Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2003 1:37:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for them.  All the units and schools I've been in teach that while clearing an objective or ambush kill zone, you put a couple more into any enemy wounded/apparent KIA, remove their weapons and continue to clear.  

Personally, I think the video is pretty cool.

Edited: Reading some of the comments below the video sure pissed me off though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone knows I am against the way the 'war' is being fought, but this is BS.

The whole story needs to be told here, it fries my butt, how they are showing these young soldiers.

In a real WAR, we would have went over there, killed a bunch of people, broke a bunch of things and defeated the enemy. Then left them to rebuild the vestiges of their civilization.

but I digress, this was bs.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Seeing that clip makes me feel a lot more secure about the whole situation in Iraq. Rather  than hearing the briefings early on in the war that Tommy Franks would give.  He'd always refer to his fine young "boys and girls" serving our country...

Excuse me Tom...Yeah, over here...The picture I want painted is not of some choir prisses marching around the desert.  I want to picture trigger happy, aggressive, and for a lack of a better term...Killers, defending my country. Tattooed, missing teeth, I really don't  care.  Oh, and if they have body piercings, what better place to affix a grenade?

As far as the rules of war, yes it chaps my ass that our soldiers have been executed as POWs.  It is something that shouldn't happen but damn it, WAR is HELL.  Clearly this Iraqi was in arms reach of a weapon.  Law enforcement offers are justified to disable/kill a potential threat if the threat so much as leads them to believe that their life or limb is at risk.  Why would our soldiers extend more leniancy towards this deadly threat?

There was a time when it was considered cowardly not to stand shoulder-to-shoulder while the opposing forces emptied a volley of shot at you.  To snipe from the cover of trees was dishonorable.  It was also a key to the end of the British rule of the US of A.

From my observation of the clip, this was not cold blooded murder.  It was justifiable.  The enemy soldier, while perhaps not a threat at the particular second his life was ended,  certainly was not giving up.  The nature of his wounds were not known by our soldiers.  Was it a debilitating wound that got him down?  Was his intention to fight, flee, or surrender?

If he wanted to live, he would have remained on the deck and given some sign, you know such as hands in the air, that he no longer harbored hostile intentions. But by attempting to get up, and also coming ever closer to his FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPON, he left doubt.  When in doubt, I empty the magazine and would hope that our soldiers do too. (The AK is clearly visible laying horizontally near the corner of the building feet, more like inches, away from the Iraqi)

Perhaps he wasn't a "hostile threat" but he certainly was a stupid one.

Sly
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck it....

When I was in SERE school they showed us how an edited tape can be used against you.  They take several little things, splice then together, and next thing ya know you're admitting to killing women and children.  

The media is no different.  They'll edit the hell out of anything to portray the image THEY want.  When I see stuff like that I ask "what did I miss?"  Did they not show the frames of film before that where they're convoy was ambushed by that man sticking the barrel of his AK out a window and into the driver side door of a Hummer killing everyone up front?  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Shooting an enemy combatant who is trying to flee is in accordance with both the coalition ROE and the Law of Armed Conflict.  Shooting a helplessly wounded soldier or one who is trying to surrender is in accord with neither.

It is difficult to determine exactly what was happening from the video clip.  Initially the Iraqi looked helpless, but when the Marines were shooting at him, it looked like he was trying to get away.  I also heard that this guy was caught attempting to emplace an IED.  If that is the case, there is no way for the Marines to know whether or not he was attempting to detonate something else that may have been placed earlier.

I am pretty sure that if the guy stayed flat on the deck he would have been taken prisoner.  It's not like the Marines didn't know that they had an embed with them.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Kind of reminds me of this shot....

[img]http://www.modernhumanities.org/Finalphotos/execution.jpg[/img]

Both are missing the rest of the story but are trying to make a political statement.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
TJ, I grew up with that picture popping up everywhere as a veritable "cultural icon". It horrified and disturbed me as a youngster until, (as you say) I got the whole story.  Now it makes me want to buy a lemon-squeezer! [pistol]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When I was in SERE school they showed us how an edited tape can be used against you.  They take several little things, splice then together, and next thing ya know you're admitting to killing women and children.  
View Quote

Watch the clip several times in a row. There's gaps in it.

Methinks that the Marines were yelling at him in one of the skipped scenes, to surrender. They fired several warning shots over him before killing him, as he continued to rise up. The Marine's rifle's safety is on...

And the interview at the end... Sounds to me he's talking more about an assault where some of his friends were killed, but it "was awesome! let's do it again!" and not talking about the earlier clip.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]
SOS from the SODH.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
more propaganda from the left.  we are at war - read up on the war in the pacific during ww2.

there was a no prisoner approach - do where to keep them and the enemy wasn't taking any prisoners either.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a dupe post.  I posted last week on the same subject under the title "Marines Murder Wounded Iraqi?"

Of course they didn't murder the POS.  The tape has been doctored.  The dude was an enemy combatant that was wounded in a firefight.  After the first few engagements with Iraqi fanatics, it became clear that a wounded Iraqi would often fire on our troops after they passed.  Very soon the ROE was modified to ensure that ALL "wounded" Iraqis received a double-tap to ensure they were dead.  Not common knowledge...but a stone-cold fact.

What pisses me off is the actions and attitude of the bed-wetting, military hating, guilt-ridden, American liberals who concocted that phony video.  Yes, the Marines shot the dude...BUT...why don't we see what happened before and after?

I call BS.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What pisses me off is the actions and attitude of the bed-wetting, military hating, guilt-ridden, American liberals who concocted that phony video.
View Quote

Oh, you mean like the originator of this thread?

By the way, you forgot "cowardly".
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Hoo! Yea... What is it good fo', absolutely nuthin', oooh yeaaaa!

[:D] Couldn't resist...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In a real WAR, we would have went over there, killed a bunch of people, broke a bunch of things and defeated the enemy. Then left them to rebuild the vestiges of their civilization.

View Quote

And how many [b]"REAL WARS"[/b]have you fought in? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
[size=6][red]Talk about propaganda!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size=6][/red]
Not only took it out of context but then edited the film to get the desired results.  Thge reporters should be brought up on treason and sedition charges and SHOT!!!

Either that or they can tell the whole story which they wont do because it goes agains the COMMIE NEWS NETWORK DIRECTIVES!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
that's what ya get for watching CNN
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Methinks that the Marines were yelling at him in one of the skipped scenes, to surrender. They fired several warning shots over him before killing him, as he continued to rise up. The Marine's rifle's safety is on...

And the interview at the end... Sounds to me he's talking more about an assault where some of his friends were killed, but it "was awesome! let's do it again!" and not talking about the earlier clip.
View Quote

Methinks you are onto something.

You can clearly see several shots miss by a LARGE margin - too large at that close a range.

And yes, "it was awesome" didn't sound like he was talking about a killing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top