Delta County: Passed Resolution March 18, 2019
Logan County: Passed Resolution March 18, 2019
Huerfano County: Passed Resolution March 18, 2019
Jackson County: Passed Resolution March 14, 2019
Rio Grande County: Passed Resolution March 13, 2019
Elbert County: Passed Resolution March 13, 2019
Alamosa County: Passed Resolution March 13, 2019
Washington County: Passed resolution March 12, 2019
Douglas County: Passed resolution March 12, 2019 (Sheriff not in support)
Dolores County: Passed resolution March 12, 2019
El Paso County: Passed resolution March 12, 2019 (Sheriff may still enforce law or parts of law)
Prowers County: Passed resolution March 11, 2019
Cheyenne County: Passed resolution March 8, 2019
Park County: Passed resolution March 7, 2019
Teller County: Passed resolution March 7, 2019
Baca County: Passed resolution March 6, 2019
Conejos County: Passed resolution March 6, 2019
Kit Carson County: Passed resolution March 6, 2019
Weld County: Passed resolution March 6, 2019
Moffat County: Passed resolution March 5, 2019
Montezuma County: Passed resolution Feb 28, 2019
Custer County: Passed resolution Feb 28, 2019
Kiowa County: Passed resolution Feb 28, 2019
Fremont County: Passed resolution Feb 26, 2019
Rio Blanco County: Passed resolution May 21, 2018
Otero County: Passed resolution in 2013, although they commissioners and sheriff are refusing to draft language specific to HB19-1177

These municipalities have joined with their counties:

Craig, CO: Passed resolution March 11, 2019
Canon City, CO: Passed resolution March 18, 2019
Milliken, CO: Set to pass resolution
Greeley, CO: Considering
Pueblo, CO: Considering

The following counties are considering implementing similar resolutions:

Montrose County

Montrose County says "We Hear You!" to their citizens.  They took on the issue Tuesday during a work session and will be drafting a resolution, and be voting on it March 20th at the regular meeting.

If you go: 9:30am, Wednesday, March 20th  Montrose County Offices, 317 S 2nd Street, Montrose, CO 81401
Contact the commissioners to express your support here.

Phillips County:

The Phillips County Sheriff has come out in full opposition, urging the county commissioners to vote for Second Amendment Sanctuary Status.

Garfield County:

Sheriff of Garfield County Lou Vallario made a public statement about his opposition to HB19-1177 and the county commissioners are working with him to determine next steps.

Sedgwick County

Sedgwick County Sheriff Carlton Britton presented his county commissioners with a formal letter requesting the adoption of a Second Amendment Sanctuary resolution.

Pueblo County

The Pueblo County Sheriff has publicly voiced his opposition and two of the three Democrat county commissioner made public statements at their last county commissioner meeting that they have grave concerns with the bill (the third was not present).

Mesa County

Rose Pugliese, chairwoman of the Mesa County Board of Commissioners, said her board passed a comprehensive resolution in 2013 supporting the Second Amendment and she plans to present the newest resolution to the entire board of commissioners in the coming days.  The Mesa County Sheriff has also come out in strong opposition to the Red Flag legislation currently being considered.

Larimer County

In Larimer County, Sheriff Justin Smith has publicly stated his opposition to the current version of the Red Flag bill, and all three county commissioners (including Democrat and former State Senator, John Kefalas) have issued a letter to the Senate asking them to oppose this bill.

Jefferson County

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Shrader is also in public opposition to HB19-1177.  The Board of County Commissioners have yet to make a statement.  I will reach out to them as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Hoping for Jeffco.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
This is awesome!!!

Washington, Colorado, New Mexico.  The list of counties and states resisting gun control continues to grow by the day!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is awesome!!!

Washington, Colorado, New Mexico.  The list of counties and states resisting gun control continues to grow by the day!!!
View Quote
I'm going to the Montrose one this morning.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
That's impressive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
What's Gunnison say on the matter?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]
This is wonderful, the balkinization continues, as the states and even better the counties take their rights back, moving through the US will become more of a "if you can stop me" untill all faith is lost in the federal government to enforce the law and we get collections of states/communities forming their own governments. Next the communist states will all but collapse and we can properly take the country back as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is wonderful, the balkinization continues, as the states and even better the counties take their rights back, moving through the US will become more of a "if you can stop me" untill all faith is lost in the federal government to enforce the law and we get collections of states/communities forming their own governments. Next the communist states will all but collapse and we can properly take the country back as a whole.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#8]
We are watching the fall of rome in real time, liberals dont trust the government because of trump getting elected and they will do anything once they are back in power to prevent this from happening again. You proved my point, rightly so why we dont trust the government, it is the broken window theory, if there is one left broken in the building it wont be long before the people throw rocks through the rest of them, this started with obama/holder went to the fbi/hillary then to the "sanctuary" cities now this. This is in real time and pay attention, they want us disarmed so they can steal our labor to provide for those that refuse to provide for themselves mean while moving in our ... Damned I dont want to say it and give creedence to something bad that just happened. This is exactly what they have done, taken power through our own laws and morality.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Adams County not on the list?  My shocked face
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Look like everyone in those counties is mentally unstable, and should be red flagged!  See? Red flag laws work!

-Denver
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Love it.

I wish they would do the same with the mag ban.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#13]
This is going to wind up resulting in the same thing NY state did with the SAFE act. All but the few metros signed a resolution stating they would not enforce the SAFE act and nobody could make them.

NY State has yet to do a thing about it.

Same with other states - how many AR's, FN's, AK's, and HK's were turned in under their AWB registration scheme. Darn few.

It's said when they outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns, now you see the Deep State agenda.

Wake up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#14]
It won't matter.  When the authorities want you, they will use the law.  It's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
After a bunch of WHEREAS statements, Park County resolved:

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of County Commissioners of the County of Park by the authority granted the Board by the laws of the State of Colorado and people of Park County, Colorado to stand and defend their rights and liberties, which are guaranteed by the United States and Colorado Constitutions, we hereby declare this Resolution to be a Second Amendment Preservation Resolution Designating Park County a Second Amendment "Sanctuary County."

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Board affirms its support for the duly elected Sheriff of Park County, Colorado in the exercise of his sound discretion and affirms its resolve to support decisions by our Sheriff to not enforce any unconstitutional firearms law against any citizen.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Board will not authorize or appropriate government funds, resources, employees, agencies, contractors, buildings, detention centers or offices for the purpose of enforcing law that unconstitutionally infringes on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Good for Colorado. Time to push on those lawmakers to do what WE want. What's all that shit about the people wanting gun control?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven’t seen an official statement but this was their reply to someone asking about it on FB.

“The Sheriff currently opposes the legislation as written and he has requested modifications to the bill.  He will not support it in the current form.”

I haven’t heard what his proposed modifications are.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Pot meet kettle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I haven’t seen an official statement but this was their reply to someone asking about it on FB.

“The Sheriff currently opposes the legislation as written and he has requested modifications to the bill.  He will not support it in the current form.”

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully that Sheriff wants the regulation of NFA items to be included in what is unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Plenty of opposition to this bill, and the "sanctuary county" statements are adding up.

Sadly I doubt CO politicians will listen.  Then we could only hope to see a repeat of 2013 again, send some packing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad to see my childhood home of Park County telling them to fuck off, and expected nothing less from Craig County
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Love it.

I wish they would do the same with the mag ban.
View Quote
60 of our 64 Sheriffs sued the state and aren't enforcing the mag ban.

So they kinda did already.

We had a chance to get back to 30rds as the limit (while banning everything over that) but Dudders fucked that up. Incrementalism works, and we're proving it, but some folks in-state still resist that lesson.

It sucks to not be able to buy mags online, but you can still buy mags at nearly every gun shop and with only 4 county sheriffs actively enforcing the law, it looks a lot more toothless than I bet the left would like it to be.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Plenty of opposition to this bill, and the "sanctuary county" statements are adding up.

Sadly I doubt CO politicians will listen.  Then we could only hope to see a repeat of 2013 again, send some packing.
View Quote
I don't think the climate is the same as it was in 2013. I think recalls over the red flag bill would be at a much higher risk for failure than those we ran in 2013.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]
The NYS map of anti-SAFE resolutions looked even more promising after SAFE was passed.
Oh well. Good luck Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think the climate is the same as it was in 2013. I think recalls over the red flag bill would be at a much higher risk for failure than those we ran in 2013.
View Quote
Agreed on that. I was considering this morning if/when it passes with all this opposition and laying out the problems with it, will it be a case of forgetting the power of the recalls or knowing they control the majority along with 6 more years of the population sliding to the left?  Probably the latter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#27]
the R sheriff in Douglas Co (Spurlock) has stepped on his dick BIG TIME on this issue.

actually chastised the County board for passing the resolution

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/politics/douglas-co-sheriff-slams-commissioners-after-resolution-preempting-red-flag-bill-passes
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
My libtard county not on the list (Eagle)

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hopefully that Sheriff wants the regulation of NFA items to be included in what is unconstitutional.
View Quote
I kind of doubt it. He is a Democrat after all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After a bunch of WHEREAS statements, Park County resolved:

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of County Commissioners of the County of Park by the authority granted the Board by the laws of the State of Colorado and people of Park County, Colorado to stand and defend their rights and liberties, which are guaranteed by the United States and Colorado Constitutions, we hereby declare this Resolution to be a Second Amendment Preservation Resolution Designating Park County a Second Amendment "Sanctuary County."

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Board affirms its support for the duly elected Sheriff of Park County, Colorado in the exercise of his sound discretion and affirms its resolve to support decisions by our Sheriff to not enforce any unconstitutional firearms law against any citizen.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Board will not authorize or appropriate government funds, resources, employees, agencies, contractors, buildings, detention centers or offices for the purpose of enforcing law that unconstitutionally infringes on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
View Quote
How does this resolution have any meaning or significance?????? NOBODY enforces laws that have been determined to be unconstitutional.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that leave the door open for any and every law to be enforced until it is successfully challenged and found unconstitutional?

EDIT- If the intent was to allow the Sheriff to decide on his own whether or not a law is constitutional, the resolution isn't written in a way that gives him the authority.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Trump told everyone to enact this.

Guess what?

They are.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The NYS map of anti-SAFE resolutions looked even more promising after SAFE was passed.
Oh well. Good luck Colorado.
View Quote
If the county sheriffs had any balls they'd openly say that gun shops will be allowed to sell unaltered rifles and standard cap mags, and it'd be in the states best interest to just let it happen.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How does this resolution have any meaning or significance?????? NOBODY enforces laws that have been determined to be unconstitutional.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that leave the door open for any and every law to be enforced until it is successfully challenged and found unconstitutional?

EDIT- If the intent was to allow the Sheriff to decide on his own whether or not a law is constitutional, the resolution isn't written in a way that gives him the authority.
View Quote
Uhhh.

All laws that are passed are enforced until they are challenged and found unconstitutional.  That is how judicial review works.

A legislature can pass whatever laws they want.  The judiciary cannot review them until someone with standing sues and the case works its way through the court system.  There is no "automatic review process" whereby laws are reviewed as they are passed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Uhhh.

All laws that are passed are enforced until they are challenged and found unconstitutional.  That is how judicial review works.

A legislature can pass whatever laws they want.  The judiciary cannot review them until someone with standing sues and the case works its way through the court system.  There is no "automatic review process" whereby laws are reviewed as they are passed.
View Quote
Exactly. So a resolution stating they won't support enforcement of unconstitutional laws means business as usual, right?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Exactly. So a resolution stating they won't support enforcement of unconstitutional laws means business as usual, right?
View Quote
Not exactly.  It's a bit more complicated.  Though I don't exactly understand what you are asking.

They are saying that the laws passed by Colorado (red flag laws, mag ban, whatever) are unconstitutional (federally) and they (the local government) will not do the states bidding in enforcing un-Constitutional laws.  It's civil disobedience by a lower level of government.

Local governments are essentially telling the state government to fuck off, and daring them to send the states men in to enforce the laws.  It's a rebellion, otherwise known as nullification.

ETA: Yes, the local legislature (county commission or whatever it is called in CO) is taking it upon itself to determine constitutionality of the legislation.  They can do that till someone challenges them.

They have precedent that the Bill of Rights applies to the states via incorporation through the 14th Amendment.

And they can continue to tell the state to fuck off until A) The state sues them and wins or B) The federal government steps in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad they're standing up.  I hope they really mean it.  Nullification can lead to very serious consequences.

We fought a civil war over nullification efforts once before.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is awesome!!!

View Quote
You forgot Nevada. Several counties here are resisting as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Good! I bet the Governor and AG might try to squeeze them some how.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#39]
... I like it. I like it a lot
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exempt LEO?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's impressive.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Go get 'em fellas.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#43]
That is great to hear!

There are several sheriffs in MD who would do the same
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Good stuff. This is how we win.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#46]
The left sure has US fighting us. Divide and conquer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#47]
The major cities are quickly becoming the Capital fro Hunger Games.  They are there to reap the spoils of all other districts labors and suppress the rights and outburst from the commoners.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder what “parts” El Paso will enforce
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wonder what “parts” El Paso will enforce
View Quote
El Paso County declares itself a "2nd amendment preservation county"

The county passed what's called a "2nd amendment preservation resolution".

That does not make El Paso a sanctuary county.

The difference falls on if a county will follow the law if it passes or not. El Paso will follow the rules even if it's commissioners have publicly said they don't like them, but they will fight it in court, instead of ignoring it.

Sheriff Bill Elder has publicly opposed the bill, and says he and county commissioners plan to obtain an injunction based on their belief that there are violations to the u.s. constitution should the bill pass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The major cities are quickly becoming the Capital fro Hunger Games.  They are there to reap the spoils of all other districts labors and suppress the rights and outburst from the commoners.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top