Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 3/2/2019 11:58:05 PM EDT
F-35Bs bombed ISIS in Iraq and Syria for 50 days, better availability rates and combat flight hours

"They were very active and did very well," he told Military.com. "As the MEU commander, anytime I see aircraft flying that much, I get concerned about what the breaking point is going to be. But there's no breaking point with these guys; they just crushed it."

The Marines spent more than seven months deployed to the Pacific and Middle East. The F-35B detachment was assigned to the 13th MEU, which operated from aboard the amphibious assault ship Essex. It was the first time the Marine Corps' variant of the stealth jet, which can take off and land vertically, deployed to the Middle East.

The F-35B's first combat strike was in Afghanistan in September, where the Marine pilots were flying close-air support missions, said Lt. Col. Kyle Shoop, VMFA-211's commanding officer.

From there, they flew more than 50 days' worth of close-air support and defensive counter-air missions in Iraq and Syria.

"Every day, [the pilots] were supporting over six hours of time in theater," Shoop said.
View Quote
The F-35Bs were able to give troops on the ground more information than would have been possible in the AV-8B Harrier jump jet, which the Joint Strike Fighter will eventually replace. Its sensors are better in poor weather, Shoop said.

The Marines ended up flying the F-35B about twice as much as the Harrier flew on past deployments, Nelms said.

"A conservative estimate is the F-35 flew 100 percent more hours on this deployment than a typical deployment for a Harrier squadron," he said. "When you consider that their readiness was 75 percent or better ... while doubling the amount of flight hours being flown, it's a real testament to the aircraft and the maintainers."
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The F-35B detachment was assigned to the 13th MEU, which operated from aboard the amphibious assault ship Essex.
View Quote
That's got to be a bit of a quantum leap in aerial strike capability over the Harrier for that LHA (LHD?).
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it really a shock that a brand new aircraft can run longer without major breakage compared to 30yr old harrier airframes that are cobbled together from cannibalized parts?

That doesn't really give any indication whether it's a success, just that it's not an immediate failure.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's got to be a bit of a quantum leap in aerial strike capability over the Harrier for that LHA (LHD?).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F-35B detachment was assigned to the 13th MEU, which operated from aboard the amphibious assault ship Essex.
The USMC went from flying and maintaining aging baby Hornets and Harriers....

....to operating a more capable, LHD-deployable, VSTOL 5th Gen Omnirole Fighter that will decimate any other operational air threat used by foreign nations, penetrate all known IADS, TGT all surface threat profiles, and they're just barely getting used to the capabilities of the aircraft.

The thing that surprised me about this news is that the F-35B is the most difficult F-35 to maintain due to the additional complexity of the lift fan, doors, and tighter routing spaces for connective lines and cables that run from the forward fuselage to the rest of the aircraft.

Because they carry so much fuel internally, they can stay on station for a longer time, but I didn't expect them to have these kinds of availability rates and combat hours already. They've been very quiet about the operational use of this in Syria and Iraq, only telling about the Taliban bombing missions in A-Stan last year.

Turns out they've been working with the gloves off against ISIS in the Syrian-Iraqi border region all along.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it really a shock that a brand new aircraft can run longer without major breakage compared to 30yr old harrier airframes that are cobbled together from cannibalized parts?

That doesn't really give any indication whether it's a success, just that it's not an immediate failure.
View Quote
75% availability rates for the most complex F-35 in the fleet and more mission duration due to superior aerodynamics and internal fuel capacity, with far great weapons payload capability at the same time, and far better situational awareness and communications/interoperability with US and coalition ground forces, which are mostly SOF.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
It could be nothing more than a commander who ordered the F-35 to fly X mission today.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Somewhere in those numbers is a LCpl clicking away in GCSS.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It could be nothing more than a commander who ordered the F-35 to fly X mission today.
View Quote
You could order Harriers to fly those hours, but they would be much more difficult to support because they don't carry that much internal fuel, and don't have the same payload capability by a wide margin.

The F-35B is just significantly and inherently better at supporting these sortie rates and rounds on target, with much faster response time as well if you have time critical CAS or DCA.

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
So much force in the LHA's with the 35b. For most of the conflicts that we are in they are going to be huge assets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really like it when we kill bad people.
View Quote
With awesome new toys.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Members of Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 211 flew 1,200 combat hours over Iraq and Syria, "making up a considerable portion of the ordnance that was dropping in theater," said Col. Chandler Nelms, commander of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit.
View Quote
Total F-35A, F-35B, F-35C, and F-35I fleet flight time surpassed 175,000 hours by December 20th, 2018, with 355 F-35s built by that date.

Last year, Lockheed Martin produced 91 F-35s, a 100% ramp-up in production as the company pivoted from LRIP into full-rate manufacture.

At least 365 370 F-35s have been produced to-date.

The USMC already has 4 F-35B squadrons, one of which is for conversion training at MCAS Beaufort, the other 3 being Marine Fighter-Attack Squadrons, including VMFA-211.

By the end of this year, there will be at least 447 F-35s.

By the end of 2020, there will be at least 538 F-35s.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
comparing it to the Harrier isnt really the gold standard
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Good shit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Just finished my taxes this means probably paid for a couple minutes of fuel for one of those, and happy to do it!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
AV-8B in Desert Storm had a 90% availability rate.

With age, I'm sure that has come down.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The F-35B replaces the Harrier directly. Were it not for this plane, the Harrier would have been used instead.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You could order Harriers to fly those hours, but they would be much more difficult to support because they don't carry that much internal fuel, and don't have the same payload capability by a wide margin.

The F-35B is just significantly and inherently better at supporting these sortie rates and rounds on target, with much faster response time as well if you have time critical CAS or DCA.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5437ebd46bb3f79049d60606-1200-800/11819987193_11db294960_o.jpg
View Quote
But the A-10 still does a better job of being a CAS plane. Longer range and damn near as much payload. Cheaper to buy. Plus a bonus minigun
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But the A-10 still does a better job of being a CAS plane. Longer range and damn near as much payload. Cheaper to buy. Plus a bonus minigun
View Quote
Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddd it needs a full runway.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's an LHD.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
So pretty much it has longer range and no other benefits, and lacks  a lot of benefits that the F35 brings to the table.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#22]
How stealthy are they with racks of bombs on the wings?

I get it that it doesn't matter in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not from a ship it doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Forgive my ignorance, but why are we flying "defensive counter-air missions in Iraq?"

I thought we had that locked down 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aaaaaaaaaaannnndddd when have USMC Harriers ever been used operationally from a short strip like they imagined in the 1960s?  Never. F-35s will never,ever be used in that manner ashore either.

A-10s practice operating from highways so call it even but realistically,if it came to deploying from such, things would have gone so sideways that they wouldn't be flying at all either.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance, but why are we flying "defensive counter-air missions in Iraq?"

View Quote
Iran
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I am pleased.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#28]
But but but it’s gun isn’t as good!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5437ebd46bb3f79049d60606-1200-800/11819987193_11db294960_o.jpg
It packs a lot more of a gun than a mini gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Russian and Syrian AF has a bad habit of trying to bomb our outposts and SFA allies.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aaaaaaaaaaannnndddd when have USMC Harriers ever been used operationally from a short strip like they imagined in the 1960s?  Never. F-35s will never,ever be used in that manner ashore either.

A-10s practice operating from highways so call it even but realistically,if it came to deploying from such, things would have gone so sideways that they wouldn't be flying at all either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh... they do operate Harriers off of ships though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Iran
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iran
He left off the pertinent  "and Syria" part of the quote.

Keeping Syrian and to a lesser extent Russian aircraft away from US forces on the ground.

TGP footage of Syrian Su-22 shot down by USN F/A-18E
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are syrian and iranian airbases that are close to the area that isis was gettin smacked in.

Dont need them getting confused and taking out US forces.  Air cover doesnt hurt.

Others will know better
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I must admit the STOVL capabilities alone are quite impressive.

Attachment Attached File

British birds. But it sure does look sci fi doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
2009-2010 helmand providence Afghanistan.https://www.cherrypoint.marines.mil/News/Article/524748/vma-231-supports-afghanistan-operations/
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#36]
This is not to say the F-35B isn’t an amazing aircraft, but the AV-8B Harriers is a rather low baseline to use for comparison...
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is not to say the F-35B isn’t an amazing aircraft, but the AV-8B Harriers is a rather low baseline to use for comparison...
View Quote
No kidding, supposedly the Marine Corps has been trying to find a replacement for them since the 80's. One hell of an upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly what I was thinking.

"This brand-new 2018 F-350 is way betterer than the 1988 F-350 we've been using."
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I had no idea they were being used over there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no doubt that the F-35B beats the pants off the Harrier. It would be criminal if it didn't (think about that).

Badass photo, btw.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The A-10C model even sucks at CAS compared to the F-35B.

A-10 never exceed speed is 450 knots for starters.  Good luck if you're Troops In Contact.

Once on-station, it has nowhere near the Situational Awareness of the F-35.

The F-35 can delivery precision munitions from over the horizon, including salvos of independently-targeted LGBs, JDAMs, or SDB IIs, with far superior kinematics for fast time-on-target.

The A-10C even has to get close or overhead if alone to develop SA of the space before employing weapons.

Comparing the 2 in the CAS role isn't really fair to the A-10, since the A-10 should have never been born when you look at what we already had with the A-7D, which had superior low level weapons delivery capabilities to the A-10, and was far more survivable.

If we're talking about the gun in the CAS role, the conversation is in the wrong place, since the primary weapons for CAS for the A-10 have been bombs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're flying DCA over Syria to keep the Syrian Air Force away from SOF and Kurds to the East of the Euphrates.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Russian and Syrian AF has a bad habit of trying to bomb our outposts and SFA allies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Iraq?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ya, about those ‘SFA allies’....
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No kidding, supposedly the Marine Corps has been trying to find a replacement for them since the 80's. One hell of an upgrade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole JSF initially came out of a requirement/request from the USMC for a single aircraft that would replace the AV-8B and F/A-18A-D.

The USAF, brits, US Navy, and other partners got on board later, after it was determined that like with the F-4, it would be more efficient and economical/feasible to develop 3 different JSF variants with a single prime contractor, rather than trying to develop 3 different aircraft made by 3 different prime contractors.

This is why the X-35 was a VSTOL with a lot of input from the Brits and the VAAC Harrier, as well as the USAF AFTI F-16.

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Keeping Syrian and to a lesser extent Russian aircraft away from US forces on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJiE_gvZ6w
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJiE_gvZ6w
I omitted Syria because I understand why we need to fly defensive counter-air missions in Syria. And I understand how it can bleed over the border into Iraq, but I also wonder how far into Iraq we need to fly cover and if we are flying cover because of Iran, then that basically means all of Iraq is now fucked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I got nothing to add to this discussion other than I just saw this again tonight:

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Former 6222 Harrier maintainer here.

The new F35B is one impressive platform. The Rolls Royce F402 is inherently difficult to keep running, and it's no secret that parts scarcity has been a problem for years. The sooner the Harrier program is shut down, the better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Unpossible.  GD has assured me that the F35 is not capable of being used in combat and that it is the worst aircraft ever made.  We should all be appalled that the USMC has to use state of the art new aircraft that easily outperform their old cobbled together Harriers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Well done. Good stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top