Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/27/2020 7:44:59 PM EDT
When I was a kid, 25-30 years ago, there was this old abandoned house my friends and I used to visit. It was down a kind of frontage road on the edge of town that turned to dirt past some townhomes. A couple hundred yards from where the road turned to dirt, there was a huge overgrown cedar hedge, twenty feet tall and surrounding what was obviously an old estate. About halfway down the length of the hedge was a break, about the width of a car. It was an old driveway, although the driveway was now long gone, replaced only by two ruts through an overgrown lawn. We’d drive out there, usually with girls in the car. If you followed the ruts you went sorta downhill and around a curve and there was this huge abandoned brown brick home. It was three stories, with a walkout basement and a carport underneath. When you pulled up in the front, there were a couple steps to a wide double doorway. The doors were always ajar; all the windows were broken. The inside of the house was covered in graffiti and remnants of broken bottles and little fires. The floors were rotten and sagging.  

One night my buddy and I drove out there with our dates, and pulled around the back, our headlights shining up on all four stories of that old house looming above us. One of the girls said “What if someone is in there?”  It was an inky black summer night. Our headlights were the only illumination anywhere nearby. Just after she said that, some guy stepped into one of the windows on the second story. It wasn’t a kid - it was a tall pale bald man. Scared the shit out of us. My buddy who was driving spun out of there at light speed. I remember we had to drive around the house to get out, and I thought that creepy bald fucker would be running out the front door toward us when we drove by. He wasn’t though - that front door was like a black hole into nothing, back in our taillights as we sped away.

I still dream about that house a couple times a year. Happened last night. Woke up in a cold sweat.

So how about you?  What’s the scariest place you’ve ever been?

PS runner up were the Roman catacombs. Freaked me out!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I took the wrong exit and wound up in East St. Louis.

Never again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably the last two places I worked at.  The first had a feel of death to the place.  The site owner was convinced that he was going to die young of lukemia like his dad.  Most of the site staff smoked and there were cigarette butts on the floor.  The guy I worked under who rented the place  place died of lung cancer.   He was sick the whole time I worked for him.  The other guy I worked with was in poor health.

The second place was a daily mind fuck, with union guys playing mind games on the non exempts and my boss figuring he could deal with those mind games by throwing his non exempt underlings under the buss the please the union guys.  What a cluster fuck.  I still have bad dreams.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The gas chamber at Auschwitz. When I was there as part of the tour they would shut the doors on the group. There was a presence in that room.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The solitary confinement area of the old Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield. Most of the old prison is pretty cool and it's fun to see. However the solitary confinement part is reputedly the most paranormally active area, and it's dank and cold and miserable just walking through it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
MLK Blvd at night the city doesn't matter
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
boulder, colorado

no bullshit
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never again.
View Quote

Me too, on a motorcycle  --------------  fortunately, a fast one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never again.
View Quote

I was in Oakland CA once in the middle of the night. That particular area looked like it wasn't fit to be in even in bright mid day sun. Menacing for sure, though maybe not in a spooky way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Running around the Everglades at night was pretty creepy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The gas chamber at Auschwitz. When I was there as part of the tour they would shut the doors on the group. There was a presence in that room.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, yeah!  That would be a bad one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
boulder, colorado

no bullshit
View Quote

Why, may I ask?  Ghost of JonBenet Ramsey, or just dirty hippies?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
This fucking place.

Attachment Attached File

passed it on a drive from Murphy, NC to Gatlinburg, TN. Was so insanely weird and creepy up in the mountains we had to look. Seemed like quite a few people were squatting there even though it was abandoned. Lots of needles and shit you'd find at other dens. Lots of sleeping areas. Place definitely made my skin crawl. Couldn't imagine being there at night. We didn't stick around long after glancing in a few rooms. Felt like we were being watched. Not me necessarily by ghosts but more likely methheads.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a fair amount of jogging going on here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to live near capitol court in Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#16]
NE Washington DC after 9PM around 1987...

16 murders that night alone....I decided to drive with a girlfriend to Beltsville through the city to US 1.

Don't do that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never again.
View Quote

Gas station on MLK Blvd in Memphis for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Vietnam, Nov '69
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
my friends bathroom in his master bedroom years ago. His wife had this possessed antique doll. Every time I went to take a piss I would walk out and that little things head would be staring at me, it's head was looking somewhere else when I went into the bathroom. My friends kitchen was next to the bathroom wall and I could clearly hear them in the kitchen making coffee - walk out of the bathroom nope things head moved.  I pissed so many times in that bathroom with the door open trying to catch my friends messing with me.  This is where I spent my sober nights.

Every year it's eyes would change color just a little bit.

I knew my friends wife back in junior high, she had a boyfriend that tried burning a cross in it's forehead, she blacked out and beat the shit out of her boyfriend - doesn't even remember doing it - she weighed less than 80#'s. We were into Heavy Metal so parents blamed the music

Little dolls can be creepy.

Used to ride horses up by spawn ranch and Manson caves, no wheres near as creepy as that doll.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Chicago
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why, may I ask?  Ghost of JonBenet Ramsey, or just dirty hippies?
View Quote

filthy hippies and commies
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#22]
U.S. House of Represtatives...Speaker Pelosi's House..with POTUS Obama in the White House

scary fuckin place..
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#23]
The old Montana state prison in Deer Lodge Montana......that place spooked both my wife and I when we toured it.....we cut short the tour when the wife told me..."we need to leave this place....now"
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Me and the wife walking on the Wheatfield at Gettysburg at dark.  She swears that she could feel someone trying to grab her.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to say gas chamber, except at Dachau.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jesus. That would be brutal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#27]
East Hastings neighborhood in Vancouver, BC at night. Holy fuck that place was sketch. There was a literal dumpster fire, junkies and homeless everywhere, no cops and the streetlights were all out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Probably exploring underground WW II Germany Army tunnels under two kasernes (military posts) in Germany.  We were forbidden to enter them and the entrances were generally unknown, 98% rumor and locked.  One I walked through outside Frankfurt still had WWII nazi military items in them.  One I remember well was a sand table.  They were dead dark, dank and dirty.  I did one alone and one with two friends.  Never left word with anyone outside.  Not good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Byberry State Hospital in Phila.  When I was going to K9 school, the hospital had been closed because of the ACLU.  We were doing night work, running searches in the abandoned buildings before they were demolished.  We had to go through the basement of every building before we started, because some of the former patients had come back and were living there.  Place was creepy even when it was open, had a definite horror movie castle vibe, but abandoned, no power and psych patients roaming around unspervised?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going there next April.  I think it's going to be the highlight of my 10 day trip. Not because I'm that fucked up but because my uncle would not take me there 30 years ago when I visited him.

As for my creepy place - either the deep woods of the NJ Pine Barrens at night or Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia. Even in the daytime that place had a special creepy feel to some of the cells when you stepped inside them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same, Dachau.

Glad I went but never want to go back.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Never again.
View Quote

Came to post this exact story... Missed my exit and had to cross the bridge before turning around.  Should have gone further...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've read other accounts that say the same thing...…………..

One of the most eerie places I have ever been is Salem, Mass...…………...there is an unhealthy air about that town, and my wife wanted nothing to do with staying there for long
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I was inside one of the Auschwitz train cars. It was extremely eerie.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#35]
The woods alongside a rest stop along a highway in Massachusetts. When I was little we used to go up to visit my brother in Natick.

We were stopped and I wandered off into the woods a little bit to explore. There, lying in the mud, was a stuffed teddy bear. Creeped me the heck out for some reason, even though I was only about 5. Even after all these years, I can still see it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Two places.

The basement of my childhood home.
Story goes that it was a mafia safehouse of sorts back in the prohibition days. They sold bulk booze and ran numbers (house had an absurd amount of phone lines going to the basement).
I think some bad shit went down in the basement back in the day. Always had this spooky presence. I never felt comfortable down there as a kid.

The little town area near La Bufadora in Baja Mexico (abt an hour south of Ensenada).
Just a little shithole street of run down bars, restaurants and souvenir shops.  
At the time there was a derelict Dodge Diplomat cop car just randomly abandoned in a parking lot behind the strip. We have a picture of us in front of it.
Dunno what it was about that place but it had this creepy ass Lost Boys/From Dusk Till Dawn vibe to it that I could not shake. I would not want to be there after dark.
Everybody there seemed creepy as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#38]
One summer I was working at the small town airport near where I grew up.

Every day just before dark I had to walk into this old hanger left over from WWII, walk down an added on lean to and cut off the power and then walk out through the now dark building.

Place really creeped me out and that old building (or something ) would be making all kinds of funky sounds.

After the second or third day I started driving a tractor down there and would it leaving running by the door so at least I couldn't hear anything.

Still creeped me out but at least it was doable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Tuol Sleng prison
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Was involved in a business and we looked at taking over an old abandoned state mental hospital.  Huge facility. Huge.

On the tour of said facility we were going through the bowels of the place and there shower stalls with restraints and that kind of stuff.

In one room there was an old placard that read “Pennsylvania home for feeble, minded women.”

All I could think was “Place ain’t big enough.”

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#41]
The courhouse in Lincoln, New Mexico.  It's the building where Billy the Kid was imprisoned before his scheduled hanging and where he killed his two guards and escaped.

We arrived in Lincoln just after dark and checked into the Wortley Hotel, which is across the street from the Courthouse.   There was already an eery feeling in the air but I wanted to see the courthouse so we walked over and stood at the stone marking where Bob Olinger was shotgunned by Billy.  I knew that James Bell's stone was in the back so I headed back there and when I got to it, I realized I was alone.  I took a few photos of the stone and the back door of the building.  I went on around the building and found my wife waiting in front.  She said she followed me at first but reached a point where she was too scared and could not force herself to keep going so she returned to the front of the building.

We went back to our room and both of us say we could feel "something" coming from the old courthouse, it was like the courthouse was calling us.  Very strange.

Years later, I told a co-worker, who has convinced me that she is psychic, about the incidence and she wanted to see the photos I took.  I brought the photos to work and in the photo of the back door, in the dark, she said she could see a man looking thru the window of the door, even though there is no one visible in the photo.  She described him and the next day I brought in a photo of four men, two of whom had lived in that building and she immediately pointed to Lawrence Murphy, who had the building built and who had lived there.  Okay, pretty strange.  Could be a lucky guess.

Years after that, I was directed to an obscure book written by the wife of the sheriff of Lincoln who followed Pat Garrett.  In the book, she described living upstairs with her husband and having a boarder living downstairs.  Sometimes at night, they would hear screaming and loud bangs and they would go down and find the downstairs in disarray.  The boarder always claimed that the ghost of Lawrence Murphy had been there again and was stirring up trouble.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#42]
The office building I work in. Sometimes I work late and the walls will creak and sound like footsteps. Gets me every damn time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Pet Semetaaary
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#44]
The basement of a former mental hospital in Va...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#46]
When I was a kid.
The catacombs outside of Rome, Italy.
Dark, cold, damp and definitely spooky.
I remember seeing the skeletons in their burial nooks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

This. I was there when I was in high school. It was eerie the moment you saw and walked in the front gate.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Me and the wife walking on the Wheatfield at Gettysburg at dark.  She swears that she could feel someone trying to grab her.
View Quote

There are a lot of lost souls at Gettysburg.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#49]
The Ridges in Athens, OH.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've read other accounts that say the same thing.....

One of the most eerie places I have ever been is Salem, Mass......there is an unhealthy air about that town, and my wife wanted nothing to do with staying there for long
View Quote
My immigrant ancestor lived there long before the witch nonsense.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top