Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 10:12:38 PM EDT
Gotta get out of the line of work I'm in.  Wife and I decided to divorce, mutual and not very happy but can't see any other solution to our problems.  Nights cause me to loose time at home and it is not paying well and unless I buy a bar of my own(no cash at all right now). I'm at the top of the pile and the end of the road so to speak.  I dropped out of college end of Sophomore year so no degree.  Only other real work experience has been in the utility industry locating underground stuff as a territory supervisor but there's not much in the market for that right now.  I can't move and I need at least 40-45k to survive.  

Any ideas?  I was contemplating a TAR conversion for the Navy and if I was able to grab that duty for a few years at my reserve activity I'd be on it but I fear I would be sent away and that would devestate my little girl who livess with her mom.  Maybe I should try for extra duty on a full time basis without going into the Navy full-time?  

Any advice will help.

TIA
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel for you....REALLY>>.....get the divorce setteled $$ wise, Then move on, look forward not backward, (except to remind you to get a wife based on future earnings, smarts, and looks....not tits. A college diploma theses days is like a HS diploma, GET ONE!if not better. NAVY WOULD BE A GOOD START.....college $$ and all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The money you need will not allow you to start/learn a new line of work from the ground up.  Its tough to break into a new line of work with out taking a pay cut.

I was a service manager for a German car dealer I was making around pretty good money.  I didnt want to deal with all the stealing and lying from customers and employee's so I got out of cars completely.  I decided I would like to go into some kind of engineering so I took the first job that would get me into an engineering company.  That job paid $10.00 an hour [shock]. It sucked but I didn’t want to go back to cars.

I sucked everybody’s brain at work I could get a hold of.  Worked OT and learned everything I could.  I saw a needed and I filled it.  I doubled my pay rate the first two years because my bosses saw I was committed.  I can’t complain about my pay anymore, things have worked out for me.  I dont love my job sometimes I dont even like it but it is MUCH better than what I was doing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top