junior G-men about NFA violations,

Wait until you meet licensed HAMs, they actually take joy in helping the Gov find violators.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I decided to get my license. I'm getting technician, I might even try for general too if I get time to study this week.

I already have NFA items so fuck it, what's one more list?

Like you are not already on list anyway.
View Quote

You’ll never go back for your general-get them both amd don’t look back. HF is where it’s at.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your post is 100% valid, as I've just begun learning about ham myself.

But I didn't get the impression that the OP was being flippant either.

By your own analogy, I see it more like learning long distance precision shooting in private, without drawing attention to yourself during the process.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I kind of agree.

View Quote

Yeah, that's the other thing I forgot to mention. When I read about one of the members here getting hounded by other licensees that kind of freaked me out. All your info becomes public. He ended up with some try hard calling him over and over, mailing shit to him, and I think even stopping by his house.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Uhhh, yea they do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh, yea they do.

You physically can do that without a license.

License is legality,  not capability.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are making some conservative observations.  And making some decisions about personal security.  No flame from me.  Considered the same.
View Quote

Same here but there is literally nothing they can’t “take away” in an emergency. What license for carrier pigeon?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#33]
General class ham here.  Getting your license is not dumb, I completely understand not wanting to put your name and address out there-I didn't; either.  Just get a PO box and do it. ham radio is a learned skill. you learn by doing.  all you guys who bought a baofeng and think when the shtf you are going to turn it on and be in good shape are in for a serious disappointment.

I think its stupid you should have to get a license to transmit, I don't think you should, but it is what it is.  If the S really HTF  and the boog kicks off the gov will likely take down VHF repeaters and ban radio operators, and shortwave/ HF will be the only way to hear beyond the red curtain.  Ham radio guys by and large are completely douche tools and will rat you out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#34]
This has always been the law. Nothings changed. It's the same as if the ATF sent out a notice saying it's illegal to make pipe bombs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the govt already has you on file, pay your taxes, drive a vehicle, are they really going to track you down for something you said on xyz frequency.  There are so many frequencies, hf, vhf uhf, and so many different modes.  Just keep studying, I think you need a little more knowledge on the subject.  Trust me I'm extra special.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah yeah yeah...

It usually takes the FCC about 10 years to respond and follow up on just about any complaint, no matter how flagrant.

You could hire a 10,000 FCC agents and put the equipment on order today and it take two years to make any substantial movement.

As far as a bunch of old guys in trucks and vans thinking they police the radio world, it's all lip service.

Does anyone think it would be in their best interest to drive into an area where there's possible civil unrest in a truck with a bunch of antennas and custom ham license plates hanging off of it?

Let's face it, the government never prepared for anything like this, they were too busy spending money on other bullshit.

They thought the capitol was safe until they let a bunch of unarmed people in weird costumes walk in. Now they are scrambling and throwing massive amounts of whatever they can find together in a haphazard fashion because they are afraid of losing control.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Ham is for hobby.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anyone need a lic to buy a HAM radio/station and antenna to go with?

Well, there you have your answer.

Buy away folks, buy all that gear. They can't come triangle everyone, and then arrest everyone.

Buy, setup, start the chatter.

Computer generated morse code or DTMF using some cipher element seems appropriate at this point.
View Quote

My local Ham shop requires a valid call sign to buy equipment from them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The shit people come up with here to worry about...

View Quote

No Shit. This place gets nuts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:registering your address with the Federal government
View Quote

I'd like to know what universe you think you are in where they don't already know your address and have cross-referenced it in a dozen different ways.

There is freedom in realizing that most of the alleged hiding from the government memes are bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

By your own analogy, I see it more like learning long distance precision shooting in private, without drawing attention to yourself during the process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t mean to come off as flippant back to the OP. It was more in the vein of what was said later. “You don’t know what you don’t know.”

I got into ham radio because of off-roading/overlanding back before covid and the current anxiety. Now I’m happy I have the experience I do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know. I did not advocate broadcasting did I?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I can't disagree and I have come more or less to the same conclusion myself.

If you go down to any McDonald's and listen in on a group of old retired guys drinking coffee and talking, you will hear the same stuff.  

I think being able to use a radio is a good thing of for a SHTF scenario,  but as a hobby I would think it would get old.  Besides, I think internet forums,  messenger,  text have filled that space a bit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#45]
The ham and ccw license are probably on-par for similarly in a government crackdown situation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I got my tech license in August or so if I recall.

Within a week i had a local guy calling my cell phone and leaving message about him hearing I was a. New amateur radio licensee and I should call him back to hear the transcript of the transmission he heard the news on from Ontario all the way down to Washington.

I didnt answer his call.

He called back again seemingly confused and almost a tone of annoyance that I hadn't called him back as most people want to have the transcripts.  

I did not answer his call.

Later, I received a letter in the mail at my home address with the transcript of the transmission he had referenced and a couple paragraphs about how cool it is to be a ham.

It was slightly offputting.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a HF receiver. I have no intentions of transmitting. I'll let others disseminate the info, but I don't have anything to say. More importantly I don't need to make myself a target just so I can tell people I had scrambled eggs this morning.

Communications in SHTF situation will be more important among small groups of like minded individuals. Hearing what some guy in France thinks might be interesting, but probably doesn't affect me...nevertheless I will have the ability to listen to him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the other thing I forgot to mention. When I read about one of the members here getting hounded by other licensees that kind of freaked me out. All your info becomes public. He ended up with some try hard calling him over and over, mailing shit to him, and I think even stopping by his house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I kind of agree.

Hate to break it to you, but your address is already on the Internet. Google even has pictures of it available to everyone with an internet connection. Plus there’s satellite imagery available to all for free.

Plus, don’t believe every story you hear on arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#49]
These are interesting implications to consider. It's a lot of valid points.

Short of a natural disaster that doesn't break the repeater network (is that what it is? super ignorant on the subject), what is the value in HAM?

It can be used to triangulate to you, the .gov licenses it so they know, and...isn't it unencrypted chatter?

I guess I'm not aware of the value props with the downsides, but I haven't yet hit the info portion of the site for it, just see a few threads in GD
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you develop ability without practice and experience?

How do you plan to practice and gain experience when almost nobody will talk to you because you don't have a callsign?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top