Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 9:56:37 PM EDT
Ok, folks I need some advice. In 9 months the AWB will either sunset and go away, get renewed or possibly get renewed with stricter provisions. I of course want this thing to go away, but regardless of the outcome, how should it effect my firearm purchases in the next 9 months?

Here's what I'm thinking in the event that the ban sunsets...Pre-ban prices plummet, post-ban prices rise a bit and accessories like collapsible stocks and uppers with bayo lugs and flash hiders get considerably more expensive.

So, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a post lower, a pre upper and a M4 stock this month and then assembling them in September. Of course if the ban goes away I'm good to go, but if it doesn't, then I'll get the dremel tool out for the bayo lug and have a muzzle break permanently attached.

So where should I spend my money? In regard to all "assult weapons" should I buy post and make alterations later, or invest in preban so I'm set no matter what? Should I try and purchase as many "assualt weapons" as I can before September?

Will hi-cap magazines go up or down in price? What about ammo prices?

I know most will say, "buy 'em all", but I want to be wise about it.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Scooter1942...
I of course want this thing to go away...
View Quote

So... what are you doing to ensure that your wants become reality???
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Sick-um [b]NYPatriot[/b]![:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
supply and demand.  

Post ban= not a whole gun thus nobody wants them= price goes down.

The post ban will be the cheapest semi out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Standard cap mag prices will plummet. The day after the ban expires they'll ship a zillion LE and military mags. It might be worthwhile to pick up a weapon that becomes more interesting when you can have a standard cap mag in it, like the Berreta Storm, or the large frame Glocks.

M4geries will become wildly popular. I'll probably order a preban upper a month or two beforehand if the outlook is positive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm waiting till summer to figure out what I might do, I been too busy picking up 1911's
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
No free rides... [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203989]The Essential "End the AW Ban" Contact List & Sample Letter Thread[/url]... and no excuses!

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have sent my e-mails and made my calls. And I will do it again this coming year.

I am going to play it safe and have all the receivers and parts I can get my hands on before the ban sunsets (or not).
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Im surprised NYPatriot doesnt have more help. Jesus guys, this is like the 15 billionth "what are ya gonna do when the AWB ban ends?" thread in the last few days.

Scooter, fact is, we arent there yet, and you need to call and write your representatives to help ensure it does "end". I have.....and will....
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im surprised NYPatriot doesnt have more help. Jesus guys, this is like the 15 billionth "what are ya gonna do when the AWB ban ends?" thread in the last few days.

Scooter, fact is, we arent there yet, and you need to call and write your representatives to help ensure it does "end". I have.....and will....
View Quote

I think [b]NYPatriot[/b] does a damn good job. Out of 1966 posts, I would be willing to bet that 1500 of those posts go right to this topic.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
How much will prices on complete PREBAN weapons drop?  

25%?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait till it is only a month or two away.
Every other post.  I love to talk about about it though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Will your $1400 rifle be worth $600 in September?  Im willing to give you $800 for it now. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
NYPatriot: What have I done???? Aside from e-mailing my reps and senators...I visited one of them in D.C. last January. Being a Texas boy, he of course had an NRA plaque over his desk. Furthermore, on parent-teacher night (I'm a school teacher) I expressed my concerns to a father, who also happens to be congressman.  And, I plan to remind everyone again around July.

I am a little concerned about by preban stuff crashing, but I purchased my two pre-ban items for next to nothing, so I don't think I'll come out upside down.

Do you think most of the manufacturers will simply do away with post ban fixes such as pinning stocks and removing bayo lugs? Seems to be a bit of a waste to continue manufacturing/altering seperate models?

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait till it is only a month or two away.
Every other post.  I love to talk about about it though.
View Quote

Yup, it will be to us, what the night before Christmas is to a kid, I dont think any of us will get any sleep........
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
AZ-K9: This thread has more to do with...what am I going to do BEFORE September, regardless of the outcome.

Buy Preban?
Buy Post?
Buy as much as possible?
Don't be in a hurry--wait & see?
Buy Mags?
Buy Preban Access.?
Buy Ammo?

I've talked to one "expert" who claims that if the ban expires, post ban prices will climb to near pre prices. Economically, how and why would that happen?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AZ-K9: This thread has more to do with...what am I going to do BEFORE September, regardless of the outcome.

Buy Preban?
Buy Post?
Buy as much as possible?
Buy Mags?
Buy Preban Access.?
Buy Ammo?

I've talked to one "expert" who claims that if the ban expires, post ban prices will climb to near pre prices. Economically, how and why would that happen?
View Quote

He is wrong.
Think about it.
If you could buy a rifle like it is suppose to look or the current AR franken rifle which would you choose?  ....Exactly.
And what happens the the price of things that don't sell?  

And I'm not talking about the $50 rifle the local pawnshop has had on the shelf for $400 since 1982.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
ar10er...
I think NYPatriot does a damn good job. Out of 1966 posts, I would be willing to bet that 1500 of those posts go right to this topic.
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words, friend!  While your numbers may be a little off, I do endeavor to hold up my end in this struggle of ours. To be honest however, I [i]would[/i] appreciate a little help in convincing the newbies that freedom ain't free, and that this "black rifle thing" we do is more than just a hobby or pass time.

[i]I would really hate to come across like a "one note Charlie", not to mention that a unified front is MUCH more effective than a lone voice in the cyber- wilderness![/i]

The way I see it, the next 9 months is where the rubber meets the road. It's where we find out who is willing to sacrifice a little time, $$$, and effort for the restoration of their basic freedoms, and who among us are lazy, apathetic SOBs', willing to let others carry their water for them!

I would love nothing more than to look back at 2004 & say "[b]we all pulled together & did it!!![/b]"        
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Buy Preban?
Buy Post?
Buy as much as possible?
Buy Mags?
Buy Preban Access.?
Buy Ammo?

View Quote

I have a genuine, pre-ban, NIB, Eagle carbine, if you want one bad enough.[;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ar10er...
I think NYPatriot does a damn good job. Out of 1966 posts, I would be willing to bet that 1500 of those posts go right to this topic.
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words, friend!  While your numbers may be a little off, I do endeavor to hold up my end in this struggle of ours. To be honest however, I [i]would[/i] appreciate a little help in convincing the newbies that freedom ain't free, and that this "black rifle thing" we do is more than just a hobby or pass time.

[i]I would really hate to come across like a "one note Charlie", not to mention that a unified front is MUCH more effective than a lone voice in the cyber- wilderness![/i]

The way I see it, the next 9 months is where the rubber meets the road. It's where we find out who is willing to sacrifice a little time, $$$, and effort for the restoration of their basic freedoms, and who among us are lazy, apathetic SOBs', willing to let others carry their water for them!

I would love nothing more than to look back at 2004 & say "we all pulled together & did it!!!"        
View Quote

I am backing you up. When I notice these posts, I always try to BTT them. As far as all of the foot work, well, you have it covered in spades! And for that, I think most of us in the know here, thank you.

If you have read any of my posts from the "old days", you would know that I do not think we will win many of these "soft" fights, but, at least we will be able to tell our posterior we tried.

I still think we will be forced to resort to using the 2nd......
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Scooter1942, I'm glad to hear that you are on top of things & the in-person visits are a [b]real nice[/b] touch, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that in any effort to influence our elected Reps., "snail mail" still reigns supreme!

Good old typed and hand signed letters sent via first class mail make Congresscritters take notice of your opinion because they understand that a letter takes time and trouble to compose. They realize that if you are passionate enough about an issue to take the time away from your family and career to write them, you are damn sure going to show up on Election Day to help vote them out of office if they don't do what you want!    

To this end, allow me to direct you to... [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203989]The Essential "End the AW Ban" Contact List & Sample Letter Thread[/url]

[i]***Notice I didn’t recommend sending E-mails... many of them are deleted unread &/or ignored by Congressional staff members.***[/i]

Hope this helps.

NYP

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#21]
NYPatriot: I appreciate that your keeping this issue and the necessary activism at the forefront of everyone's mind.

I agree that writing a letter adds a nice personal touch that implies more effort and time, however in many congressional offices email is the most effective means of communicating.  A young alumnus from my place of employment is a congressional aide for Pete Sessions (R) Texas. In a question and answer session with some of my students, he suggested that email correspondence was by far the most effecient means of communicating and that the office typically responds to email correspondence more regularly than snail mail. Due to security concerns, (Anthrax and the like) snail mail just does not get to congressional offices in a timely manner. Of course, keep in mind that congressmen have a staff whose job it is to answer letters and it is rare that the congressman ever sees them. I can say however, that every e-mail I sent elicited a response via snail mail. Furthermore, email correspondence is compact, and if you've ever been to a congressional office you'll understand that there's no space for stacks of letters. Yes, they could always delete your email, but they could just as easily throw away your letter.

The bottom line however, is to communicate with these people by whatever means appropriate. I do believe many of them keep a running tally of opinions on an issue. Email allows them to drop that correspondence (for or against) in a folder and allow the computer to keep count until a vote is cast.

I certainly plan to keep up the fight.

I still don't know what I should buy this weekend at the Market Hall Gun show. Maybe one of each...no wait, I'm a school teacher I can't afford that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Buying all the preban imports I can lay my hands on.

Lotta folks selling HK91s, etc. cheap because the ban is going away soon. [rolleyes]

Also snapping up a few more imported mags for the same reason. Even after a sunset with no renewal HK91/93/94, AUG and FAL magazines aren't gonna get any cheaper. They are as cheap as they are gonna get.
View Quote

How is the volume on new self loaders right now though?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top