Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 7:54:46 AM EDT
www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/12/29/009.html

2003 will primarily be remembered for the war in Iraq, the fall of Baghdad and the capture of Saddam Hussein. The U.S.-led invasion was strongly opposed by millions of Europeans and by former great powers France, Germany and Russia. But they protested in vain.
<snip>
It (The Cold War) was a time of frustrating tug-of-war conflicts in which clear and decisive victories were unachievable despite all the carnage. The 2003 campaign in Iraq, on the contrary, was a breath of fresh air for military history buffs -- almost like a return to Napoleonic times with the addition of modern military gear. This was a war that indeed achieved its goal of total enemy defeat and conquest.

What a breath of fresh air.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#1]
...former great powers France, Germany and Russia.
View Quote

[nuts]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...former great powers France, Germany and Russia.
View Quote

[nuts]
View Quote

I got a kick out of that too.  You can blame them in part, but the total blame lies in the EU.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
[DU Moron]Hey when did the Washington Times buy the Moscow Times?[/DU Moron]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]This was a war that indeed achieved its goal of total enemy defeat and conquest.[/b]

I kind of think of the 2003 Iraq War as the [i]Forever Blitzkrieg[/i].
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[b]This was a war that indeed achieved its goal of total enemy defeat and conquest.[/b]

I kind of think of the 2003 Iraq War as the [i]Forever Blitzkrieg[/i].
View Quote

I kind of think of you as a non sequitur wrapped in an inanity.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
This should be good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#7]
[LOL]

I laugh every time [b]RikWiter[/b] posts. [^]

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[LOL]

View Quote

I actually had to dig out a dictionary to find out what the heck a non-sequitur is!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[LOL]

View Quote

I actually had to dig out a dictionary to find out what the heck a non-sequitur is!
View Quote

Literally: does not follow. In real life: Huh? What the...? How the hell did you come from /those/ facts to /your/ conclusions? I don't get it.

I just know RikWriter likes me [img]http://www.generaldiscussion.com/html/emoticons/wub.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Kar's right, to a point...

If you're going to look for a 'historical pattern' of operations that PGWII followed, Blitzkrieg's it...

Simultanious air & ground assault, heavy use of armor & maneuver, use of paratroopers (and now airmobile units, since we have helos) to attack 'rear' area targets in advance of the main body, etc...

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kar's right, to a point...

If you're going to look for a 'historical pattern' of operations that PGWII followed, Blitzkrieg's it...

Simultanious air & ground assault, heavy use of armor & maneuver, use of paratroopers (and now airmobile units, since we have helos) to attack 'rear' area targets in advance of the main body, etc...

View Quote

Yeah, but [i]forever?[/i]  - And actually I view it as an oxymoron - lightening lasts but a short time ...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]
/Forever/ was in reference to Joe Haldeman's novel "Forever War". Even the war in /that/ novel ended eventually, but until then everything was kind of a mess with unexpected turns and unintended consequences. And it was /meant/ to be an oxymoron, duh. First we roll all over them, and then, after "major" combat ended and victory has practically been declared, ... well you have a TV, too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Kar:

Forever War, excellent novel eh? Read it many years ago... a disaffected Starship Troopers themed novel. Good stuff.

Open Question :

Has anyone ever read a post by rik that was not rife with condescension and vituperation?

Let me know when you decide to get off your throne on Mt Olympus rik, you need a bananna peel under your sandal pretty badly.

Dram out
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
[url=http://www.ucomics.com/nonsequitur/2003/12/16/]non-sequitur[/url]

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever read a post by rik that was not rife with condescension and vituperation?
View Quote

Yes, I have.  You haven't because 1)you've shown previously that you have no love for me and 2)you aren't paying attention.

Let me know when you decide to get off your throne on Mt Olympus rik, you need a bananna peel under your sandal pretty badly.
View Quote

Better (MUCH better) men than you have tried to place one there, with no success.  Don't exaggerate though, Dram...I don't think I am smarter than EVERYONE else.  Just a select few.  And boy, does it bug that select few...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Literally: does not follow. In real life: Huh? What the...? How the hell did you come from /those/ facts to /your/ conclusions? I don't get it.
View Quote

Your response to the original post was an inane non-sequitur.  It had nothing to do with the Russian news article and everything to do with your cockeyed politics.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Your response to the original post was an inane non-sequitur.
View Quote

That's your opinion. However, the post you quoted above was the dictionary definition of /non sequitur/ and an example for application, for the edification of gus and 1GR ;) I don't have any "politics": the last time I went to any kind of elections I voted for Herrn Mickey v. Maus for Reichskanzler.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your response to the original post was an inane non-sequitur.
View Quote

That's your opinion.
View Quote

Yes, by definition ANYTHING I post is my opinion unless I am citing someone else's words.  Thanks for yet another inanity.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, by definition ANYTHING I post is my opinion.
View Quote

Right, I noticed that. Gods forbid that you would ever post anything like facts.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I think a large part of Libyas agreement to disarm has to do with Iraq.  I think Quaddafi is much brighter then Saddam.  Now he gets to keep all his money and power and is actually looked upon as a leader.  Most likely one his own will knock him off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Rik,
You are correct, I have no love for you. It is your abrasive attitude that absolutely sets my hackles leaping. I try to avoid your posts, if at all possible, as you are patently elitist and exasperating to a degree. Not only have I seen this behavior by you here on Arfcom, but a few other websites I have perused over time.

Better (MUCH better) men than you have tried to place one there, with no success. Don't exaggerate though, Dram...I don't think I am smarter than EVERYONE else. Just a select few. And boy, does it bug that select few...

In re the above, my intent was to suggest you need to come down several pegs and act like a human being, not the voice of a God in which you do not believe. You have no idea who I am, nor any criteria upon which to base an assessment of my personal quality either. If your abrasive internet style is any indication of who you are in your real life, your list of friends would be as short as that of recent French military victories.

Now that I have typed this, I wonder why I have wasted time doing so. Communication with you is an utter and complete waste of time and energy.
Ah well, I will remember it better next time I am tempted to score you off. In your case, silence is indeed golden.

Dram out

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I have.  You haven't because 1)you've shown previously that you have no love for me and 2)you aren't paying attention.

View Quote

[red]Better (MUCH better) men than you have tried to place one there, with no success.  Don't exaggerate though, Dram...I don't think I am smarter than EVERYONE else.  Just a select few.  And boy, does it bug that select few...
View Quote
[/red]

RikWriter, like a few other 'elitists' on this board........A Legend In His Own Mind!!!  (end headline)

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#25]
You say 'psychopathic egomaniacal elitest asshole' like its a bad thing!
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, by definition ANYTHING I post is my opinion.
View Quote

Right, I noticed that. Gods forbid that you would ever post anything like facts.
View Quote

Nice job of snipping the parts that make your comment inane.  "UNLESS I AM CITING SOMEONE ELSE'S WORDS."  But thanks for adding yet another inanity to your collection.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Rik,
You are correct, I have no love for you. It is your abrasive attitude that absolutely sets my hackles leaping. I try to avoid your posts
View Quote

So you admit you don't read my posts and thus your comment about "Has anyone ever read a post by rik that was not rife with condescension and vituperation?" was disingenuous as you DON'T READ MY POSTS?

as you are patently elitist
View Quote

If by elitist you mean that I want the world run by a few elites, no I am not elitist.  If you mean by "elitist" that I will take the words of experts who have studied long and hard in their field over that of faceless blowhards on the internet, then HELL YEAH I am an elitist.

In re the above, my intent was to suggest you need to come down several pegs and act like a human being, not the voice of a God in which you do not believe. You have no idea who I am, nor any criteria upon which to base an assessment of my personal quality either. If your abrasive internet style is any indication of who you are in your real life, your list of friends would be as short as that of recent French military victories.
View Quote

I am just like this in real life, except bigger.  Thanks for worrying about my "list of friends," but that's more projection (and wishful thinking) from you than anything else.
The funny part is, I KNOW there are people MUCH smarter than I.  I respect their opinions.  I defer to their knowledge.
You just don't happen to be one of them.

Now that I have typed this, I wonder why I have wasted time doing so.
View Quote

God knows you've wasted everyone's time, including mine.  If silence is golden, please stay golden.  I don't respect or value your opinion and thus have no wish to hear from you whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
RikWriter, like a few other 'elitists' on this board........A Legend In His Own Mind!!!  (end headline)
View Quote

Did you have anything intelligent to add, or did you just plan on drive-by idiocy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top