Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 6:01:27 PM EDT
We have some real nice crystal wine glasses and the wife for some reason washed them in the freakin' dishwasher. Now they have those disgusting stains on them. How can I get them clean? Does your significant other do stupid shit like this? The only reason I can come up with why she does this is that she is lazy. I mean I only takes a few minutes to wash a couple of glasses. WTF? I've tried the vinegar treatment with no results. What do you all suggest? Thanks.
AB
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably mineral ("hard water") stains.  Try a web search on "removing hard water stains"; lots of info.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Vinegar works with the water up here to get rid of stains. I can't say what works with the water where you are- try baking soda?

She probably put the glasses in the dishwasher because she is f%$*ing sick of doing the G&%$*# dishes.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
CLR, then wash with dish soap.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said [;)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhhhh...being as this is AR15.com, didn't you mean to type in CLP? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Be careful about using CLP on crystal glasses, it can cause them to jam in dusty conditions.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's not dishwasher safe, I don't buy it.  Everything we have that's not was either a wedding present or hers before we got married.  I'm not really that lazy, I just hate having to remember what's safe and what's not.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
WAIT! there are two different kinds of "white staining" on glasses. One is hardwater/detergent stains... easy to get off... mild soap and a sponge. sometimes you have to use the 'scrubby' side of the sponge.... BUT GENTLY!

Second is "etching"  the detergent is too abrasive and scratches the glasses. If thats the case... you are screwed.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
HARD HYDROCHLORIC ACID!!! It basically an accelerated vinager- if the residue on the glasses is calcium carbonate, it'll be gone in a second.  But please, please, remember to wash it all out..... [}:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only reason I can come up with why she does this is that she is lazy.  What do you all suggest? Thanks.
AB
View Quote

Punch her in the kidney's, after she pisses blood for a couple of days and can walk again your house will be spotless for the rest of your marriage......depending upon how long it lasts after that..hehehehehhehhehee
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe you could get a new dishwasher that has a drying cycle?  Try for a mid-20's blonde if you do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Whoops!  Thought this was ARFCOM, looks like I got Metrosexual Central instead!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Try some vinegar..
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#14]
This does not necessarily mean she is lazy; maybe she just doesn't know better.

Try vinegar - 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.  If this does not work add a little salt (dissolved) to the solution.  Or try baking soda.  She should have put vinegar in the dishwasher to have prevented this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Bow-flauge ought to make those stains disappear.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Be careful about using CLP on crystal glasses, it can cause them to jam in dusty conditions.  

GunLvr
View Quote

Thank you. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#18]
If it is hard water stains buy a box of "water softener". Pour it in a sink of water and rewash. I think they sell it in the laundry area.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whoops!  Thought this was ARFCOM, looks like I got Metrosexual Central instead!
View Quote

[lol]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been to really big, high quality antique shows where a guy rents a booth and polishes/fixes glass and crystal.  Mostly removing chips from edges, but I bet this type of guy could help.  Look up crystal repair in the yellow pages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top