Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/12/2021 9:03:46 PM EDT
And just start it up and take off? I mean, is it something an average joe with no experience in a big rig can do?

If there were a shtf situation and my only option was a big rig, is it something I would be able just hop in and drive off?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It's got a pretty shallow learning curve (at least I thought so)
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Most trucks are auto, so no problem. If it’s a manual you may be able to drive it, but it’s gonna be ugly. You’ll run over some curbs and possibly roll over a sign or hit a pole turning, but you’ll work that out after a little bit. You won’t be backing it up successfully.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
In before stories of drivelines laying on the road as a result of rookie drivers.

LOL
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
If you’ve never driven one, you probably can’t hop in and drive one without taking several minutes to figure it out. They’re not exactly complicated, but they take a little instruction.

If the SHTF, find something else to drive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
The FBI can answer this question best.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If you happen to find one with an automatic transmission you should be gto. If you get one with manual shift you will do better on foot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget the air brake release.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
In before bad back and knees.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Once you figure out up shifting it’s pretty simple especially if your empty or bobtail.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
You have to push the big yellow and big red buttons before you can go anywhere. After that, it's pretty self explanatory.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I was sitting in my pickup at a loading dock last week for work for a few hours. I watched a driver about as wide as he was tall take a few minutes to get back up into his rig after he got out to open the doors on the trailer. So I would say it may not be all that easy to just "hop" in but YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to push the big yellow and big red buttons before you can go anywhere. After that, it's pretty self explanatory.
View Quote

Only the yellow if bobtail......
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you happen to find one with an automatic transmission you should be gto. If you get one with manual shift you will do better on foot.
View Quote

This is totally true. On top of the basic parts of driving a non-synchro transmission, you also have to be in the right gear for any impending situation, especially long downhills.

eta- Locally a noobie driver fucked up and was either in too high a gear or neutral coming down a long steep twisty road. He was probably going about 60 when he went off the road and down into a creek bottom. He sheared off some 30 inch trees and broke his truck in ways I've never seen broken.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was ten years old I decided I was going to go for a drive in my grandmothers car, which had a three on the tree manual transmission.  I grabbed the keys and hopped in, and thinking it was in park turned the key trying to start it.  The car kept lurching forward since it was in gear, I did this about three times before my dad came out and yelled at me to get out  

I don't even think I got in trouble, but this is kind of how I picture the OPs plan going in SHTF

Also, in SHTF, don't drive a vehicle that gets like 6 mpg

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you post where and when you plan to do this on ARFCOM. Would like to see this go down!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
so the big red button is trailer brakes?

not asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
How to shift an 18 speed transmission
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#21]
You're not getting very far if it's a manual.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Admittedly, I was thinking about the road warrior where he was able to drive that “tankah” back to the refinery/base. I know it didn’t matter for the sake of the movie if he knew what he was doing or not, but it got me to wondering how possible it really was for someone who didn’t.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you seen who’s driving tractor trailers around the country?
Just sayin’
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
My disabled mother retired due to bad knees after a storied career as a long haul trucker. What a great woman.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are easy, IMO. Cutch only for starting and stopping. Shifting and splitting is easy once you get the rythm. I never understood how some guys could never get it. Too easily flustered, I guess.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My disabled mother retired due to bad knees after a storied career as a long haul trucker. What a great woman.
View Quote
she really is.

does she sell NUT COAL now by any chance?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did she haul nut coal?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

not asking for a friend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not asking for a friend.

Yeah, and the johnny bar on the column...........

ETA, red button releases trailer spring brakes, johnny bar applies trailer-only service brakes........
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Admittedly, I was thinking about the road warrior where he was able to drive that “tankah” back to the refinery/base. I know it didn’t matter for the sake of the movie if he knew what he was doing or not, but it got me to wondering how possible it really was for someone who didn’t.
View Quote

That Mack was a 2 stick, even harder to drive...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have fun if it’s a Mack with a triplex or quad box ??
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is totally true. On top of the basic parts of driving a non-synchro transmission, you also have to be in the right gear for any impending situation, especially long downhills.

eta- Locally a noobie driver fucked up and was either in too high a gear or neutral coming down a long steep twisty road. He was probably going about 60 when he went off the road and down into a creek bottom. He sheared off some 30 inch trees and broke his truck in ways I've never seen broken.
View Quote

Ouch! You can go down a hill too slow many times, but only once too fast...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
d/t
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most trucks are auto, so no problem. If it’s a manual you may be able to drive it, but it’s gonna be ugly. You’ll run over some curbs and possibly roll over a sign or hit a pole turning, but you’ll work that out after a little bit. You won’t be backing it up successfully.
View Quote

Sounds about right except for the backing up part.   Trucks are easier to back up than most bumper pull trailers.  The wheel base ratio, and location of the pivot make backing up pretty easy compared to a small boat or equipment trailer
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Those are easy, IMO. Cutch only for starting and stopping. Shifting and splitting is easy once you get the rythm. I never understood how some guys could never get it. Too easily flustered, I guess.....
View Quote

Yeah, if you know how to do it, it's easy.  

If all you've ever known about manual transmissions is your Honda when you got when you were 16, you're not going to do very well...at all.

Forget the gear pattern...just learning how to shift in sync is not something someone is just going to 'do.'
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#35]
We only have big straight trucks, bucket trucks and derrick digger trucks, most people can't even get the older trucks started because they have a fuel cut off that's like the throttle in a little airplane and not marked.
I bet most people could drive one, but doing it for 14hrs a day and not killing people, or jamming yourself up is what they pay you for
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#36]
A new automatic?

Pretty easily.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, get in. Clutch in and shake shifter to make sure in neutral. Foot on the brake. Turn the key. Push in both air supply knobs if hooked to a trailer, if not the truck air knob only. Start off in 2nd if you’re full and 80,000lbs. If you’re bobtail start in 4th. If you’re gay push the button for drive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Not too bad, if they know to push the brake buttons in. Are they going to drive a manual truck decent? Nope.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget to build air pressure before you try to do that...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If all you've ever known about manual transmissions is your Honda when you got when you were 16, you're not going to do very well...at all.

Forget the gear pattern...just learning how to shift in sync is not something someone is just going to 'do.'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a retard and  had it down in less than a day. IDK, maybe some folks just don't have the knack?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. I had to ask an old coworker who had driven before why that was because I had never seen one with a trans like that before.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#42]
It will be much easier for you to drive without the trailer. You can unhook it but you would need to know how to do that as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll either stay in, or pop out!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, there is a reason they came out with auto's.  ALOT of drivers today would not pass their test without one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Did driving training one day while in the military and one of the vehicles was a manual 18-wheeler with no trailer. It was difficult to say the least, and I have decent experience with manual transmission vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not here, all 13 speeds.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not too bad, if they know to push the brake buttons in. Are they going to drive a manual truck decent? Nope.
View Quote

What about someone who has a crapload (like 30 years) of experience driving manual transmission vehicles daily?

Never driven a semi, have driven large straight trucks, manual 4x4s and various construction equipment (smaller backhoes, skidsteers, forklifts etc). Have also driven vehicles with trailers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

hitting the red while bobtailin gives you and extra speed boost
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What about someone who has a crapload (like 30 years) driving manual transmission vehicles daily?

Never driven a semi, have driven large straight trucks, manual 4x4s and various construction equipment (smaller backhoes, skidsteers, forklifts etc). Have also driven vehicles with trailers.
View Quote

It’s nothing like a standard car. Besides the pattern, you need to either double clutch or know how to float gears. It generally takes our new drivers a few weeks to choose the right gear at the right time without just constant grinding. Is it impossible to pick it up within minutes, no. But if I took you out in a Eaton 10 speed you would grind the gears for the first solid hour.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Third post nailed it!
This man has driven more than one big truck before.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top