Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 2:17:43 PM EDT
Does anyone have opinions on the new AR-180B's from Armalite?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just as accurate as a Mini-14 Ruger, then again [b]"it was never intended to be a tack driver."[/b]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just as accurate as a Mini-14 Ruger, then again [b]"it was never intended to be a tack driver."[/b]
View Quote

I read reviews that compared its accuracy as even better than AR's.  www.cruffler.com
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of discussion [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=62]here[/url].

[i]Edited to fix my sloppy board code.[/i]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I read reviews that compared its accuracy as even better than AR's.  www.cruffler.com
View Quote

After reading the same reviews, I bought the rifle in hopes of duplicating the test results.
Reality was much different and Armalite's only response to my issues were [b]"it was never intended to be a tack driver."[/b]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh.  Well thanks for the info, it was high up on my list of things to get.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

After reading the same reviews, I bought the rifle in hopes of duplicating the test results.
[red]Reality[/red] was much different and Armalite's only response to my issues were [b]"it was never intended to be a tack driver."[/b]
View Quote

Maybe your reality, but mine is as accurate as a normal AR15 type.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps it is just shooter error.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be impossible.
I know for a fact that you have to be able to shoot .250MOA ("If I do my part...") to be a member of AR15.com...!
[BD]...!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess that three different shooters could be F*UCKed up, but I doubt it!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Which 3 would that be?  I have only seen 1 say that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Let's see, those shooters would be #1 myself, #2 my oldest son & #3 my middle son.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it is a chrome moly barrel, thus requiring a break-in, unlike a chrome lined barrel.  Did you break it in properly?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, it is a chrome moly barrel, thus requiring a break-in, unlike a chrome lined barrel.  Did you break it in properly?
View Quote

Not only did I break it in properly, I tried three different kinds of ammo after break-in...Hell I can't even get a zero with the scope/mount from Armalite!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
All I can say it that I have had no problem zeroing iron sights or scope on my 180B and it shoots about 1.5-2 MOA.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All I can say it that I have had no problem zeroing iron sights or scope on my 180B and it shoots about 1.5-2 MOA.
View Quote

[shock]
I knew it was a bad sign when production was halted, the original order was lost and nine months were added to the order and it took a call to Judy W. to receive my rifle.

This is not a slam against Armalite, because I have met Mark & Judy W. at GS'03 & I also own two additional Armalite products...1 AR50L & 1 Eagle Arms AR10.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
That sucks Brat. Anyway, I've heard mostly good responses of it, and after reading several reviews and asking Armalite several questions about it, I think it's worth buying. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That sucks Brat. Anyway, I've heard mostly good responses of it, and after reading several reviews and asking Armalite several questions about it, I think it's worth buying. Thanks.
View Quote

I wish you the best of luck! Remember, with any mass produced item, anything can happen!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Tank, I've been thinking about the same thing. Traded emails with Armalite, though, and they're thinking about a carbine-length barrel in '04. If the AWB sunsets, they might also consider reviving the (truly) folding stock, too.

I'm still liking the idea but I might wait until 4Q-'04. Don't know how much of a hurry you're in....
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Let's see, those shooters would be #1 myself, #2 my oldest son & #3 my middle son.
View Quote

Like father like sons?

[peep] [:D]

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine shoots well, and I didn't break it in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Remember...

The AR-180 = AR-18 = all the bad parts of the AK merged with an AR base design....

Basically, it's 'What the AK47 would be if invented by Stoner'...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Remember...

The AR-180 = AR-18 = all the bad parts of the AK merged with an AR base design....

Basically, it's 'What the AK47 would be if invented by Stoner'...
View Quote

That's some pretty inaccurate info there. The AR-180 was designed to compete with the AR-15 design after the rights were sold to Colt because of the pattented Stoner designed gas system. It says so right on the Armalite website [BD].
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I purchased a 180B earlier this year. Love the gun as a carbine. Disappointed with a few things.

As originally received the rifle shot 18-20 inches high. I could barely get the front sight high enough to get my rounds on paper at 100 yards. The front post on the gun is half the height of a stock AR15 front post. One of the gun rag authors had mentioned that his 180B test subject shot low and that Armalite would correct this with a shorter post. My rifle received the shorter post.

After 300 rounds through the rifle I could not remove the firing pin from the bolt carrier to disassemble the carrier for cleaning. The firing pin needs to be removed before the bolt cam pin can be removed. Once the cam pin is removed then the bolt can be removed from the carrier for cleaning. Basically same disassembly procedure as AR15. The problem is that the hammer peened over the metal at the end of the firing pin hole thereby captivating the firing pin. I would have had to use a file to open up the firing pin hole just to get the pin out.

I removed the upper forend hand guard to access and remove the operating link pieces to clean the aluminum piston. Low and behold the piston was backed out/unscrewed from the front sight base by one or two turns, kinda like the piston was not properly torqued.

I called Armalite and talked to Neal concerning my sighting and disassembly problems and the loose piston. Neal stated that some bolt carriers did not get properly heat treated. He told me to send the complete bolt/carrier assembly into Armalite and that the company would send me a new replacement bolt/carrier group along with a regular size front sight post. Neal also told me that some of the pistons on the guns may unscrew at times from the base and just use a proper sized open end wrench to retighten it.

I installed the new parts once received and tightened the piston. The piston now stays tight. The front sight post is a regular AR15 size post. Now I need to have the front post screwed all the way down to hit paper. My original install caused the rifle to shoot too low.

I've put an additional 500 rounds down range and have not cleaned the bolt carrier group once. Of course the rifle has not been cleaned or lubed either since the new bolt carrier group has been installed. I'm going to see how many rounds I can put down range before the firing pin refuses to come out of the carrier. Right now the firing pin can be removed and the carrier assembly completely disassembled for cleaning but the hammer is once again peening over the firing pin hole.

NOTE: The bolt and carrier do not get near as dirty as an AR15 design but thats because of the piston/link operation instead of the gas impingement operation.

Yes my rifle is not a tack driver. Very wide groups @ 100 yards. Shoots way different between cold and hot barrel. Kinda like my
Mini-14. I've only shot S&B .223, Federal XM193 and Israeli surplus ammo through it at this time.

I like this rifle better than my Mini-14, just wish its overall length was shorter.
I'd purchase another one if the rifle was better accuracy wise and the hammer did not peen the firing pin hole metal. To me its a great lightweight carbine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a chance to buy an original Armalight AR-18 for $700,I shoulda bought it!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Hindsight is always 20/20 mattel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen GI_Brat shoot before.
Its not the shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top