Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 5:22:55 AM EDT

BROOKLYN MAN KILLS BURGLAR IN BEDROOM

NY Post, December 29, 2003 -- A Brooklyn man blew away an intruder who broke into his apartment yesterday in an apparent robbery attempt, authorities said.

The would-be crook broke into the first-floor apartment at 600 E. 16th St. in Flatbush at around 6:45 p.m., and ran into the tenant in the bedroom, police sources said.

That's when the intruder pulled out a fake gun - and the resident responded by shooting him one time in the face with a real 9mm handgun.

The burglar was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second suspect was arrested last night, but police said it was unclear what his role was.

Cops said the shooter was at home with his girlfriend when the robber broke in, possibly through a window.

He called 911 after killing the intruder and was taken with his girlfriend to the 70th Precinct station house for further questioning, cops said.

It was not clear whether he had a permit for the gun, but he was not immediately charged.

Police said the 29-year-old dead man, whose name was withheld pending notification of relatives, was driving a gray Acura with a Massachusetts license plate.

His girlfriend, Liline Augustin, 25, said he was a construction worker who used to live in the building.

She said they have a 1-year-old son.

"All I know is that I got a call that he was shot and I came down here to see what happened," Augustin said.

"I've known him for five years. He's never done anything bad. He's known for being a really good person."

The building's superintendent, Carl Jagdal, 44, said the tenants in the apartment the man was trying to rob "seem nice," but "you never know.

"People say hello and goodbye all the time, but you don't know what happens behind closed doors."

Neighbors said the burglarized couple have two children who were not home at the time of the shooting.

Man Shot While Breaking Into Brooklyn Apartment

Dec 29, 2003 7:03 am US/Eastern  (1010 WINS) (NEW YORK)

A 29-year-old man was shot to death after he broke into a Brooklyn apartment to steal money, police said.

The man and an accomplice, whose names were not released, forced their way into the apartment on East 18th Street in the Flatbush section shortly before 7 p.m. Sunday, police said. Both were armed and demanded money from the apartment's two occupants, identified as Sheldon Barrow, 34, and Beverly Seales, 35.

After a struggle, Barrow allegedly pulled out a .40-caliber handgun and fired at one of the intruders, hitting him once in the face. The intruder was pronounced dead at the scene. His accomplice, whom police described as between 19 and 21 years old, fled and had not been caught as of early Monday.

During their investigation, police found marijuana in the apartment and charged both Barrow and Seales with criminal possession of marijuana. Barrow was also charged with criminal possession of a weapon, police said.

The investigation was ongoing, said Officer Jennara Everleth, a police spokeswoman.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely SOP for New York.  There have been several of these prosecutions that have made the news in the past year.

They don’t give a shit about whether you appropriately defended your life, if you don’t have a permit your just as much a criminal to the State as the burglar that crawled thorough your window at 3am.

[furious] [pissed] [banghead]

BTW, kudos to the shooter.  1 round to the head while the BG was pointing a fake gun at the would-be victim.  Kick ass!

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
One would think that they would flush the weed down the toilet before the police arrived at the crime scene... Sheesh, that was dumb. We have a dead guy and some weed.  Hmmmmm.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One would think that they would flush the weed down the toilet before the police arrived at the crime scene... Sheesh, that was dumb. We have a dead guy and some weed. Hmmmmm.
View Quote

Seems to me one of three things are likely:

1. The apartment dweller indeed had marijuana on site. If this is so, he is really dumb.

2. The perps dropped it in the apt. Unlikely, but possible.

3. The cops, seeking to demonize and get a conviction on the armed citizen, planted the weed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll choose number #3.

BTW which is it, 9mm or .40cal?

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
#4) The shooter was a dealer and ripped off the intruder in a past deal so the intruder was just trying to get back his money.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If that goes to trial I would love to be on that jury.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
NYC, Great Brittian. What's the difference?

- LS
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]
This is definatly how things are done in NYC. Yuo must possess a permit for ANY gun (.410 shotgun, .22 short derringer etc.) and depending on the gun to be registered depends on weather you'll get a permit. for Handguns it's nearly impossable!!! have to have it for your job (police,security,jewelry store owner) home defense IS NOT a reason to own a handgun! or the other reason is if your a famous person with death threats against you. Howard Stern being one case. I hear he carries a .38 snub on him , Mr long hair liberal goes packing! hahaha!
but as usual only those who obey the laws go unarmed ,the criminals just ignore the laws. NYC truly is the belly of the beast!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is definatly how things are done in NYC. Yuo must possess a permit for ANY gun (.410 shotgun, .22 short derringer etc.) and depending on the gun to be registered depends on weather you'll get a permit. for Handguns it's nearly impossable!!! have to have it for your job (police,security,jewelry store owner) home defense IS NOT a reason to own a handgun!
View Quote

Not entirely true - a permit is required for any gun (a rifle/shotgun or pistol permit, there's actually 2 required), but anyone with a clean record can get either one.  It's just that if you don't meet the special cases for pistol carry you receive a restricted pistol license that does not allow carry outside the home except in a locked case.

Plus, to get said pistol license costs $355, 6 months wait and 5 trips to police headquarters.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone think that maybe the weed was dropped by the perp who fled?  Or maybe on the dead perp?

I hope the DA isn't dumbass enough to press charges.  Anyone here want to contact the DA's office on the good guy's behalf?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a drug rip-off gone bad.  Perhaps Barrow was dealing drugs from his apartment and the dead perp, who used to live in the building, knew there was money in there.

No sympathy for this guy at all.

You need to edit the title to read - [u]Dealer Defends Stash - Shoots Fellow Druggy[/u]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is definatly how things are done in NYC. Yuo must possess a permit for ANY gun (.410 shotgun, .22 short derringer etc.) and depending on the gun to be registered depends on weather you'll get a permit. for Handguns it's nearly impossable!!! have to have it for your job (police,security,jewelry store owner) home defense IS NOT a reason to own a handgun!
View Quote

Not entirely true - a permit is required for any gun (a rifle/shotgun or pistol permit, there's actually 2 required), but anyone with a clean record can get either one.  It's just that if you don't meet the special cases for pistol carry you receive a restricted pistol license that does not allow carry outside the home except in a locked case.

Plus, to get said pistol license costs $355, 6 months wait and 5 trips to police headquarters.
View Quote

The restricted license allows the handgun to be home and taken to the range in a locked case.  Furthermore, you are at the NYPD's  mercy when buying a handgun...If the handgun is too evil, they won't allow it.   Anyone try to register a PM-11 lately?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like a drug rip-off gone bad.  Perhaps Barrow was dealing drugs from his apartment and the dead perp, who used to live in the building, knew there was money in there.

No sympathy for this guy at all.

You need to edit the title to read - [u]Dealer Defends Stash - Shoots Fellow Druggy[/u]
View Quote

I think you may be reading too much into the facts.  The NYPD would be the first to trumpet if this was some kind of drug ripoff.

More likely the guy had a stash in his bedroom for himself and the cops happened to find it when they tossed the crime scene.

It would have been nice having the presence of mind to flush it before the cops arrived but I'd probably be shook up too if I had someone's brains all over my living room.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top