Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 12:08:39 AM EDT

What's most healthy for a computer, is it better when I go off to work for the day?
I want my PC to last as long as possible and maybe you guys can help me out with the answer to this.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally leave my computer on all the time because I know that I have the proper ventilation and heat dissipation on my machine. Heat is the #1 enemy of computers. If you leave your computer on all the time  and do not have proper ventilation and heat dissipation then you are asking for trouble.  I do however shut down once a week just so it will reset.
Also, During the summer months when we have some really severe lightning storms I'll turn off & unplug when not using even though I have some serious surge protection.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Do your lightbulbs fail when you are using them or when you turn them off and then on they go poof.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do your lightbulbs fail when you are using them or when you turn them off and then on they go poof.
View Quote

Your comparing a high tech machine to a light bulb?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends, if I'm going to lunch, I power-off the monitor, when I leave for the day, I always power-off all electronic equipment. It is a waste of electricity. Your computer will be obsolete, before it dies.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I poweroff when Im not using my system.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Question-"You are comparing a high tech machine to a light bulb?"
Answer-Pretty much, at least I always heard/read that the spike when starting up does more damage than leaving it on all day.

Any computer super geeks out there care to tackle this one?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Leave it on...It's really a non-issue.  As long as you do regular system maintanance (i.e. defrag and such) you're computer will remain at optimun performance.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
fully power off or hibernate.  The bad things that can happen accidently or on purpose to the machine when you aren't there added to the power savings far out weigh the slight benefits (if any)from leaving it on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a room full of servers that have not been off for years...  well, except for the August power failure.

The biggest stress on electronic circuit boards is during power up and down.  

That's at work.  At home I power my PCs up when I want to use them.

Personal preference.  They are made to bounce!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I power off - only when I am sleeping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top