Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 3:46:15 PM EDT
So I'm looking at the Oakley website and I see that polarized sunglasses cost $200 (versus $140 for regular). Is the polarization that damn important to spend an extra $60? It doesn't seem as though it would make that much difference. Any advice from those who have had both types would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Matt
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Polarizing cuts down on glare BIG TIME!
$60 difference? Thats up to you.
Since my choice is $10 plain or $20 for polarized I choose polarized.

They are a MUST have for fishing!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I run a small fly shop.  I have sold and tried all manner of sunglasses (many were freebies from reps).  I can tell you that no pair of sunglasses are worth $200 or even $100 for that matter.  Is a $200 dollar pair better that a $50 pair.  Yes, but not $150 better.  

As for polarized lenses, yes, you want them.  Polarization stops most glare that comes off the water and blocks UV rays (or so I'm told by all my reps).   I would look for a cheaper pair if I were you.  I destroy about 2 to 3 pairs a year and have come to realize that the $20 polarized sets from most makers are going to do the job just as well as Oakley's will and won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Polarized lensed stop light wave of a certain polarization (duh) great for reducing reflected glare, think of them as sunglasses with a micro venesion blind built in.

They are absolutely great for sun glasses if you spend a lot of time on a boat on the water.  They are also great on the lens of a camera.

But if you are spending most of your time as an average Joe out in the fields with very little reflected glare you are not going to see much difference.

I'm not saying that it's not worth it - just saying that you might be paying for a "feature" that only you can decide if you will be utilizing....
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't buy ANY other type. I am on the water most all of the time, and regular sunglasses just don't cut it.

I go through a LOT of glasses in a year. I'd look for less expensive glasses unless you want the name.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't wear anything but polarized.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Polorized glasses are also great for driving. That early morning or late afternoon driving can be a bitch.

As for cost, I have prescription glasses that are polorized and have photogrey lens. The cost with frames, cheap plastic, didn't cost $200. Unless you are a devoted fan of Oakley and want to support their retirement funds you can do better.

Go to your local eyeglass store and get clear optical lens and have them treated as you wish.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a pair, and when looking at shallow water (if the water is somewhat clear and shallow 2-3ft) you can see objects under the water. Take the glasses off and all you see is the top of the water and bright sunlight. I am sold on them! Mine are bolle's.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in line with the others. If you are into fishing, go with the polarized. You'll be amazed at what you have been missing when you hit your favorite spots with the polarized shades.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My roommate is a part time optician.  He made me a custom pair of shooting glasses with polycarbonate lenses and just about every coating available.  The frames were around $200, but got them at his discount of 50%.  The polycarbonate lenses with all the treatments including custom tinting, polarizing coating, antireflective thingamagigy, etc etc etc would have added close to another $200 at retail, got all that for free.  Bottom line, a good pair of custom fitted shooting glasses can easily cost you $200, especially if you have a wide face like I do and can't find most frames that will provide adequate protection of the eyes and still feel comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Go polarized. I got a pair of ray bans with polarized lens, plus mirrored blue, I wear them more than my regular glasses. Lenses cost more than the frames.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
ALl these guys are talking about cutting the glare off the water, but you must remember that there is glare from the reflection off the snow as well (I see you're in CO - and assume you either ski, or hunt in the snow areas as well)

Get the polarized, you will be much happier - but, unless you feel the need for the oakly name on them, I'm sure you can find some stylish ones for a lot less.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Sometimes when driving I see the reflection of the dashboard on the windshield. Put on the polarized glasses and it goes away.

One other thing I noticed is it is hard to see LCD displays such as the display on the radio or cell phone while wearing the polarized glasses.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Polarized. I have a whole mess of sunglasses, the only ones I wear are polarized.

The reason the LCD displays look funny is because they already have polarized glass, and if you put two polarized lenses at a 90 degree angle, they block out everything (tilt your head when looking at the gas pump display while wearing polarized lenses). Anyway, so much for the technical minute... polarized glasses rock.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a somewhat more practical test/use for polarized lenses.

While driving, put a white piece of paper on the dashboard. Take a look out the window with regular sunglasses. See the white paper in the reflection?

Now, if you have polarized lenses, switch to them and watch the reflection practically disappear.

This illustrates the polarized lenses' ability to remove distracting, unnecessary glare from your field of view.

FYI, a quick test to see if your lenses are polarized: Hold one of the sunglass lenses a couple of inches from a typical digital watch face. Now, rotate the lense 90 degrees and the watch face should turn black. If it doesn't, your lenses are not polarized. This is due to the already polarized light coming from the watch face being shut out by the sunglass lens.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Know what the big O in Oakley stands for?...[red][b]OVERPRICED[/b][/red]. Yes, get polarized sunglasses, but get a pair that's actually worth the money. I'm very partial to Costa Del Mar, and Ocean Waves.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I swear my Oakley polarized glasses make things look clearer.  My wife says the same thing.  I don't know if it is possible.  But I can definitely see distant objects better (license plates and street signs).  It may have something to do with the effect photographers use where they drop the aperature down small to get more depth of field, or it may be all in my head.  But my wife noticed it without me mentioning it, so I believe there is some truth to it.

Get the polarized.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's a somewhat more practical test/use for polarized lenses.

While driving, put a white piece of paper on the dashboard. Take a look out the window with regular sunglasses. See the white paper in the reflection?

Now, if you have polarized lenses, switch to them and watch the reflection practically disappear.

This illustrates the polarized lenses' ability to remove distracting, unnecessary glare from your field of view.

FYI, a quick test to see if your lenses are polarized: Hold one of the sunglass lenses a couple of inches from a typical digital watch face. Now, rotate the lense 90 degrees and the watch face should turn black. If it doesn't, your lenses are not polarized. This is due to the already polarized light coming from the watch face being shut out by the sunglass lens.
View Quote

Is there an echo in here? LOL
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Leisure, good polarized lenses can absolutely make things clearer.  Glare can distory the edges of objects, in essence blur them slightly.  This happens so frequently that you just assume its normal, the polarized lenses help remove that glare and sharpen what you see.  Yes, it is like a photographer using a filter on a lens.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, either I read your mind or vice versa. I just take too long to post while watching TV. LOL

I have to also give a nod to my polarized Oakley Juliets. Overpriced? Hell yes. Worth it to me? Hell yes. I usually break everything I touch, but believe me when I say that I take real good care of them because of what they cost.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#20]
its only 60 bucks.

[wave]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree with IAU.  If I would have bought a regular pair of $20-30 glasses, they would have been lost, broken, or all beat up within 2 months.  If I spend a lot of money on something, it usually benefits me, as I often get the better performance (USUALLY) and save money in the long run since I'm not replacing the item constantly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I have prescription regular and sunglasses.  I got polarized lenses in my sunglasses about 8 years ago, and every time I have to get new ones I always go polarized.  

It's well worth the cost.  Glare is considerably reduced.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#23]
On the water, I always used polarized lens.  It is also great on glare from snow/ice (where I a from).  The only drawback I have ever noticed is that sometimes it make it really hard to look at some LCD screens.  Blue blockers are also nice, they cut down on the blue rays which tend to scatter the image and make for a tighter, sharper contrast.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I lost my polarized sun glasses (they attached with little magnets to my perscription pair. Oddly enough, they did look good and I didn't have to get another pair of lenses custom ground) halfway through my Fly Fishing class last term.

I could tell the difference. I went from being able to easily pick out trout, to seeing, well, the surface of the stream.

Get polarized. But I wouldn't pay $150 for stock sunglasses. Jesus, I pay less then that for my prescription.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Like everyone else, I will only buy polarized after buying my first pair.  What a difference they make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top