Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 9:01:33 AM EDT
Well the unit arrived, and being the techno/mechanical neophyte that I am, I feared I would not be able to install it.  Let me tell you folks, I can not speak for all units, but the Brix Streamer was a snap to install in my vehicle with their professional install kit.

Comes with a variety of mounts, I opted to use the suction cup windown mount that positioned the unit nicely on my dash between driver and passenger, afford excellent visibility and the mount is fully adjustable.

Unit is powered through the cigarette lighter and has a wire to an externally mounted antenae, otherwise there are no other wires.  The pro kit has an FM modulator that is incorporated into the mounting bracket, so no need to buy an external FM modulator or to pull the stereo and wire the receiver into the car's antenae.

Ran the antanea from the area between the hood and trunk into the trunk, lowered the split back rear seat and ran the wire down along the seat cushion and under the seat, under the floormats, under the front seat, under the front floor mats, undid the console panel and ran the wirse inside the console up to the dash.  So very little wire showing as I ran it through the cigarette power chord up to the unit, you pretty much see one wire and that's it.

Activation on-line was a snap and the unit was running in ten minutes after installation.  Display is nice, easy to navigate and sound quality is very good even when driving through the city where there is a mot of potential radio interference for the modulator.

Overall for the $124.90 after rebate for the receiver, car kit and home kit, its probably the cheapest way to get into satellite radio.

I also can't recommend this seller highly enough if anyone else is thinking about taking the plunge.  Ordered the unit six days ago and its here and installed.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32816&item=3064359361
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have to pay a subscription fee?? Or is reception free?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Subscription is @ $10 per month.  Sirius or XM
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]
10 bux a month screw that ill stick with my ipod.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sirius is $13 a month, but it is mostly commercial free.  Ipod is one way to go, but good luck getting all the newschannels, immediate weather updates, talk radio...  Last I checked an Ipod also runs around $300 and you would either need to have a car stereo with an audio input or some type of modulator to transmit to it (not a big deal, I use a modulator for my portable dvd player in the car).

Anyway, it offers a lot that Ipod can not duplicate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
10 bux a month screw that ill stick with my ipod.
View Quote

If you tried XM or sirius, you'd think differently.  There are comedy stations that would make you piss yourself, not to mention they play NEW music you might not have heard yet.  I personally cannot wait to get XM in my car, its just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Greg, from everything I have heard... Sirius is the way to go even though a couple bucks more a month.  XM is owned by Clear Channel Communications and is much MUCH more commercial.  In addition, XM has two satellites, Sirius has three for better coverage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I heard Sirius is left-wing (lots of NPR stations and other crap which aren't on the other carrier).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I heard Sirius is left-wing (lots of NPR stations and other crap which aren't on the other carrier).
View Quote

Here is the channel listing:

[url]www.sirius.com/pdf/streamguide.pdf[/url]

Hannity is also on Sirius via ABC News & Talk.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Are there any satellite co's. that carry a relatively full line of talk radio yet?

Hannity-Rush-Howie Carr-Dr. Laura-etc., etc.?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]
To my knowledge there are two companies, XM and Sirius.  XM is owned by Clear Channels.  Sirius carries Foxnews, that's pretty non-lefty to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
ok how does it go from your receiver to your speakers?
is there cables to your stero or do you just set your radio on a certain channel?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
The car mount has an integral fm modulator that transmits it to your existing stereo, very clear sounding.  They also make one that has a cassette adaptor - won't sound as good.

Gunrunner, what the frig are you talking about?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
XM is the way to go.

Sirius is going TU very soon.
XM just registered user One Million.
Both have same number of commercialed channels.
XM sounds better (Less compression)
Sirius has slightly better programming.
XM is $9/month ($7 if you pay 3 years in advance.)
Sirius is $13/month

And the sound quality from modulators stinks. Wire it straight in like the pro's do and forget the modulator. Trust me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I just had a page long post and lost it to the internet gremlins.

Shortened version:

Both have Fox News and ABC News and Talk.

Sirius has Gay and Lesbian Talk.  XM Does not.

XM has the "America" channel whose theme song is "Beer, Bait, and Ammo" and whose head DJ guy unabashedly makes fun of liberals.  Sirius does not.

Sirius has weather divided up into 4 regions, though the local region can be pre-empted by sporting events.  XM has only one weather channel.

I have logged over 12,000 miles listening to XM.  I have only lost the signal when my 20+ rifles in my Yakimah car-top carrier - that sits right on top of my antenna - blocked the signal.  This only happened a few times, and only when headed due north.

My car in its "unarmed" stated has never lost a signal from Kansas to NY to Kentucky, to Virginia, to Florida.  I am not clear what a third satellite could improve.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
XM is the way to go.

Sirius is going TU very soon.
XM just registered user One Million.
Both have same number of commercialed channels.
XM sounds better (Less compression)
Sirius has slightly better programming.
XM is $9/month ($7 if you pay 3 years in advance.)
Sirius is $13/month

And the sound quality from modulators stinks. Wire it straight in like the pro's do and forget the modulator. Trust me.
View Quote

Where do you get Sirius is going to go tits up?  They have three satellites in orbit, trust me, if not them somebody will buy them and operate the network.  Sirius has more than a quarter million subscribers and IIRC they have not been around as long as XM.  I'm betting they will be here for awhile.

And trust me, when you have less than 50% hearing and are nearly deaf in one ear, the FM modulator sounds just fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Sirius just clinched the NFL broadcast rights....

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]
From a Popular Mechanic's article:

Unlike AM and FM antennas that can receive broadcast signals from local transmitters, satellite radio antennas must have a clear shot of a satellite to receive a signal. In densely populated areas where obstructions such as tall buildings or mountains can block the signal, line of sight may not be necessary because satellite radio providers have installed repeaters that rebroadcast the signal. Repeaters allow people to receive an uninterrupted signal under bridges and in tunnels as well.

If you're in an area where there are no terrestrial receivers to repeat the signal, the antenna needs a clear path to a satellite. Sirius's satellites are located above the Dakotas. The geo-stationary XM satellites are located above the equator in line with the United States' East and West coasts
View Quote

In other words, if you're in an area without a repeater (and tall trees, mountains, buildings, etc...the Sirius system may be better since there's a better chance of it being "line of sight" to you.  At least that's how I read it.

FWIW, I don't have either nor do I plan on getting either anytime soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top