Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 12:13:28 AM EDT
I'm buying a 1500 4WD with 5.3, locking rear axle and heavy duty trailering package.

I may be facing a toss-up between 2 similarly priced/equipped trucks --one with Autotrac 4WD system and one without.

My question: is the Autotrac something I should definitely get, or is it not that big a deal? I would only be towing for weekend/recreational purposes---normal city/suburb driving during the week---lots of wet Northwest roads.

My understanding is that if you are in a 4WD-ish environment (snow/backroads/farm work), you would just put it in full time 4WD and not need the AutoTrac. Am I correct in assuming that the Autotrac benefit comes during normal 2WD situations (city/suburb/highway) where it kicks in to help you out on a slick road or sharp turn?

Is it more likely to:
- keep the 4wd system "in shape thru constant exercise" or ...
- wear it out early though constant switching

I appreciate any advice from you Chevy guys--thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top