Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/15/2021 9:38:21 PM EDT
I almost never cook for myself. Id like to cook a delicious rib eye steak tomorrow. I have a gas range with two power burners, one regular burner and one simmer burner. I have a Lodge cast iron pan and a Calaphon stainless steel pan. Everytime I try to make burgers or a steak I end up filling the house with smoke and setting the smoke detectors off. I live in a tiny raised ranch so basically the whole house fills with smoke.

Which pan on which burner and what heat high medium low should I use? What should I use on the pan for non stick? Butter? If so how much? How long should I leave the ribeye on for medium cooked? I like a nice sear crust on the outside.

Most importantly how do I accomplish this without setting off the smoke detectors?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Gordon Ramsay's ULTIMATE COOKERY COURSE: How to Cook the Perfect Steak
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Draft hood, down draft fan or cook outside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I grill all my steaks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
On a grill, outside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
How does a man ask a question like this?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Microwave
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Blackstone and griddle it in the Garage with the garage door open or outside. A Blackstone, house seasoning, and avocado oil make steak taste amazing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a vent?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you've got a baller range hood, cook outside or take the batteries out of your smoke detector. For best results use fire.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Turn on your stoves hood? Open two windows? Buy a grill?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On a grill, outside.
View Quote

This is how knowing men grill steaks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Sous vide and a torch.

Mike drop
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the same issue is a small apartment. What I do is reverse sear in the oven. You'll need a probe thermometer, put it in the steak and place it on a baking tray in the oven at 250. Pull it out at 120, get the cast iron pan hot with some grapeseed oil (high smoke point) and give it a quick sear on both sides. It's still going to make smoke, but it's the best way to minimize it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn son its 20 degrees outside and no more propane.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Cast iron skillet on the grill outside. No muss. No fuss.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
cast iron
grade seed oil
broiler after sear
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

This, with a cast iron skillet, outside
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Box fan in the window blowing outside.  

What’s wrong with your grill?

Or, boil it in milk!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Damn son its 20 degrees outside and no more propane.
View Quote

That's failure, times two.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

How dare you assume gender! Obviously not!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
On a grill, outside.
View Quote
This

White hot coals 3-4 mins per side.

This or the black stone

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#23]
This is literally my second Sous Vide steak. I did the cast iron pan thing so I understand. Smoked the entire house up. LOL!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of his kids must have commandeered his account.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/EgcB5I3-51.gif

Did you stop to think that maybe OP is asking for his hubby? No, no you don't, you bigots.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Air fryer

I cooked 2 steaks tonight for the first time (got one for Christmas). Didn't smoke or sink up the house.

Came out a little more well than I like but still good flavor and not a hockey Puck.

Fryer had a setting for steak
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Draft hood, down draft fan or cook outside.
View Quote

This. Your cheap hood, or even worse over-range microwave is worthless for venting.

Just scorch cast iron and sear outside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Ask your husband to cook it outside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Find a neighboring house for sale with a Realtor lockbox
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Unless you've got a baller range hood, cook outside or take the batteries out of your smoke detector. For best results use fire.

https://i.imgur.com/U4PMpDW.jpg?1
View Quote

Interesting.  It never dawned on me to use my solo stove and grill from the weber to do this.  Now I have to try it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Inside, two real options.

Sous Vide. Torch it in a cast iron pan to sear.

Cast iron pan cook. Depends on your stove, but I go almost full tilt on my best burner (one burner is meant to be extra hot on my stove). You want the pan just shy of 500°F. Avocado oil. Highest smoke point oil you can get. Sear that bitch. Once seared, drop temp and cook steak to doneness you desire.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Microwave
View Quote
Boil!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Have your wife throw em on the grill
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/U4PMpDW.jpg?1
View Quote

NICE!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  

Sometimes I read things here and have nothing nice to say.  I try.  I do, but damn.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I almost never cook for myself. Id like to cook a delicious rib eye steak tomorrow. I have a gas range with two power burners, one regular burner and one simmer burner. I have a Lodge cast iron pan and a Calaphon stainless steel pan. Everytime I try to make burgers or a steak I end up filling the house with smoke and setting the smoke detectors off. I live in a tiny raised ranch so basically the whole house fills with smoke.

Which pan on which burner and what heat high medium low should I use? What should I use on the pan for non stick? Butter? If so how much? How long should I leave the ribeye on for medium cooked? I like a nice sear crust on the outside.

Most importantly how do I accomplish this without setting off the smoke detectors?
View Quote

What you're asking for is possible, with some practice, but difficult to balance; smoke vs good sear.

The easiest way I call a NYC steak (illegal in Texas).  Even the shitiest kitchen should be able to brown a steak.  Basically fry a steak in oil or cook in the oven at about 450 (just below smoke temp).
The trick is to fry/brown the surface without boiling, steaming or releasing liquid.
Keep the pan hot enough to brown the meat but not smoke (425-450).  If the temperature drops, immediately remove the meat, place in a drip rack away from the heat,  and reheat the pan.
Ideally 2 - 3 minutes of browning per side.  Rest and fry, repeat until rare, deglaze the  pan and drag meat through hot pan drippings/glaze.  Deglaze with marinade, wine, stock or steak sauce.  A sweet sauce or sugar at the end aids in browning.

Also open windows and clean your hood.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Have your husband grill it outside.

I've cooked on our grill when it's -20 out.

Propane? That's even worse.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#40]
lol, a boiling pot produces steam.  it looks like smoke but it's not ya goof
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have the same issue is a small apartment. What I do is reverse sear in the oven. You'll need a probe thermometer, put it in the steak and place it on a baking tray in the oven at 250. Pull it out at 120, get the cast iron pan hot with some grapeseed oil (high smoke point) and give it a quick sear on both sides. It's still going to make smoke, but it's the best way to minimize it.
View Quote

Seems like a good idea.  May have to try this.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Take your microwave out from above your stove, and throw it in the garbage.  I stall a GOOD range hood and vent it properly.

Or boil the fucking thing!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#43]
First step is you cover it in mayo and ketchup. Throw it in the microwave for 5 minutes. Take it out and feed it to your dog.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes some practice and experimentation to get the temperature and timing down, but once you do you can make some pretty great steaks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Take the smoke detector down and open some windows.

Years ago I had a great idea that I could finish my steak in the electric oven on the hottest temp.... 475...... or CLEANING MODE

I did a quick sear then put it in the oven on the clean setting.  First house, never used an oven that had a cleaning setting.  Set a timer, all was good.  It was smoking some as I expected.  Timer went off and opened the dooo...... oh wait the door was locked because of the cleaning mode.  I learned within about 45 seconds how a butter knife can defeat an oven lock.   Steak was really good
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Interesting.  It never dawned on me to use my solo stove and grill from the weber to do this.  Now I have to try it.
View Quote
You called it, Genesis e310 grates and Solo stove bonfire. I smoked it on my WSM to 125 internal, let rest for 10 minutes and tossed it on the fire. Best steak I've ever made.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Get a range hood. Or grill it outside.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#48]
So. I have options that I use to cook steak, feel free to use any of these ideas. But I have a weber charcoal grill, if I don't want to wait for the charcoal to burn out, then I have a Weber grill to grill the steak on, if I want a little smokey flavor to the grill but want the convenience of being table to "shut it off after" I have a pellet grill, if I just need a quick sear, there's also a 30k BTU outdoor burner, that I throw a grill grate over, or use my cast iron skillet on. Basically USE ANY OUTDOOR TOOL.

But yes, indoor, you may be able to get by using avacado oil on a stainless steel or high carbon skillet, on med-high, the trick is to get the pan hot enough to sear, but not hotter than your smoke point of the oil you choose.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Use a grill outdoors.  How is this a question?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Air fryer
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top