Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 9:56:23 AM EDT
GD afraid of guns!? A few days ago I was talking to a girlfriend of a friend o mine. Eventually guns came up. Cause they know I like guns. Now she said that when they get a place together "He can have one gun so long as its locked up and completely out of my sight"!

I just want to know what the hell makes some people so GD afraid of firearms? Now she did say the he could have something, but still its to the point where its useless for defense, a reason I think that he wants to buy one. To the best of my knowledge I don`t think she had any serious problems where a firearm was involved.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Why are some people so afraid of guns?

Because some people are stupid.  They're called liberals.  They're also afraid of getting a job, earning their keep, wiping their ass...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]
They will always tell you one of two things:
1) They had a really bad experience with guns.  This runs the gamut from they watched a friend die, to an abusive boyfriend who stuck a pistol in their mouth.
2) They are scared merely of the possibility.  They watch the news, apply the worst case scenario to their own life, and then want to be protected.
Fear of guns, either concrete or abstract.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok Doublefeed how do they propose to protect themselves?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Lack of knowledge.

Sometimes the mind can be a terrible thing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
They hope.  They hope that somebody will be there to help them when they need it.  This group depends on society to help them, because that is what society is there for.
Or, they deny that they will ever need it.  "Nothing like that ever happens around here."  This group doesn't have experience with the sheer number of things that can go wrong at the same time.
Or, they deny that any level of preparation will ever be sufficient.  All preparation would be futile, because the event that you never thought of will happen.  This third group is prepared to die already.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
when they get a place together
View Quote

Your friend needs to can that idea immediately and with extreme prejudice. This sound like the kind of woman that will keep his pecker locked up in a box right next to her vibrator. He'll have to ask her every time before he can take it out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Have your friend tell his GF that all his guns are just small components to a single large gun.  Or add to your own collection.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
My GF hates the shit out of my guns, and I can't convince her otherwise. It's just an ignorance thing, she wasn't brought up around guns at all so it's hard to get through to her. All the usual arguments don't work one bit, a classic case of the anti-gun mindset. She says I'm crazy, but then I just comment on her plethora of $400+ purses and bags and that's that. She even hates my Mark II and says I'm under-compensating for my huge dick.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Makes waves in their comfort zone.  A big knife would have the same effect.

It forces them to face the fear that comes with having chosen to be prey, not a predator.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
People in general fear things that they don't understand. People fear "assault weapons" because they don't understand that they're nothing more and nothing less then a semi auto rifle that shoots a ctg. with about the same power as a 30/30Win. lever gun. Show them a Winchester and they think cowboys and the wild west, show them an AKM and they think terrorist because that's what they've seen on TV. TEACH them that under their skin both guns are about the same, power wise, and that just because a gun can shoot alot of bullets fast it doesn't make it a better gun and they'll wise up and not fear them any more. I'd much rather face a half assed terrorist with an AK that doesn't know how to shoot as to go up against Byron Ferguson and his long bow.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
223spree, print this & give it to her (assuming she's literate=)...

[url]www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=62[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lack of knowledge.

Sometimes the mind can be a terrible thing.
View Quote

Yup.

A college roommate had a saying "You only fear what you don't understand."  [:D]

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
how nice of her to [b]let him[/b] have something.  run for the hills!  my gf accidentally uttered those words once.  nobody let's me [i]have[/i] anything.  i buy whatever i want end of story.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know why...I had a girlfriend who used to spend a lot of nights in my apartment. One day she decided not to go into work and stayed at my place for the day. She started to clean my place and came upon my Sig 220. After that she didn't want to stay at my place and wanted me to stay at her place. Obviously that relationship didn't go much farther after that incident. I'm the same person before she found the gun, why did she change so damn much?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an uncle who keeps a pistol in the house "because it makes him and his wife feel safer". But he never shoots it. If fact, I don't think he shot it once since he bought it.
He doesn't like guns, but acknowledges he needs one for protection.

He is more at risk than someone who doesn't have a gun at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top