Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 1:56:32 PM EDT
Alright my girlfriend sold something on Ebay and used my PayPal account. After the money was transfered into my account, I wrote her a check for it. She deposited the check at her bank, and a few days later it cleared and they gave her full access to the money. That was on 10/20/03. My bank, still hasn't taken the money from my account, and they know nothing about the check. It's been two months and I don't know what to do! Should I put a stop payment on the check and give her cash or wait until the bank says something? WTF is going on??
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It isn't unusual for an occasional check to get lost during the clearing process between the banks and the fed or correspondent banks.  If this is the case, it is possible that the check could turn back up in a month and get processed - posted to your account.  It is also possible that it posted to someone else's account at your bank and the error won't be known until that person get their statement.  At that time, their account will be credited and the check will be debited to your account as it should be.

In either case, I would recommend just continuing to carry the check as a debit in your checkbook for at least 6 months.  If you put a stop-pay on it, you will be charged and if it does clear, it will be returned and she will then be charged as well for a deposit chargeback.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The thing that I dont get is that I've written probably 5 checks since then, two of them to her, and they've all cleared.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top