Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 10/16/2019 7:51:17 AM EDT
We elected to partner with Pete and Frank Brownell because we’ve known them personally for years to be real advocates for both our First and Second Amendment rights. They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com.
View Quote
ARFCom is at a crossroads. It isn’t possible to be both a unfiltered forum for Constitutional rights and simultaneously squash dissent against gun control laws in the name of the CoC.

The Colorado Magazine ban is one of the most widely resisted and disregarded gun control laws of the last 20 years. Including by elected county sheriffs. It is a text book case of how mass non compliance renders a law moot. At least in one instance discussion of non-compliance was warned against by site staff. Is this the future of ARFCom?

Thread in question: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Colorado-magazine-law-/5-2263848/?page=1

ETA: The reality is that within many here’s life time a new Assault Weapon Ban and “high cap” magazine ban is a real political possibility. Will the CoC be used by site staff to stop organized, peaceful protest and resistance against such an eventuality?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I foresee an "answered" and locked or "waste of site resources" and locked in the future.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I foresee an "answered" and locked or "waste of site resources" and locked in the future.
View Quote
If that happens I’ll be leaving the site. A insignificant gesture? Perhaps. But a clear sign that dissent, even within the CoC is not tolerated.

So what’s the fall back position?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
What's peaceful about getting your head bashed in by the Police of Authorization governments because you decided to get uppity by protesting Gun Control?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Whose definition of "unconstitutional" ?

Some guys on a gun forum, or the Supreme Courts ??
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then it would effectively answers his question. And I just renewed
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would be retarded in the extreme.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
IBTL
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then it would effectively answers his question. And I just renewed
View Quote
Agreed; and yep, I just did the same...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]
This is an important question the site staff need to answer imo.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
If we have to wait for the Supreme Court to rule on every piece of anti-gun legislation before we organize peaceful non-compliance protests then we have already lost.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
This question has not been answered. Why does asking it bother you?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Everything is a COC violation
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#14]
????

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m pretty sure rising in armed rebellion against your lawful king is illegal. Unless you win.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Evidently it already is to certain "good people" and that was over magazines.

I can see this playing out.....State X has passed a law requiring the registration of all semi-auto weapons and the destruction of mags over 10 rounds.....The grace period passes and members from State X are commenting about how they did not comply....They are now "law-breakers" and are discussing a "illegal" activity that clearly flys in the face of 2A.

What would "good people" do?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Supreme Court isn’t infallible.  They’ve fucked up a lot, and even occasionally admit it.  They can issue a legal ruling.  That’s it.  Just because 5 judges say something doesn’t mean it’s settled.  If they found a law like banning all semi automatics to be Constitutional does that magically make it moral and in line with the intent of our founders?  No.  It’s simply the opinion of a few fallible individuals.

Understand that the founding fathers wrote our Constitution in plain language.  They did that so the average man could read and understand what it means.  They also left us a shit ton of supporting information in the form of correspondence, leaflets, diaries and publications like the Federalist Papers.   You don’t need a legal degree to decipher the Constitution.  Anyone can read it, look at rulings and see where the Supreme Court was wrong.

Don’t put your faith in judges.  They won’t save us.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you need a bunch of Harvard grads in black robes to tell you what “shall not be infringed” means?

Are your rights granted by .gov?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ummm, the first one...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I can see this playing out.....State X has passed a law requiring the registration of all semi-auto weapons and the destruction of mags over 10 rounds.....The grace period passes and members from State X are commenting about how they did not comply....They are now "law-breakers" and are discussing a "illegal" activity that clearly flys in the face of 2A.

View Quote
If such a scenario were to occur and I don’t think it is fantasy. I would use every single illegal immigration protestor trick to peacefully and non-violently resist and encourage others to resist.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Tagscribed.  Arfcom has been my internet "Home" for over a decade.  I can't even begin to count the number of amazing folks I've met and I don't dare tally up all the money I've spent thanks to this place.  But I do feel that we are fast approaching a crossroads.  This is the time for staff to come out and say either they are prepared to go all the way and resist or to say "Welcome our new Brownells Overloards, any discussion about anything that could possibly offend anyone anywhere will be crushed".
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If we have to wait for the Supreme Court to rule on every piece of anti-gun legislation before we organize peaceful non-compliance protests then we have already lost.
View Quote
If we all comply there will never be that guy who breaks the law and has standing to appeal up to the Supreme Court.

USSC can’t just pick laws out of thin air for judicial review.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If that happens I’ll be leaving the site. A insignificant gesture? Perhaps. But a clear sign that dissent, even within the CoC is not tolerated.

So what’s the fall back position
?
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
^^^^^^^^ - totally agree. democrats/leftists just ignore laws they don't like while for some reason the rest of us are just supposed to sit around and eat shit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tagscribed.  Arfcom has been my internet "Home" for over a decade.  I can't even begin to count the number of amazing folks I've met and I don't dare tally up all the money I've spent thanks to this place.  But I do feel that we are fast approaching a crossroads.  This is the time for staff to come out and say either they are prepared to go all the way and resist or to say "Welcome our new Brownells Overloards, any discussion about anything that could possibly offend anyone anywhere will be crushed".
View Quote
The reason being given by site staff is that the site must be shielded from legal liability. If legal protection is the prime directive then sadly the answer is crystal clear.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Martin Luther King Jr. would have been banned for his encouragement to break the law.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lot of this nonsense would stop if people would just start protesting with their firearms.

The world doesn’t come to an end, you don’t get arrested, and you make your point without having to threaten anyone. I’ve done it at state events, even taking an AR and handgun into the state Capitol building and House of Representatives while they were in session.

Americans have forgotten how to be American.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone should decide if a law is unconstitutional and act accordingly.  The executive and legislative branches outsourcing all thoughts of whether an action is unconstitutional has been incredibly detrimental to our republic.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mostly turn back to Judge Judy or the arena sport of the season with their beer, ice ream & Cheetos.

It is known.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
We see this with MJ laws, go anywhere in Cali and you are good with an OZ, get pulled in TX with .3% THC in your CBD oil and it's prison.

I am pretty sure if I promote MJ use here in ARFCOM I will get a ban, even though it's legal for med use in my state and soon for anyone.

Going to be tough for them to keep track of all the gun laws me thinks. Mods will be dividing by zero soon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Everyone should decide if a law is unconstitutional and act accordingly.  The executive and legislative branches outsourcing all thoughts of whether an action is unconstitutional has been incredibly detrimental to our republic.
View Quote
The selective enforcement and/or interpretation of so many laws (not to mention the corruption), much less of the Constitution itself, has literally ruined any credibility governments once had - if they ever had much anyway.  We were warned about this by many of the founding fathers themselves so none of this should be a surprise.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep.

And it’ll be enforced.

Routinely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Supreme Court has been wrong before.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Supreme Court isn’t infallible.  They’ve fucked up a lot, and even occasionally admit it.  They can issue a legal ruling.  That’s it.  Just because 5 judges say something doesn’t mean it’s settled.  If they found a law like banning all semi automatics to be Constitutional does that magically make it moral and in line with the intent of our founders?  No.  It’s simply the opinion of a few fallible individuals.

Understand that the founding fathers wrote our Constitution in plain language.  They did that so the average man could read and understand what it means.  They also left us a shit ton of supporting information in the form of correspondence, leaflets, diaries and publications like the Federalist Papers.   You don’t need a legal degree to decipher the Constitution.  Anyone can read it, look at rulings and see where the Supreme Court was wrong.

View Quote
This right here is the truth!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
This right here is the truth!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We elected to partner with Pete and Frank Brownell because we’ve known them personally for years to be real advocates for both our First and Second Amendment rights. They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com.
View Quote
ARFCom is at a crossroads. It isn’t possible to be both a unfiltered forum for Constitutional rights and simultaneously squash dissent against gun control laws in the name of the CoC.

The Colorado Magazine ban is one of the most widely resisted and disregarded gun control laws of the last 20 years. Including by elected county sheriffs. It is a text book case of how mass non compliance renders a law moot. At least in one instance discussion of non-compliance was warned against by site staff. Is this the future of ARFCom?

Thread in question: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Colorado-magazine-law-/5-2263848/?page=1

ETA: The reality is that within many here’s life time a new Assault Weapon Ban and “high cap” magazine ban is a real political possibility. Will the CoC be used by site staff to stop organized, peaceful protest and resistance against such an eventuality?
View Quote
Short answer? Yes. Can't have us mouth breathers messing up the cash flow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I am in to see where this goes.  In the past they have said that they didn’t want the hosting website to knock them for “illegal activities”
I wonder what the site would look like if they found a hosting service that welcomed free speech?  Also brownells ain’t gonna let them have that discussion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Keep their yappers shut (loose lips sink ships) and prepare locally, accordingly, and off the web.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#41]
We have a duty to resist these stupid fucking laws. I especially do not understand mocking these statist STATE laws. If I am in Missouri then I should be able to say whatever I want about Colorado or California. ARF should be leading the resistance the opposite direction they are going - not in spite of agencies monitoring this site but BECAUSE of it. These bootlicker "following orders" types need to know what road they are going down.

I say resist loud and proud just like those LGBTQABC fuckers. Worked just fine for them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We have a duty to resist these stupid fucking laws. I especially do not understand mocking these statist STATE laws. If I am in Missouri then I should be able to say whatever I want about Colorado or California. ARF should be leading the resistance the opposite direction they are going - not in spite of agencies monitoring this site but BECAUSE of it. These bootlicker "following orders" types need to know what road they are going down.

I say resist loud and proud just like those LGBTQABC fuckers. Worked just fine for them.
View Quote
That’s just it. Paul alluded to the ideal that the site must be shielded from legal liability. That ideal is largely incompatible with any kind of peaceful civil disobedience or the discussion thereof.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Bend down and lick your masters boot.

I suppose you are trying to get this locked?
View Quote
Likely.

And your question is perfectly valid in light of recent thread locks.

I'm waiting for the official response also.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Likely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bend down and lick your masters boot.

I suppose you are trying to get this locked?
Likely.

If this thread is locked or shut down we will have our answer I suppose. I hope that isn’t the case.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Preach it brother! PREACH IT!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I used to belong to a music forum--Harmonycentral.com or something like that.

Maybe the largest online musician forum at the time.

One day, they changed the forum format (think, arfcom to DU format, but not quite as drastic). Eta: the changes were implemented after a national music store partnered with site owners.

The members raised hell over it, begging the mods/admin/staff/owners to change it back (or at least to a more similar format.)

The members were ignored.

The site absolutely died in a matter of weeks.

Eta proof (and the reasons included moderation changes and censorship):

How changes to the way a popular forum was moderated killed it overnight

I wonder what's going to happen here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#47]
We need an answer to this question.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The reason being given by site staff is that the site must be shielded from legal liability. If legal protection is the prime directive then sadly the answer is crystal clear.
View Quote
If that's the case they better just shutter the site and nuke the servers. If some nutcase goes off and claims ar15.com as his inspiration the admin/owners are fools if they think that the media isn't going to come in and buy a platinum membership and start tearing apart the archives looking for 2-3 screengrabs.

Monitoring the shit out of the site won't fix that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So what’s the fall back position?
View Quote
John has a long mustache.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If we all comply there will never be that guy who breaks the law and has standing to appeal up to the Supreme Court.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is an excellent point. There needs to be that test case for a Supreme Court challenge to even be made in the first place.

Under the strictest interpretation of the CoC discussing such an act would be verboten.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top