BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 11:34:48 PM EDT
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/bizarre/2316577

Dec. 23, 2003, 9:08AM

Terrified men watch as crocodile kills friend
Reuters News Service

DARWIN, Australia -- A crocodile killed a 22-year-old man and then kept his body in its jaws while his two friends watched in horror from a nearby tree.

Shaun Blowers and Ashley McGough, both 19, recounted on Tuesday how the reptile snatched Brett Mann at Finniss River, which cuts through a flooded tropical wilderness about 50 miles southwest of Darwin in the Northern Territory on Sunday.

Blowers said the 13-foot saltwater crocodile also lunged at them, but they scrambled up a tree in the swollen stream. A police search party found them still in the tree 22 hours later.

The three friends had been riding quad bikes along a muddy trail, and stopped by the river to bathe.

Mann was swept away by a strong current. As his friends swam out to help, he was taken by a crocodile that had been lurking in the waters.

"We both jumped in and swam after him and we got in front of him and were leading him back to the bank," Blowers said. "I went past the croc. I didn't see it. Ashley screamed out `croc, croc'... we just swam to the nearest tree and straight up we went.

"We were looking around for Brett (but) didn't hear a thing, didn't hear a scream, no splashing or anything," he said.

"Two minutes later the croc brought Brett to the surface and pretty much showed him off to us and off he swam.

"Five minutes later he was back stalking the tree around us. He just hung around us all night and pretty much all the next morning."

A police helicopter took the two survivors to Darwin, where they were treated for shock and exposure.

Authorities Tuesday searched the river for Mann's remains and for the man-eating crocodile.

Saltwater crocodiles are among the world's largest reptiles. They became a protected species in 1971 after they were nearly wiped out over the last century. There are now an estimated 100,000 saltwater crocs and there have been growing calls for a reintroduction of limited hunting.

Last year a crocodile killed a 25-year-old German woman as she swam in the Northern Territories Kakadu Park

I know you can't have guns anymore in Australia, but for a man-eating croc like this one, what would you carry if you were motocrossing in the Outback?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
12 gauge comes in close second to a deck-mounted .50
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Them salt-water Aussie crocs are bad news.

What a way to die...being some animal's meal.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
thats a bummer.

i feel bad for the two that could do nothing but watch thier friend getting mauled.

if it were me, i would at least hit it with a stick so i wouldnt have that much guilt following with me for the rest of my life knowing i did nothing.

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
12 gauge 3" magnum slug for 'gator down on the bayou, or so I'm told...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Those crocs are meaner than gators.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#6]
aren't aligators bigger than crocs?

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
aren't aligators bigger than crocs?

View Quote

No, the opposite is true.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
nevermind then..

i have a new found respect for the Crocadile Hunter now.

all this time i thought he was a big pussy.[:D]

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
nevermind then..

i have a new found respect for the Crocadile Hunter now.

all this time i thought he was a big pussy.[:D]

View Quote

Aussie saltwater crocs are the largest reptiles in the world.

[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/70658/VZVRQ-croc-Ozphoto.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#10]
The Aussie salt water crocs are big and nasty muthas.  I think 12 ga 3 1/2" magnums or something in a .600 Nitro Express would be my choice.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:48:14 AM EDT
[#11]
The environwhackos strike again. I'm just waiting for the exploading local cougar population to cull some soccer moms. I will be first in to say, "I told you so."
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
how about an m1 garand loaded with black tips?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[url]A police helicopter took the two survivors to [red]Darwin[/red], where they were treated for shock and exposure.
View Quote

how appropriate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:06:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Uhmm.. in Australia NONE, because you aren't allowed to have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top