Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/12/2021 8:54:41 AM EDT
I'm looking at a cabin up in the mountains near Reliance in the Cherokee National forest.  It's on small plot, 5 acres, but some nice little 2 acre pasture and the rest woods. Good Southern exposure and nice mountain views in the distance. The area seems to mix of folks that have been there a while and some newer.  It's about 30 min out of Cleavland which has all the necessities and there seems to be plenty of tourist diners and gas stations in the area.  

The intent would be to use this, as I feel the need, to get out of FL.  It's about a 9 hour drive to my place in FL which is ideal. The area seems to have lots to do for the grand kids....kayaking, whitewater, zip line stuff, etc...

Anything I missing about the area?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know too much about Cleveland, But, do have several friends from there. They say it still has the small town atmosphere. But, It is changing like everything in East Tennessee.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my best friends just bought a cabin up there about a year ago. He absolutely loves it. Good folks in the area, and very quiet.
Only negative I’ve heard is the low water pressure because he’s on a community well.

By your description of the location, he could nearly be your neighbor.

I hope to make it up there soon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of my best friends just bought a cabin up there about a year ago. He absolutely loves it. Good folks in the area, and very quiet.
Only negative I’ve heard is the low water pressure because he’s on a community well.

By your description of the location, he could nearly be your neighbor.

I hope to make it up there soon.
View Quote

It seems ideal...close enough to FL for an easy one day drive, quiet but city amenities close by.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I drove from Reliance to Cleveland for work for awhile So its def do able.  Yes kayaking tubing fishing boating hiking public rifle range all near by.  Etowah is probably the closest town with a few stores and restraints to eat at.  My parents generally only leave the mountain 2-3x a month.  Neighbors if they are old time locals wont like you but probably wont mess with you.  Unless you shoot their hunting dog or something then you could have a house fire.
Depending on where you live cell phone or internet could be non existent besides that I love it there and plan to move back when I retire.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice and peaceful area, I wouldn't mind having a place in there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I drove from Reliance to Cleveland for work for awhile So its def do able.  Yes kayaking tubing fishing boating hiking public rifle range all near by.  Etowah is probably the closest town with a few stores and restraints to eat at.  My parents generally only leave the mountain 2-3x a month.  Neighbors if they are old time locals wont like you but probably wont mess with you.  Unless you shoot their hunting dog or something then you could have a house fire.
Depending on where you live cell phone or internet could be non existent besides that I love it there and plan to move back when I retire.
View Quote

I'm up here at Harrison State park right now. By the way from what I've seen the state parks are the best I've experienced in the last 18 months, 70K miles and 350 days in the camper all over the US (with the exception of enemy territory...I don't go to those states..). This one has water/electric/ private bathroom with hot shower and free WiFi. Cost with my Mil discount is $14 a night!  Spotless and beautiful. Are they all like this is TN?

Anyways, all good on the locals. I keep to myself pretty much. Live and Let live kind of guy. Wifi at the property is via Sat and is $100/ 15 up and down but get this...my ATT phone gets a good signal at the cabin so I have good cell service and the data tested at about 35 down and 15 up.  So depending on circumstances I may just hot spot.

Going to look at Etowah in few minutes to check out the gym, grocery stores (looks like theres more than Dollar general), grab lunch and then meet the realtor at 1300 at the property. Hopefully it all works out. Never fall in love with the plan but this one looks good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
My uncle lives near there. Great place and he loves it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
My plan is to go further upstate and East. 3 more years, 3 more years... Can't wait to unfuck myself from FL.

BTW, Tampa SUCKS !
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm up here at Harrison State park right now. By the way from what I've seen the state parks are the best I've experienced in the last 18 months, 70K miles and 350 days in the camper all over the US (with the exception of enemy territory...I don't go to those states..). This one has water/electric/ private bathroom with hot shower and free WiFi. Cost with my Mil discount is $14 a night!  Spotless and beautiful. Are they all like this is TN?

Anyways, all good on the locals. I keep to myself pretty much. Live and Let live kind of guy. Wifi at the property is via Sat and is $100/ 15 up and down but get this...my ATT phone gets a good signal at the cabin so I have good cell service and the data tested at about 35 down and 15 up.  So depending on circumstances I may just hot spot.

Going to look at Etowah in few minutes to check out the gym, grocery stores (looks like theres more than Dollar general), grab lunch and then meet the realtor at 1300 at the property. Hopefully it all works out. Never fall in love with the plan but this one looks good.
View Quote

I live just a few miles from Harrison State Park and use the boat ramp there fairly often. If you need anything while you are over this way get in touch. I'm retired and home most of the time.

Cleveland is a pretty nice town that has grown a lot in the last 20 years.

It really had a small town feel back in the day and still does to some degree but it is growing fast.

For example- when we moved to the area 22 years ago you couldn't buy a drink with distilled liquor (or even wine if I remember correctly) and that really limited the restaurants that would locate there.

That law was changed about 15 years ago and since there there has been a big increase in eating out options in Cleveland.

There were still no liquor stores allowed there until late last year and now there are 8 liquor stores at last count.

I used to go up in the mountains over that way and roam around. You can spend days cruising two track roads all through the mountains.

The Cherohala Skyway is awesome and the drive along the Ocoee River is nice also.

I had a coworker that had a cabin over that way for years and they loved it. It is a great part of the country.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Many years ago we did a short winter retreat in Archville, on Greasy Creek, which is just south of Reliance, off the Kimsey Mountain Highway (hint: not exactly a highway by modern standards).

Neat place. Quiet in the wintertime. Gorgeous. Cold.

Not many Wal-marts or 7-11s in the area. A house there on several acres, if a couple of those acres were tillable, could be very neat.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I am in Reliance 2-3 times a week.

No cell service at all, no cable at all. Satellite only for TV & internet. Rabbit ears are a joke due to mountains.

No city water, all wells. No gas line, propane only. Very, very rural.

Etowah blows, it's a dying town. Cleveland is 35 miles or so for the closest Wally World. Other stores are closer but smaller.

Reliance is a red neck's paradise. Fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. Shoot me an IM if you want to know more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I know alot of people like camping at Harrison Bay.  I have stayed at Parksville lake a few times it is a little smaller but just as nice.  Gee creek has primitive camping as well as a rifle range up the road so its cool. Lots of places to check out with in a few hours( cliffs, waterfalls other history stuff).  Dont know if you hunt but there are deer, pigs, bear, coyotes, beavers, ducks around.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Right across the lake from ya......Harrison Bay SP is nice and yes most all of the Tn parks are great we've camped in a lot of them with our TH.

This area is growing.....sometime that's not so good...getting a lot of libtards in
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got back from looking at it a second time. I bought it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats! When is the housewarming party?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats.

We're now neighbors.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Get yourself a small dual sport motorcycle. I think there’s about 500 miles of forest service roads in the Cherokee NF. A few single track motorcycle trails too.  Lots to explore.

There’s a NF gun range just North of Reliance off of 315.  

Kayaking the Hiawassee River in Reliance is a blast. Use the outfitter in the state park, not Webb’s Market. Or, buy your own and do it for free.  Don’t get a raft, you’ll get stuck on the rocks.

Cleveland Shooting Sports is my go to Dealer. Black guns, range, gunsmith, suppressors, and good prices.  Benton Shooting Supplies in Benton is too expensive.

Benton Bacon in Madisonville is best bacon in the world!  I’ve seen it in Wyoming, Oregon, California, and Montana while on vacation. Makes amazing BLT’s. Free ham bones for your dogs .

Alcohol is more expensive here than in Florida. Bring it with you.

Bring Fly Rods, lots of trout fishing.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Chattanooga has a nice downtown scene with entertainment and restaurants without being overly urban.

Added bonus: driving distance to some Benton's bacon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks all.

Does anyone know of a shooting club in the area that does 3 gun, USPSA, IDPA or anything like that?  When I originally looked over by Monteagle there were a few ranges that I visited that were outstanding. Anything like those ranges over this way?

BTW, I also have 50' of property line on Greasy creek!  Also, meet my neighbor and he's an old SF guy as well. Strange how things fall into place. Big man upstairs is looking out for me.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't speed in Benton. I stay in Reliance at least once a year to do the Ocoee rafting trip. I was given that advise by the cabin rental company the first time I went.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Thd only dangerous thing is that crazy old bastard that runs groups of rafters in his short bus to the put in place. Definite heart check. If you've done that float, you know of what i speak.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Have a good idea of the flood plane Greasy creek rolls on after a good rain.  If you meet a fellow named Harold he is very deep rooted in those parts (nice guy). Hell there is a good chance that’s who is selling the land.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Our cabin is on 30 acres in Graham county across the NC border.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks all.

Does anyone know of a shooting club in the area that does 3 gun, USPSA, IDPA or anything like that?  When I originally looked over by Monteagle there were a few ranges that I visited that were outstanding. Anything like those ranges over this way?

BTW, I also have 50' of property line on Greasy creek!  Also, meet my neighbor and he's an old SF guy as well. Strange how things fall into place. Big man upstairs is looking out for me.....
View Quote

The Cleveland Hunting Rifle and Pistol club does some competitions but all of that may be suspended due to covid.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live in Calhoun, work in Cleveland, have a boat in Harrison.  Work takes me all over the area, very familiar with Reliance, Etowah, and every other town in a hundred mile radius.

You won't be disappointed.  We've grown in Cleveland yes, but it's still dark red.  76 - 21 Trump in Bradley County.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get yourself a small dual sport motorcycle. I think there’s about 500 miles of forest service roads in the Cherokee NF. A few single track motorcycle trails too.  Lots to explore.

There’s a NF gun range just North of Reliance off of 315.  

Kayaking the Hiawassee River in Reliance is a blast. Use the outfitter in the state park, not Webb’s Market. Or, buy your own and do it for free.  Don’t get a raft, you’ll get stuck on the rocks.

Cleveland Shooting Sports is my go to Dealer. Black guns, range, gunsmith, suppressors, and good prices.  Benton Shooting Supplies in Benton is too expensive.

Benton Bacon in Madisonville is best bacon in the world!  I’ve seen it in Wyoming, Oregon, California, and Montana while on vacation. Makes amazing BLT’s. Free ham bones for your dogs .

Alcohol is more expensive here than in Florida. Bring it with you.

Bring Fly Rods, lots of trout fishing.

View Quote

If he gets a big bike, BobCole will be an invaluable guide for who/what/where/why/when is the best stuff to see on two wheels. Dude lives on his bike and is on it year-round.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't speed in Benton. I stay in Reliance at least once a year to do the Ocoee rafting trip. I was given that advise by the cabin rental company the first time I went.
View Quote

Don't listen to him. You ride through Benton just as fast as you want to go.

Be sure to wave as you go through................  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for Calhoun. They had a billboard that said 36 is illegal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Something about "mongrel dogs" and Patrick Ferguson.

Fellow in the class after mine at gonnesmything school told me he had a "yelling boy/overmountain man" relative who fought at King's Mountain.   I asked for a name and he had only the last name.  I found three relatives.  He was delighted.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Dammit dont talk about this on the internet!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks all.

View Quote

https://deadzeroshooting.com/clubs/
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Something about "mongrel dogs" and Patrick Ferguson.

Fellow in the class after mine at gonnesmything school told me he had a "yelling boy/overmountain man" relative who fought at King's Mountain.   I asked for a name and he had only the last name.  I found three relatives.  He was delighted.
View Quote

It's a good read. They took the Brits and Ferguson and pushed their shit, prison style. Arguably this battle was a critical pivot point in winning the war.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Thanks but that range is about 120 miles away. I went out there and checked it out when I was staying up in Pikeville. It's a very nice facility.  There'a also really nice range north on Monteagle, can't reember the name but it's also nice with 1000yd KD.

Spring Creek looks to be right over the river, maybe 20 min away and I can make that work. I can also push up a berm on my property but it'll get noisy....I shoot pretty hard.

Does the state allow steel on their ranges?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#35]
My relatives in TN hate the Floridians who are moving in and buying up property.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My relatives in TN hate the Floridians who are moving in and buying up property.
View Quote

Except I'm not a Floridian
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks but that range is about 120 miles away. I went out there and checked it out when I was staying up in Pikeville. It's a very nice facility.  There'a also really nice range north on Monteagle, can't reember the name but it's also nice with 1000yd KD.

Spring Creek looks to be right over the river, maybe 20 min away and I can make that work. I can also push up a berm on my property but it'll get noisy....I shoot pretty hard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.elkrivertrainingcenter.com/

A bit NE of Pelham.  I'm taking a long rifle precision class there in June - if I can find 200 rounds of .308 Match.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Cleveland Hunting Rifle and Pistol club does some competitions but all of that may be suspended due to covid.

View Quote

I can confirm they are suspended.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.elkrivertrainingcenter.com/

A bit NE of Pelham.  I'm taking a long rifle precision class there in June - if I can find 200 rounds of .308 Match.  
View Quote

That's the other one. I spoke with the range master, Mark I believe. Real nice guy and really nice facility. That one would be worth the drive if I get back into long range precision.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor!  I don't know about 36 being illegal, but I can confirm 39 is.  I also can tell you not to have illegally tinted windows and drive through Calhoun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor!  I don't know about 36 being illegal, but I can confirm 39 is.  I also can tell you not to have illegally tinted windows and drive through Calhoun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, and yeah that too.

They gotta get them funds somehow!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Howdy.

Thanks for the info. Been through both Benton and Calhoun and see no reason to go to either on a regular basis. Taxation using law enforcement aggravates the shit out of me.

As a quick aside I was coming back from ACY at the Air Marshall training center right after 9/11.  I was training Marshalls and had a fellow trainer in the truck with me, a Fayetteville PD officer who I was friends with.

We got pulled over on I95 going trough Emporia VA doing 55 in a 55.  My buddy looked at the cop, flipped out his creds and told him we weren't speeding and that we were doing 55. Cop said shut up or you're both going to jail.  

Having an armed man operating under the color of law lie right to your face and then tax you for $150 is really something.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is all very correct.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Should have read the thread first.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I have spent a lot of time in that area. It is my favorite part of the country. Drugs are a problem though, and break ins of unoccupied properties are common. I wouldn't keep anything valuable in the cabin if it is going to be unoccupied most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#46]
@pdm

Do you have a listing or other listings in the area?
Or anyone else in East TN?
Your post is good timing for me. Was looking in East TN mountain areas this morning.
Half assed said to my wife - fuck it we are out - and she said good, do it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have spent a lot of time in that area. It is my favorite part of the country. Drugs are a problem though, and break ins of unoccupied properties are common. I wouldn't keep anything valuable in the cabin if it is going to be unoccupied most of the time.
View Quote

One of my biggest concerns. Had land in west TN that got run over by methbillies after the recession.
Guess they are everywhere rural.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just closed on a house with a few acres on a private lake 15 minutes away from the range if you ever need a weekend away from vacation home
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

One of my biggest concerns. Had land in west TN that got run over by methbillies after the recession.
Guess they are everywhere rural.
View Quote

That's a true statement, methbillies are a thing but I think I have it covered or at least working at it

My road has 4 people on it and it's a private road with a big sign that says no trespassing.

I've met 3 of the four neighbors. The 2 at the bottom are sweet people and they watch everyone coming up the mountain and will watch my property when I'm not around. The little old lady also offerred to keep my house clean and take care of any animals if I decide to get some.  The neighbor up the road from me is a retired SF brother and also a retired deputy Sheriff.  He has sensors on the road from my property up to his. It just doesn't get better than this. So he and I are at the top, maybe 1.5 miles up the road and behind is the Cherokee national forest. That may be an avenue of approach but certainly not a line of drift and remember I'm a former SF guy and I am aware of what a natural line of drift is....unlike the SEALs.  

The one neighbor I haven't met is a recluse with all sorts of "you trespass and I'll kill you signs" on the way up to his house. I'm cool with that.

Once I close and begin to move in I'll install a monitored alarm system, wifi enabled cameras and also put in some road sensors down the road.  We'll also get some handhelds to put at each others property for comms.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@pdm

Do you have a listing or other listings in the area?
Or anyone else in East TN?
Your post is good timing for me. Was looking in East TN mountain areas this morning.
Half assed said to my wife - fuck it we are out - and she said good, do it.
View Quote

Just sent you an IM

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top