Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 3:45:48 PM EDT
I was thinking guns are alot easier to come by anywhere besides CA. So when I go to Georgia and complete basic, AIT and i have some money in my pocket can I buy a couple of pistols? the law says you are allowed to import pistols in CA as long as you register them when you get back. I always wanted a 70 series commander but because of CA law I can't order one from a out of state FFL. But I can physically import one.

Now a question about georgia law.

So will a shop in georgia sell me a gun, I would think I would have a ID from benning?

are PPT of pistols legal?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You will get a military ID, however some states (at least the ones that I've been stationed in) require you to have either a State drivers license or State issued ID. Everywhere I've bought guns, I was a residents of that state for over 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I help out at a gunshop a few of my off days each week. We aren't that far from Ft. Campbell. If a soldier comes in to buy a HANDGUN (long guns are less restricted) and has a valid military I.D. he is okay.

BTW, where were you on Ft. Benning? I was in A-5-1, the first Infantry Training Battalion up the hill from the reception station. Of course I graduated 20 years and 10 days ago!!! (17 Dec 83).  
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Residency of a state only applies for private sale.

You can buy guns from a FFL in person anywhere in the USA so long as you observe local law and the gun is legal wherever you keep it (i.e. if you're planning on buying an AR-15 in GA and taking it back to CA, that's against federal law)...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
during basic and AIT your not going to have enough time to go gun shopping. Also military bases have some pretty harsh regulations concerning private weapons on post.

Your best bet is to ask you company commander when the time comes. They may not allow you to keep them on post as a trainee.

mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Residency of a state only applies for private sale.

You can buy guns from a FFL in person anywhere in the USA so long as you observe local law and the gun is legal wherever you keep it (i.e. if you're planning on buying an AR-15 in GA and taking it back to CA, that's against federal law)...
View Quote

This only applies to long guns. Pistols would have to be sent to a FFL in the state of residency.

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
According to [url]http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17[/url]

The state of residence is the state in which an individual is present with the intention of making a home in that state. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the state in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one state and the member's permanent duty station is in a nearby state to which he or she commutes each day, then the member may purchase a firearm in either the state where the duty station is located or the state where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United states is considered to be a resident of a state only if the alien is residing in that state and has resided in that state continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. [18 U. S. C. 921( b) and 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.11]

edited to add: I did once have to produce a copy of my orders to prove where I am stationed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The state of residence is the state in which an individual is present with the intention of making a home in that state. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the state [b][red]in which his or her permanent duty station is located.[/b][/red] If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one state and the member's permanent duty station is in a nearby state to which he or she commutes each day, then the member may purchase a firearm in either the state where the duty station is located or the state where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United states is considered to be a resident of a state only if the alien is residing in that state and has resided in that state continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. [18 U. S. C. 921( b) and 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.11]
View Quote

Not sure about the other services, but in the Coast Guard, you go to Boot Camp TDY not PCS.

edit: Not that anyone from any other state would want to claim that NJ was their residence [;)]

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The state of residence is the state in which an individual is present with the intention of making a home in that state. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the state [b][red]in which his or her permanent duty station is located.[/b][/red] If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one state and the member's permanent duty station is in a nearby state to which he or she commutes each day, then the member may purchase a firearm in either the state where the duty station is located or the state where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United states is considered to be a resident of a state only if the alien is residing in that state and has resided in that state continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. [18 U. S. C. 921( b) and 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.11]
View Quote

Not sure about the other services, but in the Coast Guard, you go to Boot Camp TDY not PCS.

Jamie
View Quote

Good point. Been a while since I been TDY.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure it's a PCS to got to BT, or AIT.

I can't imagine though a BT, or AIT, comander Ok'ing a trainee getting a firearm.

There's a lot of hoops to jump through at a regular duty station to have firearms, hint they have to be stored in the arms room if they are on base, let alone the BT/AIT/OSUT environment.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure it's a PCS to got to BT, or AIT.

I can't imagine though a BT, or AIT, comander Ok'ing a trainee getting a firearm.

There's a lot of hoops to jump through at a regular duty station to have firearms, hint they have to be stored in the arms room if they are on base, let alone the BT/AIT/OSUT environment.
View Quote

Seems like it would be a good idea to either buy it or have the dealer hold it and pick it up the last day in town.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
during basic and AIT your not going to have enough time to go gun shopping. Also military bases have some pretty harsh regulations concerning private weapons on post.
mike
View Quote

What I meant to say was, After finishing AIT I was hoping to stay a little while (off base) and see a friend nearby.  Or does the military fly you back right after basic without any down time?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask your boot pusher, he should be able to tell you. In the CG, you get up to (I think) 10 days after Boot Camp.

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
mike
View Quote

What I meant to say was, After finishing AIT I was hoping to stay a little while (off base) and see a friend nearby.  Or does the military fly you back right after basic without any down time?
View Quote

I'm sure you would have to take leave in route which should be handled during your outprocessing from BT/AIT.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In the CG, you get up to (I think) 10 days after Boot Camp.

Jamie
View Quote

In the Air Force you get travel time if you are going by personal means.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#15]
When you go to Benning for basic/AIT ( aren't they calling it OSUT anymore?), you will be on [b]TDY[/b] orders. You will NOT be entitled to claim residence in Georgia for the purpose of buying a fiream, unless you have the FFL you purchase it from ship it to an FFL in California.

In order to buy from a dealer in another state, you must produce a valid military ID and a copy of your [b]PCS[/b] order.

If you are staying with a friend in Georgia "for a little while", you are not intending to establish residence there and will not be able to buy a firearm and walk out of the store with it.

(spelling edit)

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as staying a few days after basic yes you can. You will be given a choice to fly home on the military's dime and leaving right away or you can sign MLT (pronounced Malt) which is money in lue of travel arrangements made for you. You get the money later on in you check and you make your own way home taking as long as you want so long as you show at you next duty station by the time listed in your orders.

-Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top