Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 1 of 118)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 118
Posted: 6/19/2020 8:28:29 PM EDT
It seems that nearly every week someone starts a thread asking for a bourbon recommendation, to ask what others are drinking, etc. I thought it would be nice to have an ongoing thread where people can ask questions, post pictures, share information, reviews and more.

Tonight, I’m starting off by finishing off the last of a bottle of an entry level bourbon, Old Forester 86 proof. I keep quite a few varieties on hand including a couple lower proof budget bourbon for making cocktails for my wife and guests.

I bought a couple of bottle today and needed to make room in my cabinet so I’m emptying these last of a couple of these basic pours. For a $20 bourbon, OF86 is not bad at all. Nice spicy vanilla on the nose with a hint of floral. Smooth and slightly sweet on the tongue as you might expect from the lower proof. Very short finish with a bit of lingering cinnamon.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sixnine:
I can't find Buffalo Trace around too easily. I do see a ton of Benchmark showing up which is made by BT. Are they phasing out BT and switching to this lower price label?
View Quote

BT can be tough to find in certain parts of the country because bourbon has such a screwed up distribution system but there is no indication that Buffalo Trace Distillery would ever get rid of their namesake offering as far as I know...
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Knob Creek every night.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AllAlphas:

BT can be tough to find in certain parts of the country because bourbon has such a screwed up distribution system but there is no indication that Buffalo Trace Distillery would ever get rid of their namesake offering as far as I know...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I can't find Buffalo Trace around too easily. I do see a ton of Benchmark showing up which is made by BT. Are they phasing out BT and switching to this lower price label?

Son in law put BT on the list for something for Christmas , unobtanium unless you live at the liquor store. Stopped by again yesterday , they got A case , sold it in minutes .

I know nothing of bourbon , so got him a bottle of 1792 .
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Christmas lineup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Y’all ever make a hot toddy?

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HelloMyNameIs] [#8]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Y’all ever make a hot toddy?

View Quote

I do when I feel bad with cold or bad sinus allergies.  I grew up like that though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HelloMyNameIs:

I do when I feel bad with cold or bad sinus allergies.  I grew up like that though.
View Quote

I just made one, pretty ok. Woodford, water, honey, and lemon. What do you usually put in yours alcohol-wise?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]

I just made one, pretty ok. Woodford, water, honey, and lemon. What do you usually put in yours alcohol-wise?
View Quote

I grew up with just plain Jack, so that’s what I stick with.  Usually an ounce and half or two of whiskey, a tablespoon of honey, some hot water, squeeze a lemon about a tablespoon and put slice in it.  My grandma used to throw a teabag in it too and either give you a peppermint or cinnamon stick.  

I had it this year with Bulleit and it was good too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
I used to be able to buy it by the handle now it's tough to find a fifth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

Buffalo Trace has done an impressive job with their marketing, not just with their limited release BTAC line but with their everyday offerings as well.  
Combine that with the increased interest in bourbons that started about 5 years ago and the time it takes to distill a quality bourbon and you have the makings of a limited supply for a rapidly growing market.
Much of it is regional and state to state as well.  The three level distribution system they currently use is broken and having states that add layers of control to that system means many will always have trouble finding their favorite pours.
I can walk into my favorite supermarket and buy Buffalo Trace every day of the week, 24 hours a day.  OTOH, I've never seen a bottle of Weller, of any type, on the shelf at my usual haunts. Even Special Reserve is allocated as ridiculous as that sounds.  Other parts of the country have Weller stacked in the aisles.  
It can be frustrating, but it makes it fun for those of us that enjoy the chase almost as much as we enjoy the pour.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Drinking some Knob Creek 12 100 proof tonight.
Gotta admit I didn't enjoy it when I first opened up the bottle but it's pretty fantastic now that I'm halfway thru it.  
I think opening it up and letting it sit for a few days helped it out quite a bit.  Has that nice long, tasty, finish that I prefer.
One thing I still hate is the small, difficult to remove cork stopper and wax seal that they use on this bottle.  The wax is a pain to remove and the cork stopper is tighter than...well, imagine something really tight and difficult to get a good grip on.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:09:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rob78:
Had an ok score at the local lottery. Got another bottle of Stagg jr so pretty much means I can drink the other at will.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71042/20201219_155705_jpg-1738936.JPG
View Quote

@rob78

As a new collector who just got EH Taylor straight rye on allocation, do you mind me asking where you’re putting your name/raffle in? I’m just in the beginning phase of a collection.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By XDfense:

@rob78

As a new collector who just got EH Taylor straight rye on allocation, do you mind me asking where you’re putting your name/raffle in? I’m just in the beginning phase of a collection.
View Quote

IM sent.  Keep it to yourself.  Don't want a bunch of neckbearders or resellers jacking up my honeyhole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Just picked up some Four Roses Single Barrel. I really like the bottle design.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NoEffects6:
View Quote

Great stuff. Very consistent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By justsayin:

Nice, been on my list for quite awhile, no joy.

View Quote

My wife came home with it after stopping by the store to pick up more Eagle Rare. She also picked up a few Old Forrester varieties.

RHF is really good but I know what she paid so it better be lol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Don't want a bunch of neckbearders or resellers jacking up my honeyhole.
View Quote
This is one of my pet peeves.  People acquiring bottles for the sole purpose of reselling.  Really chaps my ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Libertas:
This is one of my pet peeves.  People acquiring bottles for the sole purpose of reselling.  Really chaps my ass.
View Quote
Totally ruined my old spot.  Completely ruined it.

They'd wait for the distributor truck to arrive and practically buy it in the parking lot, by the case, and put in their trunk.  And then head back off to Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, where ever.

The owner knew they were making their living on reselling, but he had to make a living too I guess.  Soon after, he started marking everything up at secondary market prices and I just stopped going in.

Conversely, the current store I go to is dedicated to taking care of repeat locals.  They don't cater to collectors or resellers.  If you don't know who to ask, you're limited to strictly what is on the shelves...which honestly is full of premium bourbons anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:16:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mp40Gunner] [#24]
My score of the year from a customer. Noticed some old dusties in the basement and asked about them and she gave them to me. Weller has a bottle date of '77 and the OGD is '80. Have a decent amount of evaporation on the OGD, but I don't care. Opened both because whiskey is made to be enjoyed not collected. I can't even describe how good this juice is. They don't make bourbon like this anymore.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mp40Gunner:
My score of the year from a customer. Noticed some old dusties in the basement and asked about them and she gave them to me. Weller has a bottle date of '77 and the OGD is '80. Have a decent amount of evaporation on the OGD, but I don't care. Opened both because whiskey is made to be enjoyed not collected. I can't even describe how good this juice is. They don't make bourbon like this anymore.
https://i.ibb.co/b7XqtR8/084-DE16-C-3-B5-A-42-BE-86-D4-654-BDA0-A2-F6-B.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/D74Wh8S/6-E971-B79-4-E1-D-4-B1-E-9-F7-A-6-A6-B6564-A279.jpg
View Quote
The Weller is from the Stitzel Weller barrels.  To my knowledge the only ones remaining are in the possession of the Van Winkle family.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mp40Gunner] [#26]

The Weller is from the Stitzel Weller barrels.  To my knowledge the only ones remaining are in the possession of the Van Winkle family.
View Quote
Yep. Real S-W juice. And to think that this was run of the mill whiskey back then, when brown liquor wasn't popular.

I sent a pic to a buddy who collects and he offered me $1,500 for the Weller. Told him I already opened it and wanted to drink it. This will probably be a one pour a year bottle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: operatorerror] [#27]
Those old OGD and Weller bottles...very cool.  I'd drink them too.   eta Very slowly though, just to compare to newer product.   Heck the empties might be worth something too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
https://i.ibb.co/b7XqtR8/084-DE16-C-3-B5-A-42-BE-86-D4-654-BDA0-A2-F6-B.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/D74Wh8S/6-E971-B79-4-E1-D-4-B1-E-9-F7-A-6-A6-B6564-A279.jpg

View Quote

Nice!!  
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Yea, I’m not posting about the $27 bottle I just killed after that post.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Yea, I'm not posting about the $27 bottle I just killed after that post.
View Quote
Eh, I'm no snob. What did you finish? Believe me, my whiskey collection is far from top shelf. My every day is either ECSB or 1792.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Please speak to me of Wild Turkey 101.
I just made my first purchase.
What should I expect or try to appreciate?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Pault:
Found some cool bottles gathering dust in a local store https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73682/8E5601D0-7AE9-43BA-AB00-CA1E8F47F829-1741860.jpg
View Quote

Lemme know what you think of the Michter's.
We found it too sweet and carmelly. The dude at the store recommended it for my wife. She prefers Elijah Craig cask strength!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Eh, I'm no snob. What did you finish? Believe me, my whiskey collection is far from top shelf. My every day is either ECSB or 1792.
View All Quotes
Yea, I'm not posting about the $27 bottle I just killed after that post.

Black Ridge, a coworker FaceTime’d me when she was in Kentucky around Thanksgiving and I told her to pick it up for me to try.

Was pretty decent for $30, wasn’t complex but it was a good pour.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Black Ridge, a coworker FaceTime'd me when she was in Kentucky around Thanksgiving and I told her to pick it up for me to try.

Was pretty decent for $30, wasn't complex but it was a good pour.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/399736/92B78FD1-BD90-4443-8C16-BF63108C3454_jpe-1742327.JPG
View Quote
Never heard of it. I'll add that to the list of things to try.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Anything here worth trying? I've had the Kentucky Owl and it wasn't my favorite...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By myfakename:
Anything here worth trying? I've had the Kentucky Owl and it wasn't my favorite...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/33134_jpeg-1742386.
View Quote
Kentucky Owl wasn't worth the price, IMO. I've had the Smoke small batch. It was decent for an MGP mix. However, there are other things I'd spend the money on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:21:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#38]
Originally Posted By NoEffects6:
View Quote

The bottle design is literally what drove me to buy it for the first time. It was the first "good" whiskey I ever bought. Still a staple on my shelf. Store picks are $75 but they're still worth it.

ETA: Now, I have gotten 2 bad bottles in 7 years of consumption. Sometimes they happen, but single barrels are like that. Personally I dont believe that should happen, but it it never stopped me from getting more.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Winter Solstice seems like a good time to reach in the back of the cabinet and pull this one out.    Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I use breakingbourbon.com as a single review site to help me pick my next bottle. I went to the store today to check out their Old Forrester options, and based on review grabbed a bottle of OF 1897 Bottled in Bond. Had a pour tonight and it was exactly as described. Will definitely make it a staple. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#41]

IM sent.  Keep it to yourself.  Don't want a bunch of neckbearders or resellers jacking up my honeyhole.
View Quote

I hope we don't have the same one!
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Kentucky Owl wasn't worth the price, IMO. I've had the Smoke small batch. It was decent for an MGP mix. However, there are other things I'd spend the money on.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By myfakename:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/33134_jpeg-1742386.

I liked the Kentucky Owl, but I agree that $150 is too damn high.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Today's pick up from my local store
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hater] [#44]
Originally Posted By LibertyOrDeath76:
Christmas lineup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390171/20201220_162705_jpg-1740447.JPG
View Quote
Awesome. Love the Stagg Jr and And am dying to try the Full Proof and Single Barrel Wellers. Only if I can buy at retail.  Haven't even seen either.

Weller 12 is dropping right now so be on the lookout.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ackspac:
https://i.imgur.com/PeFkyq0.jpg
View Quote

Nice pickup
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ackspac:
https://i.imgur.com/PeFkyq0.jpg
View Quote

Damn!!  Where in the land of bourbon did you find that!?!  I’d like to take a day trip to find this!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
Please speak to me of Wild Turkey 101.
I just made my first purchase.
What should I expect or try to appreciate?
View Quote

Have nothing to share except that I love it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Costco in Hoover has cases of it for $124 right now, limit 1, lol.

I found it on sale once for $95, I'd buy it again for that price.
View All Quotes

I liked the Kentucky Owl, but I agree that $150 is too damn high.

Costco in Hoover has cases of it for $124 right now, limit 1, lol.

I found it on sale once for $95, I'd buy it again for that price.

Right or wrong, at $100 I'd buy it again and again.  Its really good, I just don't see $150 in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 118
The Official Bourbon Thread (Page 1 of 118)
Top Top