Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 4:10:31 PM EDT
God this pisses me off if it's true.  I hate it when the US hangs those who help us out to dry

Ralph Peters writes,

Now the Poles are defending freedom again. In Iraq. While the establishment media agonize over the fickle moods of Paris and Berlin, there's little mention in the press of the superb contribution made by our Polish allies - at great cost to their own country.

In the words of an American officer who works closely with them, "Poland has taken to the Iraq mission for idealistic and principled purposes: Its leadership and military truly believe that freedom and justice are universal values worth fighting for."

To how many other nations would those words apply?

Poland has deployed 2,500 of its best soldiers to Iraq. It sent $64 million worth of its newest equipment - which operations in Iraq will ruin. Warsaw selected its finest officers to command and staff the Multinational Division Center South. A Polish major general commands a total of 12,000 troops from 22 nations with responsibility for a sector previously held by twice as many U.S. Marines. The Polish performance has been flawless.

Their reward? Surely America must recognize such a great contribution from an economically struggling ally - at a time when Polish troops also support peacekeeping missions in Afghanistan and the Balkans?

Sorry. Turkey, which stabbed us as deeply in the back as it could on the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom, will receive a minimum of $2 billion from Washington - and the same elements in the Rumsfeld cabal who failed to plan for the occupation of Iraq hope to increase our aid to Ankara to $5 billion.

Pakistan, which refuses to press home the fight against al Qaeda, will get billions from Washington. The repressive Egyptian regime will get a few billion, too, as it does every year. Even Yemen will get a welfare check from Uncle Sugar.

And Poland? Like the Czech Republic, which sent a few medics to the Persian Gulf then withdrew them in panic, Poland will get a standard package of $12 million for NATO-related programs. Other than some logistical support in Iraq, that's it. Strategic peanuts for our most enthusiastic ally on the European continent.

Poland did have one request - a humble one, in the great scheme of things. Warsaw asked for $47 million to modernize six used, American-built C-130 transport aircraft and to purchase American-built HMMWV all-terrain vehicles so elite Polish units could better integrate operations with American forces. Much of the money would go right back to U.S. factories and workers.

Our response? We stiffed them.

For once, the Pentagon and the State Department agree: No can do. Impossible. Our pocket are empty. Got to FedEx every penny to our favorite dictators.

It's a mistake to over-idealize any nation. But if there's a land of heroes anywhere between the English Channel and the coast of California, it's Poland. Our Polish allies have taken a brave, costly, principled stand for freedom and democracy in Iraq. They desperately want to be seen by Washington as reliable friends in this treacherous world.

The least we could do is to treat them with respect.

www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=11441
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
can anyone post the email addy for the polish embassy here in the US. I think some thank you emails might be appropriate.

mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
can anyone post the email addy for the polish embassy here in the US. I think some thank you emails might be appropriate.

mike
View Quote

[email protected]

[url=http://www.polandembassy.org/]Polish Embassy Link [/url]

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]

I'd like to share a glass of vodka with those fine men from Poland!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent an e mail to them early on when they first sent troops to iraq. I got a very nice reply. Its too bad we're treating them like shit. Maybe a fire mission to the White House?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I can get an email out as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
email away. Thanks for the link i was too lazy to look it up.

mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#9]

God bless our true allies, it seems we have fewer and fewer every year.

[party] Woohoo!  Six hundred posts! [party]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#10]
email sent.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

mike
View Quote
How about a WTF e mail to Bush for this part ---
Poland did have one request - a humble one, in the great scheme of things. Warsaw asked for $47 million to modernize six used, American-built C-130 transport aircraft and to purchase American-built HMMWV all-terrain vehicles so elite Polish units could better integrate operations with American forces. Much of the money would go right back to U.S. factories and workers.

It was refused.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

mike
View Quote
How about a WTF e mail to Bush for this part ---

It was refused.
View Quote

excellent point!

mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a real shame that a country has to have a tantrum to get positive attention; the squeeky wheel gets the oil.  It sounds like Poland has been a model ally and they aren't being rewarded.  Well good for Poland for standing for what they believe in even in the face of economic difficulty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top