Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 5:57:40 AM EDT
Hey guys!!  Merry christmas!

OK, I'm not the sorry bastard here for waiting so long, I am getting the gift for my Dad to give to my Grandad; he was the one whom put this off til Christmas eve...

Anyways, Korean War Vet (US Army) and is about 72.  Big guy, just getting over major medical problems and don't do much anymore.

Dad suggested maybe a book on our local hometown, but I'd like to find him a gift that may provoke him to "do something" as he doesn't get around much.  Maybe something to get him a little more active.  Around $50 or less.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
A book on your hometown sounds pretty good, or maybe a gift certificate to a bookstore.
If he drives at all, I would suggest a gas gift card. Every one I've given I know has been used, and maybe he'd go out driving more to use it up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Ensure Plus with Fiber.  Dont laugh, it will provide extra calories and keep him regular! Really good for the old geezers
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Hooker.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It is too late to get one for Christmas,but I got my Dad a Sure Fire light.  A yellow nitrolon light was 29 dollars and a box of batteries was 15 more.

Yellow is good, easy to see and at 80, my dads tactical days are behind him. He wanted a small bright lite for finding little things he dropped.

See if they have any programs for seniors/vets available locally.  I looked for stuff that required a little walking and some brain exercise as well.  Local tours, movies, plays and vet functions.  The more active he is the happier and longer you will have him.  My dad slacked off years ago and it shows, the effects on his abilities and health were noticable.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If there is any place to fish nearby he can go to get him some fishing rod/reel and some lures.  Fishing is good for the soul.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If there is any place to fish nearby he can go to get him some fishing rod/reel and some lures.  Fishing is good for the soul.
View Quote

good advice.  Fishing keeps me out of prison....well, the booze helps too.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Take him fishing, for a drive, or to church.

at 72 and in less than perfect health, I imagine spending time with his children and grand children is more important than any gadget/gift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top