Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 10:06:41 PM EDT
Need opinion concerning Pacific EZ for a rookie 10 year old.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]

I bought my son a Sound Percusion set(about 500.00) when he was in seventh grade. From Guitar Center.
Since then, we have added crash's, rides, cow bell and double bass peddle. He still jams on it today.

Don't spend to much on a starter set. Alot of kids loose interest. Then your stuck selling it.
 They can always upgrade later. Pacific EZ should be fine. Also when buying a set you'll need the extras. Throne. boom for extra symbol etc..

This time of year you can find alot of sales.

Good luck and get him some lessons. Once a week.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I still play every chance I get, but I'm much less of the gearhead than I used to be 10-15 years ago.  Pacific EZ doesn' ring any bells, but for a 10 year old beginner, it should be fine.  (I'm assuming its a 4-5 piece set -bass, snare, 2-3 toms- at $200 or less.  Let me know if thats not the case.)  While I'd probably have him start out on just a snare to get the basics down and start building some chops, I well understand the value of a full set to keep his interest and enthusiasm.  Keep in mind, however, its a beginner set.  If he stays with it, gets some lessons, and is good about practice, you'll probably have to get him something a bit better in a year or so.

Feel free to email me if you'd like - I'd write more, but I'm pretty toasted now (bar-hopping all night).
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Carbine10. Lessons set up to start in January after the Christmas/New Years break. My oldest son plays guitar, the drums are for my 10 year old daughter. She is really ready to get going. Guitar Center has the Pacific 5pc for 299. Thats about as much as I want to spend to find out if she really wants to play. If she takes off, I will get a better brand later. I just wanted to make sure this set is a decent quality and not a giant POS.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Shaggy. Here is the set I am looking at.

[img]http://images.andale.com/f2/112/111/7410906/1071412420132_p.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.themusichype.com/store/items/percussion/drums/kits/608[/url]

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Dave -

Something I just thought of; whatever you get her, make damn sure you get her a pair of muffs or some plugs.  It can get really loud behind the set, and cymbals can do a lot of damage to your hearing (just like gunfire).  Trust me, I'm stuck with the ringing for the rest of my life; don't let her make the same mistake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I spotted a five piece set at Wally World a few nights back. I believe it was made by Pacific. It was in the box so I couldn't do my impression of John Bonham.
I believe the set was going for $200. Check your local Walmart. I sure do miss the noise.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I played for several years.  Never heard of the brand you mentioned, but since it's for a beginner, it should be fine.

I was always a Yamaha kind of guy myself.

BTW, I echo the comments about earplugs.  I have a permanent ringing in my ears, tho not from playing set.  I got it from marching drumline.  Damn rimshots and gacks! [BD]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks fellas! Never thought about hearing protection. Sounds like a stocking stuffer to me. Going to purchase the set today.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
That set looks just fine for a beginner.  I got my son a CMC Percussion kit four years ago (looks about the same as yours) and it served his needs well.  His playing has advanced to the point where I just sold it and got him a Peavey Radial Pro 751 kit for him for his birthday.

If you put some good Remo drumheads on it, it will seriously improve the sound quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top