Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 9:05:24 PM EDT
Hello;
I have done a *lot* of searching, looking for a bench top drill press. An accurate, adjustable depth stop is important to me. Also, I need a DP with a minimum amount of runout. I would like this DP to also go deep into low speed territory.

For those reasons, most of the cheaper drill presses like Delta and Grizzly don't make the grade. I was at Sears today, and their Craftsman 12 in. Drill Press is on sale for $149. It seems like a tight unit with a really decent depth adjustment guage.
Craftsman 12"

The only thing is the lowest speed is 540 rpm. Higher than I'd like, but I might be able to do something creative about that.  ;)

I'd like to invite comments from anyone that has this, or the the previously available Craftsman 10" benchtop unit.

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Delta makes about one of the best drill presses out there. I have both the 12" and the 16" floor stand models. They work great for me.

[url]www.deltawoodworking.com[/url]
[img]http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/Products/Tools/ExtraLarge/20021129200000_DP300_72dpi_400.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
FNBrowning, sounds more like you are expecting and demanding Vertical Mill performance out of a benchtop drillpress. Don't think you'll find it for reasonable $$.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:19:44 AM EDT
[#3]
What Rayra said:

A drill press is a quick and dirty way to make a hole.

If you are truly looking for accuracy, you need a mill.

To answer your question, I do have a Craftsman drill press that is about 30 years old and still going strong with ALOT of use.  It is, however, not a mill.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Gee dpmmn, didja notice that Delta there has no depth stop? [;)]

[i]Of course[/i] a mill is the most accurate method of making a hole. There is no disputing this. But you assumed I was going to mill metal. Maybe I just want straight, consistant holes in hardwoods. [;)]

But saying:  >>"A drill press is a quick and dirty way to make a hole."<< Is also a way of saying: [i]We've gotten so used to accepting the innaccuracy of Taiwaneese tools that we forgot to demand what was previously possible with made-in-America products.[/i]

There is no reason that we/I need to [i]accept[/i] poor runout in a drill press, because that's what Harbor Freight/Delta/Ryobi sells. I'll bet that 80FL's 30 year old press has less run out than many new $80 dollar specials.

So the minimum choice is the Craftsman $149 12" DP. Or maybe I should look at a Jet or other model. That's why I asked the question. [:)]

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about this particular model, but some of the Craftsman drill presses are now made in China or Taiwan.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the model you are referring to.

It's nice.My kid seems to use it for his mini-bikes and stuff more than me...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top