Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 11:48:23 AM EDT

It dawned on me over the weekedn, they are coming....

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
They also look kinda like the original robot people on the animatrix who go on to crush humans, turning us into batteries.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Try this one. Positronic brain and all.

[url]http://www.irobotnow.com/index.php[/url]

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If we can keep it under control, a few terminators could come in handy.

www.irobotnow.com/index.php
View Quote

These guys need to get together with the Real Doll people.[naughty]

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://a340.g.akamaitech.net/7/340/34/7fed331a72d11b/dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20031215/gallery/robot4.jpg[/img]
Aww shit, now they have metrosexual robots...

Quoted:
It dawned on me over the weekedn, they are coming....
[url]http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200312/03-060E/image/20031218_qrio.jpg[/url]

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont know about anyone else but I seen a video of these dancing and walking around and they creep me out.

It wont be long before we see something like that, armed and remotely operated via video being used in all kinds of conflicts. From entering buildings ahead of tac teams to knocking on doors instead of cops, it will happen IMHO.

Before the replies with millions of links to robots already in use, I am referring to a humanoid types that walk, talk, and interact very much like a person. I would think that would touch more of a nerve then say a tracked unit.
Add Arnolds voice and...
CH

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24362&iGalleryUnq=611&iImageUnq=20805[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
We already got one for governor.

CW
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
And then again....have you ever seen the movie Bicentennial Man, with Robin Williams?

A very different picture indeed.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Skynet will never exist.

It is impossible to build a simple SERVER that will stay running for more than 24 hours without attention. Just try to leave on vacation when you own a website.

How then could we build a Network like Skynet that will stay running long enough to carryout its plans for world domination?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Skynet will never exist.

It is impossible to build a simple SERVER that will stay running for more than 24 hours without attention. Just try to leave on vacation when you own a website.

How then could we build a Network like Skynet that will stay running long enough to carryout its plans for world domination?
View Quote

Hm, my solaris boxes run for over a year without me having to do a damn thing (except clear off disk space as necessary, if I need to bring down a large bit of source code or something...)

Boxes that are properly set up can run for a long time without people interfering with them. We have a couple machines with more than 1000 days uptime, most of which haven't been logged into for most of that time.

It all depends on who built it, and who's running it...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skynet will never exist.

View Quote

Hm, my solaris boxes run for over a year without me having to do a damn thing (except clear off disk space as necessary, if I need to bring down a large bit of source code or something...)

Boxes that are properly set up can run for a long time without people interfering with them. We have a couple machines with more than 1000 days uptime, most of which haven't been logged into for most of that time.

It all depends on who built it, and who's running it...
View Quote

Then the problem with THIS site is what??
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Skynet may never be, but the ability for men to use technology for the wrong reasons will get us close.
An evil mind mixed with hi-tech is something we will have to deal with in the future. Weither its long range, GPS guided unmanned plane(Which already exists)or 6 inch long remote control unit designed to deliver Bio WMD, from accross the world via the net, we wil likely see things like this in our lifetimes.

CH
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If we can keep it under control, a few terminators could come in handy.

www.irobotnow.com/index.php
View Quote

These guys need to get together with the Real Doll people.[naughty]
View Quote

[LOLabove]

But when it crashes and goes from "fun" mode to "roto-rooter" mode you will wish you just got a girlfriend!

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Then the problem with THIS site is what??
View Quote

a) the people who run this site may not be computer geeks like I am.
b) they may not be running a unix-based OS.
c) they may have a large amount of "computer-educated" (read: schmucks) people who read this sight, and do not agree with it's members. And then try to crash it, hack it, etc.
d) the people who run this site are NOT full-time computer people such as myself, and cannot make a living wage by running this sight, and this site alone.

Now, had this site been paying for a full-time sysadmin to run it and it alone (databases, links, etc...we're talking easily $120k a year), then yes, you'd never have downtime save for things outside of it's control (such as datalink issues (the data links get severed), or power issues (the power goes out for more than 12 hours, which means the diesel generators and UPS's get drained)). And even then, things would be iffy.

Hey, it's a different world, being a sysadmin. This place has remarkable uptime, given it's content. I wouldn't complain about it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24362&iGalleryUnq=611&iImageUnq=20805[/url]
View Quote

Don’t count. He’s a cyborg.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Why SkyNet will never take over.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24362&iGalleryUnq=611&iImageUnq=20810[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Skynet will never exist.

View Quote

If you are running MicroSquish.  But Linux and the other Unix OS's are totally different.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Multiple-redundant hardware, industry-strength hardware and operating systems, self-organizing, self-programming, self-healing networks, ... all available now.

At any rate, when was the last time the complete Internet was down? How about "never"? Does "never" sound good? Just /one/ computer is not the 'Net. If /this/ website, arfcom, goes down, everybody runs and meets at Pre-Ban.com instead, right? None of the users actually died, or stopped functioning, right? And the group of arfcom regulars didn't cease to exist either, right? And nobody forgot how to type in English or how to wipe his ass. Some of them may even be self-aware!
Now look at the users as independent programs, and their combined knowledge, such as it is, as a huge database, and whatever the mass of users of arfcom and pre-ban, and rec.guns do in /real life/ as the actions of a programmed entity like Skynet. You drag one arfcom user off to the madhouse, the rest just keeps going on. The crowd takes note, possibly alters it's behavior according to new conditions.
Shall I go on?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Some crazy stuff here

[url]http://www.androidworld.com/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, keep in mind this is the first day of my vacation. My last vacation was about 3 years ago, I'm drunk on a very good Merlot, thank goodness for spell checkers. But, the computers of today, and tomorrow are missing conscienceness, self-awareness. I don't think they will ever have it.

I'm a programmer, I love computers, but they have their limitations.

A good read, also a tough read is [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195106466/qid=1072148085/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4282188-1259003?v=glance&s=books[/url]

It looks at a computers ability to become self-aware. I'm not quite through it yet. But it is interesting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why SkyNet will never take over.

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24362&iGalleryUnq=611&iImageUnq=20810[/url]
View Quote

Thats what they tried in the Matrix. Thanks but I'll fight the robots to die, not to be turned into electricity. Although a Matrix program with me and every girl that I think is hot would be pretty cool....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top