Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2001 1:05:36 AM EDT
Anyone ever had problems returning firearms to gunshop before? Let say you changed your mind about the gun and wanted something else?
Also If you bought a rifle and had to wait 24 hours to pick it up but you already paid in full, but then you decided you don't want it.  Can you cancel the sale and get your refund even though the Reciet stated all gun sales final, no return or exchanges.
Does the shop usually refund your money anyways or they go by you pay for it so too bad you can't return it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Also if you had paid by credit card would that be easier if the gun shop refund your money or if you had paid in cash they most likely won't refund your purchase?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't help ya man, I've never changed my mind. How about, keep what you got and save for another. Wish I could help.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It normally depends on the shop and how well you get along with the owner/manager.

There used to be a Pawnshop nearby my house and I used to test fire everygun I bought. If it did not shoot right the owner will let me pick another one.

It also helps if you buy a lot of stuff there too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
My local shops do not accept returns. If you have a gun on "layaway" and decide you dont want itbefore its fully paid off you either put the money paid towards another gun or they keep 20% restocking fee.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I have returned not one, but two guns to a shop before.  Of course, they were both defective pieces of crapola...  Rossi 971 revolvers, and both of them started jamming (yes, a revolver JAMMING!!!) after you got it a little dirty (100 rounds or so).  But if you want to return guns you are bored with, or something like that, I'd talk it over, but don't plan to get far.  

The problem with this industry is that we don't have gun shops that believe that the customer is most important thing.  I've heard of people being thrown out of shops for asking simple questions before they buy their first gun, and other similar stories.  Hope that you get the manager or owner in a good mood, and just ask.  You can't say as though you didn't try.  Be very polite, apologetic, and offer to spend the money right there on something else.  If the gun is unfired, or still with the dealer (for waiting period, etc), you may have a chance.  Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#6]
If its a pistol-
Here in NY it would be very difficult if not impossible to return a gun without at least monetary loss.  Maybe if you were a really good customer and very, very freindly with the store owner something might be worked out.

The reason is the registration process.  In NY I cannot take possession of a weapon until it is registered on my permit.  I need a receipt that states the pistol has been paid for IN FULL, as well as, the usual informational paperwork.  I have to take this paperwork to the pistol department and have it attached to my permit.  Then I can go back to the store and get my gun.   Once the pistol is registered in my name the store MUST sell it as a used gun should I change my mind.  Even if I never laid hands on the weapon let alone removed it from the store!

My local FFL has a new untouched Glock 19 that he is selling for $75 less because it was registered and then the sale fell through. I would imagine the original customer is responsible for that $75.

If its a rifle-
 I think you might be able to work something out.  Depending on your relationship with the store.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#7]
VegaXK8 - you remind me of one of my reoccurring nightmares
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
What is a matter with the rifle?

Did you just change your mind about it,
or is something " wrong " with it?

Give me this info{it would help to know full story} and I will tell you about how I have handled my returns.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
when i had to return my Win 1300 when the dang thing did a spontanius disasemble (was shooting it and the next they i know im holing the slide part in one and and the reciever in the other) they just sent it back to winchester no prob  i guess it depends on why your returning it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top