Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 12:48:24 PM EDT
I bought a Norelco wet/dry model a few years ago, and loved the convenience. But it sure didn't cut very close. And very tough to get it to cut on certain parts of my face.

I don't recall the exact model, but it was a bit cheaper than some ($50).

I've been shaving with a Gillette Mach razor for years.

Is there an electric razor out there that even comes somewhat close to how well a blade shaver works?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Not that Ive found.

I cant even find a good one that will do a decent job of touching up my nugget.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy the regular 3 heads Norelco, I have a thick beard and have no problems with it, a good one should cost you $60.00 and higher. I would not buy anything cheaper than that. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've tried a few, and nothing beats that damn Mach 3 razor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
No, and I have never used an electric that did not give me major 5 o'clock shadow by the end of the day. With the Mach 3 I never have that problem.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
no
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn it guys, this is not what I wanted to hear.

Come on now, I know that nothing will beat a razor.

But there isn't at least one out there that at least comes close?

Maybe I'll just start shaving twice a day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#9]
NO!
I have a Norelco 6826xl. It does a barely competent job on my cheeks and jaw, including my upper lip. Anything below the jaw line and it does a completely unacceptable job. It will not cut anything even remotely close on the neck. I only use it, to give my face a break from a blade.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll dull the blades on an electric within a week.

The Mach 3 is the only thing that I use.

I see they've come out with a 4 blade razer.

But I'm holding out for the 5 bladed one.[chainsaw]

ED
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
No, sorry.

I'm a Mach 3 man too.  I only wish the damn blades didn't cost so much.  Kudos to Gillette, though, for a brilliant business plan.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I was wondering this very thing today...brought it up to my mom.  I would have thought by now they would have come up with something.  I would pay a lot of money for one that worked and lasted.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, sorry.

I'm a Mach 3 man too.  I only wish the damn blades didn't cost so much.  Kudos to Gillette, though, for a brilliant business plan.
View Quote

I bought 80 Mach 3 blades on eBay, for $65, delivered.
Even when I was still using the Atra? system, I was buying the blades on Ebay and saving.
Try it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used TOP END BRAUN shavers for over 20 yrs. - you won't believe how close you get a shave. BUT you pay $$$$. I'm due for their SONIC, that cleans/sterilizes itself when recharging.

I have been using DRY the Gilette MACH III - I actually get a closer NICK free shave than when used with shaving cream.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
NO

[wave]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the panasonic wet/dry, cheaper model.

It works as well as any blade has on my face.

I use it dry, and use the trimmer on it to get those difficult hairs on the neck.

For $30 its the best electric I ever used.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#18]
NO... Nothing beats a good sharp twin or tri-blade razor, a shaving brush, and soapy lather as hot as you can stand it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Another-
No.
Mach 3
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:37:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have used TOP END BRAUN shavers for over 20 yrs. - you won't believe how close you get a shave. BUT you pay $$$$. I'm due for their SONIC, that cleans/sterilizes itself when recharging.

I have been using DRY the Gilette MACH III - I actually get a closer NICK free shave than when used with shaving cream.
View Quote

I bought myself the SYNCRO as an early Christ-mas present.  It does a good job, for an electric.  The cleaning mechanism is pretty cool.  It really does clean EVERY BIT of hair out of the razor.  You can see the deposits in the cleaning cartridge.

But the Mach 3 is still the best.  I use an electric for convenience.  My beard is not that thick and I get less razor bumps and ingrown hairs with the electric.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought myself the SYNCRO as an early Christ-mas present.  It does a good job, for an electric.  The cleaning mechanism is pretty cool.  It really does clean EVERY BIT of hair out of the razor.  You can see the deposits in the cleaning cartridge.

But the Mach 3 is still the best.  I use an electric for convenience.  My beard is not that thick and I get less razor bumps and ingrown hairs with the electric.
View Quote

I'm sorry, is it SYNCHRO??? Any way Brauns top end model work very well. In fact they had one in the late 70's - a corded model - that was toooooo fast too sharp for me, cut me many times.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#22]
No....I've tried a number of electric razors over the years from low priced models to top of the line, and several in between. Braun, Panasonic, Remington, and Norelco to name a few common brands and never had any luck getting a close shave. I have an extremely thick beard, you could probably light a white tip match on my face in the morning. Like many of you I was in search of a faster, easier, more portable way to shave every day but the electric razor is not the answer, well for me at least. Most of them don't shave close enough and all of them missed spots no matter how many passes I made. I would get razor burn from an electric and that should not happen. The Mach-3 traditional razor is the best so far IMO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#23]
God I wish there was. Mach 3 user here. Also have a Norelco elec. It does ok, but I sure wish I could find an elec that is as close as the Mach 3.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Okay, here's my take on this.

I have a Wahl electric which has been one of the best electric razors that I've used.  But no electric razor gives me a decent shave on my neck.

I have also used razors and currently have (IIRC) a Mach 3 at home.  No regular razor gives me a decent close shave around my chin and facial area.

My solution?  Before I take a shower I use shaving cream and the standard razor on my neck and cheeks.  Then after a shower (and my face is dry) I use the electric razor.  It's the best of both worlds.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a single-foil Braun a few years back that DIDN'T have any of the fancy pivoting head gizmos. Finest and least-irritating shave I've ever had. About 99% of what a razor gave.

Unfortunately it broke after I dropped it one too many times, and they don't seem to make it any more. Nothing else I've tried has come close. [:(]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#26]
NO!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#27]
No. I've used quite a few of the higher ends ones, and most of them don't even cut. Money wasted. I went back to a Mach 3 Turbo. The blades are expensive, but you get a damn close shave.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I have had best luck with Brauns
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had a single-foil Braun a few years back that DIDN'T have any of the fancy pivoting head gizmos. Finest and least-irritating shave I've ever had. About 99% of what a razor gave.

Unfortunately it broke after I dropped it one too many times, and they don't seem to make it any more. Nothing else I've tried has come close. [:(]
View Quote

I agree with Zaphod, this Braun single foil is the best shave going.  Hard to find in stores, it is a staple at military PX's all over the country, best thing about it, its only $9.99!!!  Radio Shack sells it for $25!  Shamus, if you want one I'll make a run to the local PX and get you one.  Let me know!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had a total of five Brauns over the past 15 years.  Three were the twin foil, one was the AA-battery portable (fantastic) and now my uber-cool Syncro.  Great shaves all of them.  The only reason I've replaced any of them (other than the lost AA-model) was that the internal battery stopped taking a charge.

The pivoting head really does work well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#31]
If it exist, I haven't found it yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#32]
there is only one way to make the Mach 3 shave better:

SHAVE IN THE SHOWER--THE LAST THING YOU DO BEFORE YOU LEAVE!! SOFT, SUPPLE, NARY A NICK!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Ive been using mach 3 turbos after my old electric razors crapped out on me....

Then i recently bought the norelco razor that dispenses the nivea lotion/gel. This sucker cuts clean and close. I can't feel bumps anywhere after a shave. Its quick, useable wet and dry, and u clean with a quick rinse of hto water.(tho u gotta dunk it in alcohol once in a while)
Best thing ive ever bought.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, sorry.

View Quote

Amen to that!  Sending you the razor and letting you realize it's the best so you have to buy those expensive blades.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top