Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 2:59:04 PM EDT
OK all you zombie know it alls, in the spirit of the upcoming remake of Dawn Of The Dead, here's a zombie question regarding Romero genre zombies:

If somebody is bitten or otherwise infected by a zombie, they become a zombie after death - this I know. What if somebody, in an isolated situation, dies of natural causes without infection? Do they return as zombies?

OK, so I'm bored.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah. In the original, a lot of dead came out of their graves.

Oh yeah, I'm bored, too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]

In "Night of the Living Dead", The dead guy in the cemetary, that hed been autopsied, was walking. So I would have to say yes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If I am not mistaken the dead are affected by extraterrestial forces.  Its not a virus or infection. Also if the way to kill these zombies was to shoot their heads how come the animals that were cut in half came back to life?  Since the brains were cut in half.  Wait this was the Night of the Living Dead.  Wrong movie!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
To turn this into a little more fun, what weapon would you want if you were holed up in a Wal-Mart with zombies all around? I mean, like in the movie zombies, not your everyday WallyWorld experience.

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.horror-asylum.com/month/rotld/rotld3.jpg[/img]

I always liked the trophy mounted half-a-dog trying to walk away in "The Return of the Living Dead"
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To turn this into a little more fun, what weapon would you want if you were holed up in a Wal-Mart with zombies all around? I mean, like in the movie zombies, not your everyday WallyWorld experience.

CW
View Quote

Inside WallyWorld is going to be close quarters combat so I'd go with a Mossberg 590.In the documentary of the Pittsburgh outbreak(Dawn of the Dead) I do remember somebody already dead coming back.

Now in the documentaries Night of the Living Dead and Return of the Living Dead they did come out of their graves.It all depends on what is causing the outbreak...T Virus,Trioxin,Meteor shower etc.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

I'd always want my M-4 copy, just because I'm used to it and know how to use it. I'd also want a shotgun, however...

One weapon I've never heard of being a good zombie weapon is a .22 cal. Think about it, .22 ammunition would probably be the most readily available ammo, it's easy to stock and carry large quantities of, and it would do the job quite well. It doesn't matter if you hit a zombie center mast with a 30.06 or a .308, he's still coming at you. You have to hit him in the head. A head shot is just as effective with a .22 as with any other caliber. Keeping this in mind, I would consider a good .22 cal rifle, like a 10/22 and a .22 semi-auto pistol necessities. This of course augmented by my M-4 and somebody else in my team with a shottie, preferably a semi-auto.

I swear, I could talk about this shit for hours!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]All[/b] corpses will turn into zombies given the proper circumstances.

However, there is a very important fact that is overlooked by most here.  A "zombie-bite" zombie is much more dangeroous than a "dead-and-buried" zombie.  This is because the zombie-bite zombie has not decayed and is in a much better physical condition than, say, a zombie that has been interred for six months or better.

Both are determined and sluggish, but the zombie-bite zombie is a much more dangerous adversary.  If you come across a human who is pending transformation into a zombie, your best bet is just to decapitate them on the spot.  The transformation process is very painful and not-to-mention, very dangerous for you.

If you have any more questions regarding zombie infestation, please feel free to ask.

J. Reno
Zombie Exterminator
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

I'd always want my M-4 copy, just because I'm used to it and know how to use it. I'd also want a shotgun, however...

One weapon I've never heard of being a good zombie weapon is a .22 cal. Think about it, .22 ammunition would probably be the most readily available ammo, it's easy to stock and carry large quantities of, and it would do the job quite well. It doesn't matter if you hit a zombie center mast with a 30.06 or a .308, he's still coming at you. You have to hit him in the head. A head shot is just as effective with a .22 as with any other caliber. Keeping this in mind, I would consider a good .22 cal rifle, like a 10/22 and a .22 semi-auto pistol necessities. This of course augmented by my M-4 and somebody else in my team with a shottie, preferably a semi-auto.

I swear, I could talk about this shit for hours!
View Quote

The only problem is if you need to engage non-zombie threats a la biker gang from Dawn of the Dead. I'd think an M4 clone would be best for zombies and non-zombies. Heck, you may could "borrow" an M4A1 if zombies were walking around.

Zombie Geek as well [frag]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]
In a Wally-World scenario, I presume you would be carryng your CCW and then have to either get to your car or to Sporting goods.

I would take a 12GA first since they have more 12 GA ammo, if I had anyone with me, I would have them loading up the hunting rifles and passing them to me.

Weatherby?
The only guy who could miss with this weapon is the guy who can afford it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the best Imbroglio bait I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is the best Imbroglio bait I've ever seen.
View Quote

That's like trying to lure a fart.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
To quote the one legged priest "When hell is full the dead shall walk the earth".  So I guess any sinner who dies shall become a zombie, but if the pope died, he won't be a zombie.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Should one endeavor to collect and dispose of zombie remains? I mean, most of them are already rotting corpses anyway, so are probably, well, gamey at best. If the town square becomes overrun with undead who then become re-dead, there's gonna be a hell of a stink. What is the proper method of zombie corpse disposal? Bunring, I suppose - a huge zombie pyre.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Should one endeavor to collect and dispose of zombie remains? I mean, most of them are already rotting corpses anyway, so are probably, well, gamey at best. If the town square becomes overrun with undead who then become re-dead, there's gonna be a hell of a stink. What is the proper method of zombie corpse disposal? Bunring, I suppose - a huge zombie pyre.
View Quote

Not in CA without a permit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd carry something lite. You will have alot of running to do. Maybe a couple of matching pistols(.45 and up)...And a sword to take their heads off
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
hmmm, flame thrower, hit them further out, adn watch them set each other on fire.......

Of course, if you could get to a base, a good tank removes the necessity of having to worry about them, just treat them like Crunchies
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#18]
heres something you never see ! a good samurai sword! never needs ammo, and all you have to do is decapitate. works on both Night of living dead AND return of living dead zombies!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Having problems with zombies?  Then you need this!
[url]http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=Zombie+Survival+Guide&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3BrequestId%3Dd5274276eea7f071%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D1%26amp%3BuserQuery%3DZombie%2BSurvival%2BGuide%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.zombiesurvivalguide.com%252F%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DNSCPResults&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zombiesurvivalguide.com%2F[/url]

I have some reservations about this book though.  In the section that covers weapons, it paints a bleak picture of the M16/AR15 as a choise.  It seems the author didn't see "Tale of the Gun" concerning this fine weapon.

Bilster
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#20]
every time i watch zombie movies (yes, my ultimate fantasy SHTF scenario), i watch it with my HK 94 A3. a great zombie gun IMO.

every body wants these big calibers, i say no. think about it; while blasting heads at a close range you're liable to get some spray/splatter in your mucus membranes (eyes). then you're screwed.

the 94; barely any recoil/quick target aquiring, pretty damn accurate, but still having skull penetrating power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top