Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 73
Posted: 3/12/2020 12:50:04 AM EDT
Just got a TRD Pro and I'm thinking about a small lift and upsizing the tires.

Not my 1st 4Runner but most definitely the nicest. The interior is a big improvement, the JBL Premium audio is fantastic, not sure if I prefer the KDSS on my old Trail Edition or the Fox suspension on the Pro better.

The TRD Pro rack is kind of useless and I'm thinking about a replacement for that as well.

The last item on the list is getting the headlights to match the white LED fog lights. That's not quite as straight forward as it may sound.

Any of you guys own a new 4Runner (5th Gen is kinda the category so I guess that starts around 2014)? And if so, have you changed anything on it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BoiseG:

I was considering that I would have to touch up the underside with some Krylon rust prevention spray paint, but I've never had anything powder coated before. Any idea if it will chip in large sections or just scrape off where the rock scrapes? I'm not sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

If you actually use your sliders, be prepared to touch them up at least yearly if not more often.  When I order mine I'm getting bare steel and using primer and Rust oleum.  I wouldn't pay the premium for PC myself.

I was considering that I would have to touch up the underside with some Krylon rust prevention spray paint, but I've never had anything powder coated before. Any idea if it will chip in large sections or just scrape off where the rock scrapes? I'm not sure.
Yes

Any and all can happen with powder. With sliders typically what I see is scrapes where it's used, plus small chips from gravel hitting them. Powder can definitely peel off too if it's not prepped well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
Just contacted my favorite dealer & salesperson (Amie @ Marquart) to order a 2024 LC
I'm liking what I'm reading so far...and could use the extra width...
View Quote
I have one reserved as well, but not selling the 4R for it. I did list my LX though, well see if a few things fall in place. There's still months to go
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]

I’m a new member too. Your rig looks outstanding… because it looks just like mine. lol. Congrats!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pbrtime:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/507381/IMG_20240402_181624016_jpg-3177194.JPG                                Joined the club yesterday.  2021 TRD

I’m a new member too. Your rig looks outstanding… because it looks just like mine. lol. Congrats!

Wheel and tire upgrade Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jafrush:
Yes

Any and all can happen with powder. With sliders typically what I see is scrapes where it's used, plus small chips from gravel hitting them. Powder can definitely peel off too if it's not prepped well.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought the RSGs with pc. I'm not into rock crawling, but I do go to a lot of areas in the desert where I'll risk hitting rocks, so it's reassuring to have them installed, but I likely won't be too terribly hard on the pc.  

Well, tires and sliders within 4 days of purchase means I'll just be lurking this, "what have you done to your 4Runner" thread for quite some time because, I'm spent!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Looks great, I like the black wheels.  What's next?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Looks great, I like the black wheels.  What's next?
View Quote

Probably ditch lights.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
Toyota Teaser – All-New 2025 6th Gen 4Runner!
https://trail4runner.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/6th-gen-4Runner.jpg
The Wait Is Finally Over! Toyota Releases A Mysterious Rear End Photo

This is not a drill! Toyota officially teased their upcoming 6th Generation 4Runner very casually on their Facebook & Instagram feeds today.

Toyota’s caption read “From 1984 to so much more… Can you identify each model year?”

They included 6 photos showcasing 1st through 5th Gen 4Runners with the 6th photo being the official teaser of the new one. We will break down this photo in the next section, but it’s beyond exciting to know that we are officially getting a new 4Runner this year! Toyota typically starts their teasers around a month out before the official reveal, so we must be very close!

Let’s break down this teaser now.
Table Of Contents

Photo Break Down
   2025 Expectations
   Final Thoughts

Photo Break Down

In typically Toyota fashion, the first teaser for this all-new 4Runner does really show us a whole lot, however, there are still some items in this photo that we can break down a little bit.

Rear Lower Valence

It appears that the silver valence has returned. For the 5th Gen, we saw this on TRD Off-Road models, so this may be the trim level that we are looking at here. We also see some red reflectors in the rear bumper as well, which hasn’t been a feature on the 4Runner since the 4th Gen.

Heritage Blue Color

So, Toyota seems to be bringing this amazing color back to their SUVs, and I could not be happier. This color was last shown to us on the 2014 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Ultimate Edition. Toyota then showcased it on the upcoming 2024 Landcruiser and now seems to be showcasing it here on the new 6th Gen. I love this color. If you all don’t know, I have a 2018 4Runner in Cavalry Blue. Heritage Blue is very similar to this, color but a shade different. I can’t wait to see the rest of this new 4R in this color.

4Runner Lettering

We know this is the new 4Runner just based on Toyota’s post along with the nameplate bold stamped across the tailgate. Now, let me know in the comments what you think about Toyota putting “4Runner” on the lower portion of the tailgate down in the comments. Personally, I don’t like that they put it here. Maybe I’ll like it better in person when I see it in the future, but as of right now, it kinda looks outta place. I prefer how the 5th Gen has it placed along the tailgate handle. Speaking of this handle, you can see it a little bit at the top of the photo, it looks pretty iconic to 4Runners of the past with its design. I just really wish it said 4Runner there rather than on the lower portion of the tailgate. Also, chrome? Meh.

Taller Tailgate & Lights

This tailgate looks taller and a bit flatter than the new 2024 Land Cruiser that was recently announced. What does this mean? Well, hopefully, it means that the rear roll-down window is here to stay. It also looks like the taillights are only on the side of the truck, hopefully allowing for the rear window to roll down into the tailgate with ease.

What else do you all see in this photo? Let us know in the comments below!
2025 Expectations

2025 Toyota 4Runner spy photo

Read my previous post if you haven’t – 6G 4Runner Expectations. I’ll also add some items here that I hope to see this new vehicle have.

Powertrain

Heavy rumor suggests that this new 4Runner will offer the same powertrain options that we have recently seen announced for the 4th Gen Tacoma. Rumors even suggest that the manual transmission will make its return to this new 4R as well, which is absolutely insane if that is true.

Japan Built

I have a solid gut feeling that the new 4Runner will continue its Japanese heritage and will be built in Japan as it has been for the last 40+ years. Many have expressed their concerns about a North American manufacturing, but I am pretty hopeful that it will continue to be built in Japan alongside the new Land Cruiser and Lexus GX550.

Price

I am really hoping that this new 4Runner doesn’t get an insane price bump over the current model. Toyota has been milking the current generation, so I hope that they have a pile of money to offset this new truck so that the price increase isn’t insane. Keep in mind the new Land Cruiser starts at $55K. The 4R will need to start in the $40K range and not overlap the new LC too much so that it makes sense with their price ladder.

4Runner Vibes

https://trail4runner.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/2025-6th-Gen-4Runner-02.jpg

This new 6th Gen needs to look like a 4Runner. The 4R has always had key features that allow it to stand apart from other models and brands. This new one should be no different. it needs to look like an organic evolution from the 5th Gen and still keep the DNA of every 4Runner before it.
Final Thoughts

Who else is as excited as I am? I have a feeling we can see this new 4R as early as next month with the absolute latest being around May timeframe. We started seeing Tacoma teasers around this time last year with ultimately the truck being revealed in May. I cannot wait to see what Toyota has to offer. All I know is that this new one has huge shoes to fill.
View Quote

It’s going to suck unless you want a minivan type SUV. I’ve seen the mockups from all the YouTube car folks and you know they work closely with the manufacturers, so they’re going to have at least some ideas what the final form will look like. It’s going to suck!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the 6th Gen will be revealed on April 9th.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
View Quote

Screen is massive.

Rear window and surround looks like an enlarged 5th gen.

What the do with the front and roofline will make or break it.

We know the GX and LC have most of the same DNA, let's see it.

Question is what engines?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Screen is massive.

View All Quotes

Screen is massive.

To me there's no question about the engine 2.4L hybrid
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
To me there's no question about the engine 2.4L hybrid
View Quote

Given that they'd be insane to price it above the LC and GX the 2.4 is almost guaranteed with the main question being hybrid availability/upcharge.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of rich people here buying expensive vehicles.  Must be nice
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By konger:

It’s going to suck unless you want a minivan type SUV. I’ve seen the mockups from all the YouTube car folks and you know they work closely with the manufacturers, so they’re going to have at least some ideas what the final form will look like. It’s going to suck!
View Quote

Most of the mockups are taking guesses on the looks, and they probably aren't all too far off given that it's a box on a frame on wheels and Toyota seems to have a unified front end for the vehicles on the tnga-f platform. Doesn't leave a lot of room for creativity in the AI generation prompts.

The only previews from Toyota that we've seen are the few screenshots of the blue one released over the past few days, and I'd be shocked if much of the media saw them beforehand. It's why you have these articles being posted which are a lot of words saying nothing.

Not really sure what would quantify a minivan type SUV in your head, it's very likely going to be very similar to the Tacoma but with a hatch instead.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HerculesMulligan:
Lots of rich people here buying expensive vehicles.  Must be nice
View Quote

Rich, no sir not me? Saved my butt off for a while to make it happen.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:00:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoiseG] [#15]
View Quote

I hated what they did to the new Tacoma so much that I bought the 4Runner instead. In my opinion, if the changes are in line with the Tacoma, I wouldn't touch one for a least a few years to give them time to iron out the bugs. I'm sure you guys saw the video of the front diff break on the new Tacoma?  That was disgusting.  

10:00 in the video
Our Brand-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Almost Left Us Stranded...Here's What Happened!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]

I hated what they did to the new Tacoma so much that I bought the 4Runner instead. In my opinion, if the changes are in line with the Tacoma, I wouldn't touch one for a least a few years to give them time to iron out the bugs. I'm sure you guys saw the video of the front diff break on the new Tacoma?  That was disgusting.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svD7Mx2xius
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svD7Mx2xius
Its pretty much a given it'll share a ton of similarities with the new Tacoma, look to the Tundra/Sequoia and how much those share - a lot. It'll probably be a bit of a hybrid of what we've seen of the Tacoma and LC250. The biggest question yet to be answered is how Toyota plans to differentiate it from the LC besides part time vs full time 4wd and body styling.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I need a cargo cover. Hows the amazon ones that cover the whole cargo area?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#18]
You don't have a factory one? Mine came with one? Works great, fits perfectly...I'm sure you can find a factory one and not have to wonder if chinesum fits.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Are-O-Be] [#19]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
I need a cargo cover. Hows the amazon ones that cover the whole cargo area?
View Quote

I just bought a factory one and I don’t really like it. It leaves a big gap between the cover at both the seat end and the tailgate end, so prying eyes can easily see what’s underneath.

It looks like some of the ones on Amazon have a piece that comes down to the floor on the seat end. Kind of wish I had bought one of those.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Unless people break windows and get an angle that way, or unless your rear windows aren't tinted at all...I can't imagine how anyone's going to see under the factory tarp?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Unless people break windows and get an angle that way, or unless your rear windows aren't tinted at all...I can't imagine how anyone's going to see under the factory tarp?
View Quote

I don’t know what to say other than I installed mine and I can look through the windows and can see almost everything under the tarp except a small section in the very center.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok I see what you mean - I had to use a bright flashlight to get through the window tinting but I do see what you mean; the gaps on the sides do let in a good bit of viewing.

I dunno, it's never bothered me that much as the crap I have back there will either be in locked gun cases in the middle or against the tailgate, or it's in other containers/not floating around loose, so all anyone would see is the top of a pelican or tupperwear tub...but, I do see what you're getting at.

You could always just throw a blanket, woobie, some big jackets, etc over whatever's back there. If you wanted to be super slick you could make a wood frame/top, put some carpeting on it, make it level with the rear window, and just stuff everything under that...and if you need more room you can remove it and store it in your garage or something?

Hmm now I'm wondering if there's a better cargo cover; the factory mounts for the cover leave a huge gap between where the roll up cassette is and the rear seats either way
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Shifting gears - I got my dashcam in (Vantrue N4PRo; lots of youtubing around it points out it's one of the few (if any) taking full advantage of it's image processor in HDR mode and can actually reasonably read license plates at night, as well as day - IF you turn off and don't use the cabin or rear cameras, and bump the front cam to max resolution), and I ordered the dongle from Trail Grid Pro that lets it siphon power off the rear view mirror. Question though, for anyone who might know - is that rear view circuit on all the time, or does it only power on with accessory/engine? I'd like to use it's parked functionality; it basically takes a frame every few seconds instead of rolling film, so it keeps at least some sense of awareness...and I'd also like it to kick on whenever any shock event happens when the car's parked.

If it's not, no big deal; none of what I ordered is irreversable, no cutting, etc...it's just a really clean and simple setup and I don't want to have to start running long cables down to a fusebox and start splicing wires in or something to make it run even when the car's parked and the motor's off...
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Had my shop order my Eibach pro truck sport shocks and struts. Install planned for Thursday.

My dilemma is what to do about the rear springs. My current measurements are as taken from my mostly level driveway to the top fender with a full tank of gas:

DF 34.25
DR 35.75
PF 34.5
PR 36.5

I have a two pairs of springs in bound, both Eibach. The current gen spring with 1.5" of lift and the 4th gen that's 1" lift. I really want some rake after it's all done as my 4R hauls a family of four around and I have a third row. I'm just unsure which to go with. I'd like to have the front on the 1.6" perch.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Had my shop order my Eibach pro truck sport shocks and struts. Install planned for Thursday.

My dilemma is what to do about the rear springs. My current measurements are as taken from my mostly level driveway to the top fender with a full tank of gas:

DF 34.25
DR 35.75
PF 34.5
PR 36.5

I have a two pairs of springs in bound, both Eibach. The current gen spring with 1.5" of lift and the 4th gen that's 1" lift. I really want some rake after it's all done as my 4R hauls a family of four around and I have a third row. I'm just unsure which to go with. I'd like to have the front on the 1.6" perch.
View Quote

Is that rear lift measurement with 3rd row seating cause if its just for 5th gens, you’re not gonna get 1.5. I bought the wheelers eibach 1.5 for my sr5 and I don’t even think I got 1.5 with just 2 row seating. My front is 2.5 and its level and I wanted to keep the rear rake. I don’t like it level.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

Is that rear lift measurement with 3rd row seating cause if its just for 5th gens, you’re not gonna get 1.5. I bought the wheelers eibach 1.5 for my sr5 and I don’t even think I got 1.5 with just 2 row seating. My front is 2.5 and its level and I wanted to keep the rear rake. I don’t like it level.
View Quote

I have third row seating. I posted my measurements elsewhere and someone commented that my 4R seems to be running lower than most. I've always thought it was a bit low compared to others.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Any word on whether the 2025 will be built in Japan?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
View Quote

TBD

Speculation is that if it was to be moved elsewhere there would be press around that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:05:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -SkyRaider-] [#29]

TBD

Speculation is that if it was to be moved elsewhere there would be press around that.
View Quote

I hope the 2025 has the V35A-FTS as an option but I realize there's very little chance of that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone familiar with BAM Wholesale Parts?  They sell the TRD Pro wheelset for $1024 on Amazon and only $869 on their website. They claim these are genuine Toyota parts and don't specify if these are take-offs, or blemishes, but the stealership sells them for $1700.  It seems like a "too good to be true" thing.  Are they good to go?

Amazon Product
  • Fits: 2005-Present Tacoma / 07-14 FJ Cruiser / 1999-Present 4Runner /01-05 Sequoia

Bam Wholesaleparts wheel link
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone familiar with BAM Wholesale Parts?  They sell the TRD Pro wheelset for $1024 on Amazon and only $869 on their website. They claim these are genuine Toyota parts and don't specify if these are take-offs, or blemishes, but the stealership sells them for $1700.  It seems like a "too good to be true" thing.  Are they good to go?

www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDNSTDK

View Quote

I just ordered a trd pro wheel for my spare and it was only $235 direct from the Toyota website. Would only be a little bit more for a set to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#32]

www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDNSTDK

View Quote

Bam is gtg genuine OEM.

Check the official Toyota parts website though, usually better prices, free shipping and if you buy from and out of state dealer... no sales tax.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Bam is gtg genuine OEM.

Check the official Toyota parts website though, usually better prices, free shipping and if you buy from and out of state dealer... no sales tax.
View Quote

I checked the Toyota parts website and they are $300 each from the closest dealership being in Butte, MT. That's why I was a little skeptical, the prices send up red flags.  lol  

Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#34]

I checked the Toyota parts website and they are $300 each from the closest dealership being in Butte, MT. That's why I was a little skeptical, the prices send up red flags.  lol  

View Quote

Look out of state. Closer isnt best.

I got my new style TRD pro wheels for under $200 each.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#35]

DF 34.25
DR 35.75
PF 34.5
PR 36.5

View Quote

If in middle TN ever I’ve got a set of toytec 2” coils that pair nicely with 1.5-2” in the front you can have.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Check other dealers
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: laxman09] [#37]

If in middle TN ever I’ve got a set of toytec 2” coils that pair nicely with 1.5-2” in the front you can have.
View Quote

Im super reading challenge

I already ordered everything though my shop unless they are front coils then I might be interested
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Are-O-Be:

Check other dealers
View Quote

I bit the bullet and bought the set directly from BAM. Their shipping was $85, but they didn't charge sales tax, so it came out to $238.80 per wheel, shipped. Not bad at all compared to what the dealers were asking.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I did a dry run, packing for a camping trip and wow is it ever tight with the rear seats up. This is just my large stuff, I still have a tent, clothes, lantern, etc and my canopy would need to go on the roof. Damn, more money spending in my future!
I’ll be shopping for a roof rack that is versatile enough to also haul a mountain bike and kayak. Anyone know of a brand other than Yakima that would work?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I did a dry run, packing for a camping trip and wow is it ever tight with the rear seats up. This is just my large stuff, I still have a tent, clothes, lantern, etc and my canopy would need to go on the roof. Damn, more money spending in my future!
I’ll be shopping for a roof rack that is versatile enough to also haul a mountain bike and kayak. Anyone know of a brand other than Yakima that would work?  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92536/IMG_1857_jpeg-3181530.JPG
View Quote

ARF made.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#41]

ARF made.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

If hes not interested and they are rears, I am if you were willing to ship them. I was going to order some before my trip to georgia in may.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
View Quote

@-SkyRaider-

I saw a video by Automotive Engineer, he seems to have good insider information, and he said there is no activity at the Texas and Mexico plants to gear up production on a new line, a new line that could make 150K vehicles a year, so he is confidant the new 4Runner will be built at the Tahara plant

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#44]

ARF made.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

ARF made.

Do you make these racks @jafrush ?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#46]
There is a used LFD full stainless steel roof rack for sale a few hours from me for a really good price.  How heavy are they and how well do they hold up against corrosion?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#47]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92536/IMG_1857_jpeg-3181530.JPG
View Quote

I bought a Harbor Freight ATV hitch carrier for camping.  Gets the cooler and firewood out of the truck and is high enough to not get hung up on everything.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:55:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jahdai42] [#48]

Check other dealers
View All Quotes

Check other dealers

Buy from Olathe Toyota. they seem to have the best deals.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-trd-17-in-matte-black-alloy-wheel-ptr2035110bk?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

ARF made.

Yes, I run the division.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#50]
There is a used LFD full stainless steel roof rack for sale a few hours from me for a really good price.  How heavy are they and how well do they hold up against corrosion?
View Quote
About 90 pounds with all 10 crossbars. Stainless doesn't rust unless exposed to something like bleach.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top