Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2019 8:12:53 PM EDT
Black vultures are roosting in Kentucky and eating animals alive

They'll devour slimy newborn calves, full-grown ewes and lambs alive by pecking them to death.

First the eyes, then the tongue, then every last shred of flesh.

And there isn't much defense against black vultures and turkey vultures, both of which are federally protected and cannot be killed without a permit.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 covers all migratory birds, their nests and their eggs, which means that the birds can't be harmed without federal permission. Their nests can only be disrupted, as a deterrent, if there are no eggs or young in them.

But as the vultures, which are native to Kentucky, have multiplied in numbers nationally over the last two decades, they have become more of a problem for farmers. Each year, Kentucky farmers lose around $300,000 to $500,000 worth of livestock to these native vultures, according to Joe Cain, commodity division director for the Kentucky Farm Bureau.

It's not just farm animals. Small pets may be at risk too.

The birds can be valuable contributors to the ecosystem, disposing cleanly of animal carcasses. But their increased numbers have made them more desperate for food in other forms — even alive.

"With a vulture, it's like someone came in with a skinning knife," said Derek Lawson, the head herdsman for the 1300-acre biodynamic Foxhollow Farm in Oldham County. "It's all clean cuts. Usually, the hide's completely cut off, whereas with a coyote or dogs, it'll be torn and jagged."

People may see the birds more often on the side of the road, pecking at rotting roadkill. They're easy to identify.

Black vultures have gray heads and hold their 5-foot wings in a horizontal position when in flight, according to the University of Kentucky Department of Forestry and Natural Resources. Turkey vultures, on the other hand, are true to their name with bright red heads and a V-shaped in-flight profile.

Black vultures have historically been the most aggressive of the two and are more likely to feed on live animals.

These vultures normally migrate from northern South America, through Texas and along the southeastern section of the U.S. to Pennsylvania.

Warmer winters may have increased the number of vultures in the U.S., said Wayne Long, the Jefferson County extension agent for the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture, Food and Environment. Vultures, he said, take advantage of climate change and hang around more in a spot they like.

< snip >
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
SSS
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't be killed without a permit.  *snort
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like vermin that needs killin
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It sure would suck if those vultures accidentally ate some poisoned meat
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, but if one is swooping from the sky to get my dog... it's getting shot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Just another reason why we need to withdraw from that treaty and declare war.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So, came down here for a visit, did ya, and had the car-alarm snacked up? Ain't news to those of down here. Nasty MFers'...
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was looking at houses many years ago.   I went to look at a house and Turkey Vultures had been roosting in a tree in the back yard.   The house didn't appeal to me that much but I saw that and said f that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m starting to see them everywhere. Turkey vultures would always let you know when a calf drops because they patiently wait on the placenta with no interest in the the calf, or at least one they would act on. The black bastards are vicious.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like vermin that needs killin
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#14]
They're pretty easy to trap. So I've been told. A guy could probably even use the same trap that he caught hogs in the night before and humanely euthanized early that morning. Just speculating, of course.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SSS
View Quote
You need a suppressor.... and discretion.

S(suppressed)SS
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]
They are much more common here in MD than they used to be. And not as timid either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Their presence in the county I reside in has massively increased in the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Liberals will protect their fellow vultures to the death.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Feds prosecute this nonsense pretty aggressively. I've noticed more buzzards around here lately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Feds prosecute this nonsense pretty aggressively. I've noticed more buzzards around here lately.
I was riding with a Federal Game Warden(Refuge Officer) on one of their properties open to the public for fishing.  Enroute to check some fisherman when we spotted an obviously run over water moccasin rolling around in the road.  He got out and filmed/took pictures of the snake and continued on.  We got to the fishing area and there was only one vehicle there with two guys still setting up their fishing gear.  Warden asked if they saw that snake in the road and the guy who had been driving proudly said, “Hell yes I did! He’s a good snake now after I ran his ass over”.   Think that citation wound up costing him $200
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Wish I could find a .gif of that officer capping the head of the vulture eating a GI in "Patton" at the aftermath of the Kasserine Pass.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
GIVE ME BACK MY BIG PANTS.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SSS
View Quote
+1

Actually just shoot and shut up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was riding with a Federal Game Warden(Refuge Officer) on one of their properties open to the public for fishing.  Enroute to check some fisherman when we spotted an obviously run over water moccasin rolling around in the road.  He got out and filmed/took pictures of the snake and continued on.  We got to the fishing area and there was only one vehicle there with two guys still setting up their fishing gear.  Warden asked if they saw that snake in the road and the guy who had been driving proudly said, “Hell yes I did! He’s a good snake now after I ran his ass over”.   Think that citation wound up costing him $200
View Quote
GOOD run over. dickheaded ticket. FUCK watermocs., preferably with a 12 Ga. (what happened to the *flip off* emoji? New site owners remove it?)
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Liberals will protect their National Bird to the death.
View Quote
Fixed for you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#25]
This isn't a new problem or specific to Kentucky. Ask most ranchers and they've probably had issues with buzzards.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Bait and shoot
Dispose
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Something trump should fix. If they are threatening livestock they can be shot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Fixed for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Liberals will protect their National Bird to the death.
Fixed for you.
Lol.  Good one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
GOOD run over. dickheaded ticket. FUCK watermocs., preferably with a 12 Ga. (what happened to the *flip off* emoji? New site owners remove it?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well when you purposely kill an animal in the middle of a wildlife refuge and then brag about to a game warden who specifically asked about
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought this was going to be a dupe thread about the guy that got shot (murdered) on his motorcycle and robbed.
Carry on
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Boat load of them around here.

I sometimes feed them a skunk, possum or coon.

They also clean up all the road kill around here.

If they started screwing around with any of our critters, they would have to go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, the lesser charge here would be admitting to the "offense". LYING to a State/ FED type probably doesn't end very well. I still stand by my statement.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#33]
If they are attacking livestock then you can kill them
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They are much more common here in MD than they used to be. And not as timid either.
View Quote
This is a fact, and it is because of all the roadkill caused by massive urban development.

From the carcasses I see rotting away over weeks, I would also say that the lack of carcass removal by county governments also has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take the penguin seriously. They do not fuck around when it comes to migratory birds. I know someone that got caught destroying pelican nests and it ended up costing him well north of $20k and months of sleepless nights as things dragged out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
That's it I demand we bring back DDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’d have to believe this to be true.  I pretty sure that if a wolf (also protected) or mountain lion (protect in most areas) are attacking and eating your livestock you can you can shoot them.  Granted, I’m not a rancher, but I don’t think I’d hesitate to shoot a buzzard eating my calves ...
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Their presence in the county I reside in has massively increased in the last 30 years.
View Quote
Same.  Used to be rare to see one 30yrs ago where I grew up on the east coast.  Now I see them every morning perched on the street lights.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#39]
This shit head spent about 15 minutes checking out my decoys...I REALLY wanted to send 3.5" of BB his direction, but restrained myself .  It was VERY rare that I would see them growing up...Now I see them almost everyday

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]
You really need a depredation permit if you're going to control them. Especially if you're prone to talking (or typing) too much.

https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This shit head spent about 15 minutes checking out my decoys...I REALLY wanted to send 3.5" of BB his direction, but restrained myself .  It was VERY rare that I would see them growing up...Now I see them almost everyday

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331964/20180903_083120-784x1613_jpg-999987.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331964/20180903_083459-784x1613_jpg-999991.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331964/20180903_074146-1612x784_jpg-999992.JPG
View Quote
What's with the chain link fence in the background? Hunting Pedos? if so, carry on...........
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You really need a depredation permit if you're going to control them. Especially if you're prone to talking (or typing) too much.

https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf
View Quote
Does this cover Starlings? Asking for a farmer...
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Show me the law that overrides the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show me the law where killing predatory animals in regard to livestock exempts migratory birds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I dont give a fuck. I'll kill them left and right if they are attacking my livestock.  Same goes for any other "protected" animal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#46]
So they're democrats?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Federal Register Link
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just another reason why we need to withdraw from that treaty and declare war.
View Quote
Awesome.  F*ck those birds (and ravens of which there is no shortage).
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal Register Link
That'll do, pig. That'll do.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Show me the law where killing predatory animals in regard to livestock exempts migratory birds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
State law doesn’t supersede Federal law
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top