Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Which one?  We have several of them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Eric,
I just heard and couldn't find his name.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys are late..[b]Arock[/b] broke the story first! Who let him out of the loony bin?

[url]http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001473[/url]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding.....and about time. He has been a Democrat in name only for a long,long time. We here in his district affectionately call him Blue Form Ralph. He will almost always respond to any mailer, letter, e-mail with a form letter printed in blue ink. At least he bothers to respond. I would on occasions get something from Phil Graham and have [B]never[/B] received anything from Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

More info here:

Congressman Switches From Democrat to GOP

Friday, January 02, 2004

WASHINGTON  — Texas Rep. Ralph Hall (search) switched parties Friday night, filing for re-election as a Republican after nearly a quarter-century as one of the most conservative Democrats in Congress.

"I've always said that if being a Democrat hurt my district I would switch or I would resign," Hall said in an interview with The Associated Press. He said GOP leaders had recently refused to place money for his district in a spending bill and "the only reason I was given was I was a Democrat."

In an interview in which he said he had filed to run as a Republican, he also said he didn't agree with "all these guys running against the president."

Hall's switch follows a GOP-led drive — bitterly contested by Democrats — to remake Texas' congressional districts more to their liking. Party strategists contend they can gain five or more seats through a mid-decade redistricting, a change that could greatly strengthen their grip on power in the House.

Before Hall's move, the House had 228 Republicans, 205 Democrats, 1 Democrat-leaning independent and 1 vacancy.

In addition to representing a personal change, Hall's defection had historic overtones. His district in Texas includes territory once represented in Congress by the late Sam Rayburn, who served as a Democratic speaker for much of the time between 1940 and 1961.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert (search), R-Ill., said he looked forward to working with Hall in the majority party.

"Ralph is a man of courage and a man of great conviction," Hastert said. "Common sense continues to guide him in Washington and now in the Republican Party."

Fellow Texan Tom DeLay (search), the House majority leader, called Hall on Friday to welcome him to the party.

"Democrats are reaping what they've sown," DeLay said. "Their leaders have lined up behind Howard Dean's brand of angry, intolerant politics. They've made their message clear: 'moderates need not apply' and that's a sad trend for a once-great party."

President Bush also praised Hall.

"I welcome Congressman Ralph Hall to the Republican Party," Bush said. "Ralph is a close friend of the Bush family. He is a well-respected leader of the highest integrity, and a tireless advocate for the people of Texas."

Rep. Martin Frost (search), Texas' most senior Democrat, declined comment late Friday.

Republican sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Hall privately relayed word of his intentions to White House officials and other senior GOP officials earlier in the day.

Hall, 80, was first elected to the House in 1980.

Hall has long been among the most conservative Democrats in Congress. Speculation that he might switch parties first surfaced in 1995, when the GOP gained control of the House for the first time in 40 years.

He said then he wouldn't, arguing that it would be better to try and move the Democratic party toward the middle.

Hall's sons, one a Texas judge and the other a lawyer, had been considered possible candidates for their father's congressional seats if Hall resigned. Hall said Friday his party switch would make it easier for his sons to run should he eventually resign, but he added, "Neither of my sons seems interested in coming to Congress."

Democrats have sued to block the new redistricting plan, arguing it violates minority rights. The Justice Department has approved the plan, and a court ruling on its legality is expected shortly.

Texas Republican Party (search) spokesman Ted Royer said Hall was the 174th elected Texas Democrat to join the Republican Party since 1992.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of good this will do. The dude is 80!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Many of the national Dems are following the liberal lead of CAlif Dems, they are becoming way too liberal for their constitutents hence causing some of them to switch parites.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bet DUh is loving it...  [:D]
View Quote

Yeah, just what are the DUmmy's saying about it?

By the way, as Arock came out with this news first, this means we have to be nice to him for a couple of days.
Or until he screws up again.  Which ever comes first.
And that means that any jokes about him and Wacko Jackos "Petting Zoo" are hereby put on hold until further notice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many of the national Dems are following the liberal lead of CAlif Dems, they are becoming way too liberal for their constitutents hence causing some of them to switch parites.
View Quote
Unfortunately, this pulls the Republican center farther to the left.

We just need some good Libertarian or Constitution party guys taking up say ... 67 seats in the Senate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool.  Makes up for that ass Jeffords.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really...I only wish it did.

Jeffords was one of 100.  His move COMPLETELY changed the dynamics of the senate, since the Republicans LOST the majority that they had just assumed by the election by the People.  Jumpin' Jim decided that his personal liberal ethics were more important than the will of the people and became an "independent"...RIGHT!  He often voted with the Dem caucus anyway...but by delaring himself to no longer be a Republican, he helped the Dems and President Chickenshit Clinton immeasurably.  I can't tell you how happy I was to see the Republicans win by a nice margin in the 2000 election...thus negating that traitorous bastard's actions.  He doesn't LIKE being in the minorty either...he lost his sweet committee chair that the Dem had promised him if he jumped.  TFB too...
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really...I only wish it did.

Jeffords was one of 100.  His move COMPLETELY changed the dynamics of the senate, since the Republicans LOST the majority that they had [red]just[/red] assumed by the election by the People.
View Quote

Actually, the Republicans gained control of the senate 6 1/2 years before Jeffords came out of the closet and switched parties.
Jumpin' Jim decided that his personal liberal ethics were more important than the will of the people and became an "independent"...RIGHT!  He often voted with the Dem caucus anyway...but by delaring himself to no longer be a Republican, he helped the Dems and [red]President Chickenshit Clinton[/red] immeasurably.
View Quote

Actually, Jeffords made the switch in 2001, after Bush won the election over Al Gore in fall of 2000 and had been in office for some five months or so. Clinton was no longer in the White House.
I can't tell you how happy I was to see the Republicans win by a nice margin in the 2000 election...thus negating that traitorous bastard's actions.
View Quote

See above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top