Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/17/2019 10:52:19 PM EDT
I once used to moonlight as a framing carpenter. Even built my own house later, so I've seen and used different Skillsaws.  The one I've owned for the last ten years was a cheap Black and Decker that replaced my previous cheap Black and Decker. The fence on this thing is flimsy and I've about tired of making crooked cuts because of the flexibility of the fence.  Back when I was doing side work in construction, the best saws then were the Makitas. The best in those lot were the worm drive Makitas.

I don't want to use the heavier worm drive saws, but I would like a nicer direct drive that has a dead rigid fence. A fence that when adjusted to 22 degrees, stays at 22 degrees.  I've been out of the field for years. Are the Makitas still considered the best in the upper class of Skillsaws? I'm looking for fairly light weight, but one that does not move from where it is set. Some of the work I have planned will be rough decorative cuts on standing deck posts. If you've done this before, you know of what I speak.

I was making posts for a reloading bench today and ruined a couple of cuts because the flimsiness of the old cheap saw. You current carpenters have some favorites you'd recommend?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious tag
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Skilsaw worm drive...

Although the new cordless stuff out there is pretty intriguing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Makita This one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Bosch worm drive, been using mine for a living for 15 years and going strong.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Makita.
None better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Skill Mag 77.

Everything else is meh.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skilsaw worm drive...

View Quote
I have a wormdrive and a sidewinder  Skilsaw but I always find myself using my Rigid cordless/brushless more.

ETA not a carpenter
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Skilsaw worm drive...

View Quote
I've already got a full set of 18v Makita cordless stuff (drill, impact drill and sawzall) but I want a corded saw for this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Makita This one.
View Quote
Not a bad price.  The fence looks different than the older ones I have used, but looks solid. Not a bad price, either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've already got a full set of 18v Makita cordless stuff (drill, impact drill and sawzall) but I want a corded saw for this.
View Quote
We use Milwaukee 18v for cordless. Skill Mag 77s for corded. They compliment each other well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Makita This one.
View Quote
Love mine lots of power and strong fence.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bosch worm drive, been using mine for a living for 15 years and going strong.
View Quote
Bosch makes some quality equipment.  I've used a Boschhammer hammer drill at work for ten years and our crew of monkeys has not destroyed it yet. I'm not interested in a heavy worm drive though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Skill Mag 77.

Everything else is meh.
View Quote
Not familiar with that particular model. I will check it out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Chopsaw for best accuracy. I use one for framing, Its a little slower but much better. After 30 years, I don't care about speed, I want accurate, clean cuts. Direct drives depend on the cheap bearing in the motor to keep the blade from wobbling. They often fail early causing a wobbly blade which in turn makes it hard to cut straight. If weights a concern, get a Skil 77magnesium.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Makita This one.
View Quote
NO
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We use Milwaukee 18v for cordless. Skill Mag 77s for corded. They compliment each other well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second mention of the Skill 77. I will investigate.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Chopsaw
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Chopsaw for best accuracy. I use one for framing, Its a little slower but much better. After 30 years, I don't care about speed, I want accurate, clean cuts. Direct drives depend on the cheap bearing in the motor to keep the blade from wobbling. They often fail early causing a wobbly blade which in turn makes it hard to cut straight. If weights a concern, get a Skil 77magnesium.
View Quote
I've got a compound miter chop, but a future project will involve some rough decorative cuts on the deck after the poles are up and nailed down. Plus, I just need a new, better saw to sit on the horses.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
NO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Makita This one.
NO
Care to expound on that NO? Reasons?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got Skils, but wanted a new saw last summer for a project and bought a Rigid. No complaints,  at work we're using cordless Makita 36v 7.25" saws. They're not bad at all.

ETA 10 years ago Bosch was just a 15amp version of a skil77. Literally the same company, just a different line of products  with better motors and slightly different aesthetics.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I once used to moonlight as a framing carpenter. Even built my own house later, so I've seen and used different Skillsaws.  The one I've owned for the last ten years was a cheap Black and Decker that replaced my previous cheap Black and Decker. The fence on this thing is flimsy and I've about tired of making crooked cuts because of the flexibility of the fence.  Back when I was doing side work in construction, the best saws then were the Makitas. The best in those lot were the worm drive Makitas.

I don't want to use the heavier worm drive saws, but I would like a nicer direct drive that has a dead rigid fence. A fence that when adjusted to 22 degrees, stays at 22 degrees.  I've been out of the field for years. Are the Makitas still considered the best in the upper class of Skillsaws? I'm looking for fairly light weight, but one that does not move from where it is set. Some of the work I have planned will be rough decorative cuts on standing deck posts. If you've done this before, you know of what I speak.

I was making posts for a reloading bench today and ruined a couple of cuts because the flimsiness of the old cheap saw. You current carpenters have some favorites you'd recommend?  Thanks.
View Quote

I’ve used Makitas more than any other (DeWalt, B&D, P/C, battery DeWalt, Makita)

I find myself always longing for the Makita 5007 DD, blade on the right. I can cut 6” circles with that thing and is comfortable for me as I’ve used those the most.

Haven’t used worm drive in much of a capacity.
Although am looking to get the flex volt worm drive to compliment the direct drive 7 1/4” flexvolt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Makita This one.
View Quote
Came here to post this. It was the one most recommended by friends that use them to put food on their table.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ll vote for Bosch. I have a cheap Porter Cable that does ok as a backup but the Bosch is very nice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Came here to post this. It was the one most recommended by friends that use them to put food on their table.
View Quote
Those are good saws. I personally use this Milwaukee and a Skill 77..Milwaukee’s have always been good, I loved their older drop foot one (6405?), which I used for years. This one is an excellent saw that I’ve had about 20 years now, I believe I bought it in ‘99.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
If you already have Makita 18v stuff, this is the saw you want. Corded stuff is like using a flip phone nowadays. Nobody is innovating flip phones and the same goes for corded saws.

MAKITA 18V Rear Handled Circular Saw XSR01
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#26]
All we use at work are 8 1/4 blade worm drive skill saws I believe it's the biggest one they make ,heavy as fuck  I wouldn't want to be climbing around a roof with one
I always liked the porter cable mini boss because it had the blade on the same side that I'm used to but the problem with that is you can only put a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 inch blade on those
the one area technology hasn't caught up to is in the skill saw world apart from cordless stuff , you would think someone would have come up with a much lighter big saw by now .
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is literally the saw that built modern America.

Amazon link. $189.00

Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Makita.dont skimp on the blade either
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Great for drop cutting framing material or timber, but still heavy for a general pupose saw in my opinion and I have one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Great for drop cutting framing material or timber, but still heavy for a general pupose saw in my opinion and I have one.
View Quote
If the Mag is too heavy, maybe you should start working out more.

He has an 18v if he wants light and fast.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the blade on the left Bosch
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Cordless with the best reviews.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
They’re still 5Ibs heavier than a typical side winder and best used drop cutting because of the narrow foot, the rear handle and the added weight. I’ve used alot of saws over 35 years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#34]
One of the better framing crews I work with from time to time swear by these. They're well balanced and light feeling in the hand.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS577X1-FLEXVOLT-Style-Battery/dp/B0753PWB8P
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not a bad price.  The fence looks different than the older ones I have used, but looks solid. Not a bad price, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Makita This one.
This is the one. I used it (and one with a slightly different base) in earnest years ago as a framing carpenter. It’s light and well balanced, tough, and the fence doesn’t interfere with compound angle cuts like some other brands.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Came here to post....this.
Spend a few bucks more and get the magnesium case. Much lighter.
The 10" Skil portable table saw is outstanding as well. Same wormdrive power as the framing saws.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They’re still 5Ibs heavier than a typical side winder and best used drop cutting because of the narrow foot, the rear handle and the added weight. I’ve used alot of saws over 35 years.
View Quote
Sidewinders are for homeowners. I’m surprised a pro contractor with 35 years of experience would bother breathing that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you already have Makita 18v stuff, this is the saw you want. Corded stuff is like using a flip phone nowadays. Nobody is innovating flip phones and the same goes for corded saws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4nsLuGo77E
View Quote
Looks like a nice saw, but I don't want cordless, left side blade or a heavy worm saw. I love just about all my power tools to be cordless and I already use those exact batteries, but I want my horse saw to be corded.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon link. $189.00

https://www.acmetoolstore.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/catalog/products/original/0DAE16BF-FD79-43C9-8F20-54BFC6AA45C9.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dQTWFHa2L._SL1000_.jpg
Left blade, heavy worm saw, but looks nice, well built. Does have a strong looking fence, though.  BTW, what is that U shaped bar thing on the right side?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Makita.dont skimp on the blade either
View Quote
I've still got the same Pirannah blades I bought like ten years ago. Two, still unused. What's the newest, bestest these days for general combo work?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One reason my old ass is looking for a lighter saw was from the arthritis instilled in my right wrist making an Estwing framing hammer sing on assembling stud walls. My ball caps (the ones I wear working) have all had the the plastic buttons  on top removed from staying a piece of plywood or drywall up in place with my cranium. Those little buttons are hell on a skull if you've been there, done that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:08:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sidewinders are for homeowners. I’m surprised a pro contractor with 35 years of experience would bother breathing that.
View Quote
I am currently a homeowner, but I did sling a hammer for several years for a paycheck. My stint took a toll on my body. I can imagine 35 years at it would take a bigger toll, so a lighter saw might also be appreciated by a seasoned pro. The hammer I slung also demoted me from .40SW, to wimpy 9mm, but it still will get the job done.

Oh crap....I just turned my own thread into a 9mm vs .40 deal.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon link. $189.00

https://www.acmetoolstore.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/catalog/products/original/0DAE16BF-FD79-43C9-8F20-54BFC6AA45C9.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dQTWFHa2L._SL1000_.jpg
... but now just a name brand owned by the Chinese Chervon Group.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Skilsaw worm drive...

View Quote
worm drive for serious work, battery powered makita for other stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:49:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All we use at work are 8 1/4 blade worm drive skill saws I believe it's the biggest one they make ,heavy as fuck  I wouldn't want to be climbing around a roof with one
I always liked the porter cable mini boss because it had the blade on the same side that I'm used to but the problem with that is you can only put a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 inch blade on those
the one area technology hasn't caught up to is in the skill saw world apart from cordless stuff , you would think someone would have come up with a much lighter big saw by now .
View Quote
with a pinned up blade guard.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:00:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Left blade, heavy worm saw, but looks nice, well built. Does have a strong looking fence, though.  BTW, what is that U shaped bar thing on the right side?
View Quote
It's a fold out hook for hanging it on 2x lumber
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Learn something new, every day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:39:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm right handed and prefer the blade on the left side so I can watch my cut line. My Porter Cable saws are still going strong from 15 to 20 years ago. Not sure what's out there now but I know I'll never buy a blade on the right circular saw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Makita This one.
View Quote
Came to post this. And a Diablo blade
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top