Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 440
Posted: 12/23/2018 3:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman]
Apparently during development of the Raptor rocket engine SpaceX discovered a new super-strong cryoformed Stainless steel type alloy that allowed them to skip building it out of composites and accelerate development.

They are now building the grasshopper-type upper stage test article in Texas:

Starship/BFR will be the largest, most powerful rocket ever built
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Normally I'd agree, but apparently the very smart people in Star Trek can control gravity and inertia, so who cares where they build it...

The Expanse has ruined most of SF for me, unless it's set in the very, very far future or in a clearly alternate universe with different physical laws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
That was pure Detroit BS. They would build that puppy in space, for many reasons.

Normally I'd agree, but apparently the very smart people in Star Trek can control gravity and inertia, so who cares where they build it...

The Expanse has ruined most of SF for me, unless it's set in the very, very far future or in a clearly alternate universe with different physical laws.
I was watching Titan AE last night and laughed at the gravitational and thrust mechanics they used. Guy outside the ship gets shot and falls to the deck.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
In building this model I am learning just how massive starship is.

Are there any sources on what the plans for the interior are? I am also curious about RCS placement.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Designing-and-Building-a-LEGO-SpaceX-Starship/5-2450800/
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

The air gap that most of us imagined looks to be filled with a ceramic wool type of insulation.  So there is a gap that would allow for the flexibility you are describing.

I was more worried about the tank skin expanding with pressure and temperature.  But those struts in the tiles must help with that a lot. Looks like they are molded into the tiles. Pretty neat but may need a bit more work to get them to keep from cracking. I'm sure the engineers will figure it out. And having SN15 to study probably helps a lot. I bet they already have a new tile version for SN20 and are using up their stock
View Quote

These are the first tiles they've they've gotten back from a fully assembled high altitude flight it's almost a good thing they had some failures on them here, shows how they can improve. The tile people have probably been twittling their thumbs
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

These are the first tiles they've they've gotten back from a fully assembled high altitude flight it's almost a good thing they had some failures on them here, shows how they can improve. The tile people have probably been twittling their thumbs
View Quote

LOL - I wonder which Elon the tile engineers got: Cheerleader "move fast and break things" Elon or "death stare you f*cked up" Elon.

If you read Liftoff, the book that tells the story of SpaceX's early years (mostly thru the 1st orbital flight of Falcon 1) you get vivid examples of both Elon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PraesidiumFabrica:

Are there any sources on what the plans for the interior are? I am also curious about RCS placement.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Designing-and-Building-a-LEGO-SpaceX-Starship/5-2450800/
View Quote

When I was talking about Starship with my kid, I ran a tape measure out to 30 feet. If you want to have your mind blown, make a 30ft circle in your front yard. That's the footprint of the Starship.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Monday morning bump.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

They should land one on Jeff Bezos
View Quote

Fify
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone here have the L2 subscription on NASASpaceflight forum? Is it worth it?

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Beo:

When I was talking about Starship with my kid, I ran a tape measure out to 30 feet. If you want to have your mind blown, make a 30ft circle in your front yard. That's the footprint of the Starship.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beo:
Originally Posted By PraesidiumFabrica:

I realized it was big but didn't look up dimensions until now.  SN15 is 9m in diameter and 50m tall, that's a big freaking rocket.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:
Anyone here have the L2 subscription on NASASpaceflight forum? Is it worth it?

View Quote

I've wondered the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Fan rendering of Superheavy coming in for a landing:

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#12]
That is going to be one wild situation....slight error and no catch = big boom!  But when it does catch the booster, wow...out of this world!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:
That is going to be one wild situation....slight error and no catch = big boom!  But when it does catch the booster, wow...out of this world!
View Quote

That does seem like an awful lot of potential points of failure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

View All Quotes

but it has the potential to save many tons of weight in landing gear and structural rigidity required to support that gear.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

It should be a lot easier to land accurately with a larger booster for several reasons:

-pendulum effect
-square-cube law (same wind speed will impact large booster less than small one)
-accuracy itself is not relative (i.e. a CEP of 2m is a lot less in terms of % of booster diameter for a large rocket compared to a small one)
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 3Trip:

but it has the potential to save many tons of weight in landing gear and structural rigidity required to support that gear.
View All Quotes

As I keep saying. It seems more Kerbal than Kerbal.

That said, it will probably be a few years before its attempted. We will have to have Starship prototypes landing exactly where intended on a pad before they attempt catching a booster.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:53:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#17]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

That said, it will probably be a few years before its attempted. We will have to have Starship prototypes landing exactly where intended on a pad before they attempt catching a booster.
View All Quotes

not a huge fan of these robo narrated foreign videos but check out sn15s landing legs around 0:25
It may be that landing legs are a huge obstacle to overcome when it comes to superheavy. It would not surprise me to see them attempt to catch a pretty early version of the booster. The grid fins will already have a lot of structural support built in as they take a lot of force. Catching it from the top also makes for a tension load instead of compression on the entire structure which is a lot stronger. It makes a ton of sense. Not sure what sort of designs for cathing arms spacex is kicking around but it will need to have a lot of margin for error as to where the booster will land. Have seen some neat animation ideas from youtube fans. This concept was pretty neat with 3 rings with the inner two having an offset so that it can adjust to a pretty wide area and then recenter the booster.
SpaceX Super Heavy landing on a platform at sea

With their push to get the vertical integration tower constructed I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt a catch with a very early booster flight. Maybe try to make sure the first couple are landing within a margin of error while completing the construction and then go for it... I guess we'll see though
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0-sMK3WUAUSHQl?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I don't think SpaceX has shown any of their designs for the catch arm. It seems like all the fan mock ups of it are kind of... naive. They all are basically an arm mounted to a tower. The amount of force exerted on an arm like that would be tremendous. Not to mentioned the side loading put on the tower itself.

I would think a pair (or even four) bridge cranes suspended either from four towers or one really big one would be better solution. The bridge cranes would open up as the booster comes in for a landing. As the bottom end passes the cranes, they could quickly close up around the booster. You could even rig them up with proximity sensors to detect how close they are to the booster to avoid touching the body. This kind of solution would allow for large variances in landing accuracy really only limited by how large you want to make the bridge cranes.

I'm eager to see what SpaceX comes up with.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#19]
The Dutch professor just brought up something in another rocket thread that gave me a thought.

Elon has mentioned in a few interviews that he is concerned about extinction level events, and constantly reiterates that our race has to become multiplanetary in order to maximize our chances of survival.

I wonder if in the back of his mind, he's already designing a Starship vehicle specifically designed in advance to be held in reserve for long range asteroid interdiction. Maybe a pack of rocket boosters mounted orthogonal to the path in order to knock it off course? Maybe a simple bomb? One idea I've heard, but I don't know if it's viable, is that part of the asteroid could be painted white and part black in order to induce an altered spin due to solar radiation, which could deflect the orbit as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#20]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0-sMK3WUAUSHQl?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Needs more soot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:00:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#21]
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:
The Dutch professor just brought up something in another rocket thread that gave me a thought.

Elon has mentioned in a few interviews that he is concerned about extinction level events, and constantly reiterates that our race has to become multiplanetary in order to maximize our chances of survival.

I wonder if in the back of his mind, he's already designing a Starship vehicle specifically designed in advance to be held in reserve for long range asteroid interdiction. Maybe a pack of rocket boosters mounted orthogonal to the path in order to knock it off course? Maybe a simple bomb? One idea I've heard, but I don't know if it's viable, is that part of the asteroid could be painte

d white and part black in order to induce an altered spin due to solar radiation, which could deflect the orbit as well.
View Quote

The best thing to use for pushing asteroids (in addition to the lift capabilities of Staship) would probably be to have the Space Force have a few thousand Nuclear shape charges (Casaba Howitzers) as a planetary defense stockpile.

These are the same type of warheads that the Orion ship was supposed to use. They convert a much larger percentage of their energy to usable momentum.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#shapedcharge

They'd work the same was as Orion, just instead of firing them at a pusher plate, you'd fire them at the asteroid from a predetermined distance based on size/composition/etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#22]

not a huge fan of these robo narrated foreign videos but check out sn15s landing legs around 0:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKRjETty600
It may be that landing legs are a huge obstacle to overcome when it comes to superheavy. It would not surprise me to see them attempt to catch a pretty early version of the booster. The grid fins will already have a lot of structural support built in as they take a lot of force. Catching it from the top also makes for a tension load instead of compression on the entire structure which is a lot stronger. It makes a ton of sense. Not sure what sort of designs for cathing arms spacex is kicking around but it will need to have a lot of margin for error as to where the booster will land. Have seen some neat animation ideas from youtube fans. This concept was pretty neat with 3 rings with the inner two having an offset so that it can adjust to a pretty wide area and then recenter the booster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm5BgSsZbE

With their push to get the vertical integration tower constructed I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt a catch with a very early booster flight. Maybe try to make sure the first couple are landing within a margin of error while completing the construction and then go for it... I guess we'll see though
View All Quotes

not a huge fan of these robo narrated foreign videos but check out sn15s landing legs around 0:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKRjETty600
It may be that landing legs are a huge obstacle to overcome when it comes to superheavy. It would not surprise me to see them attempt to catch a pretty early version of the booster. The grid fins will already have a lot of structural support built in as they take a lot of force. Catching it from the top also makes for a tension load instead of compression on the entire structure which is a lot stronger. It makes a ton of sense. Not sure what sort of designs for cathing arms spacex is kicking around but it will need to have a lot of margin for error as to where the booster will land. Have seen some neat animation ideas from youtube fans. This concept was pretty neat with 3 rings with the inner two having an offset so that it can adjust to a pretty wide area and then recenter the booster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm5BgSsZbE

That was a really cool animation. I like how it allows for precise translation and rotation of the booster after catching in order to place it on the launch mount.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]

The best thing to use for pushing asteroids (in addition to the lift capabilities of Staship) would probably be to have the Space Force have a few thousand Nuclear shape charges (Casaba Howitzers) as a planetary defense stockpile.

These are the same type of warheads that the Orion ship was supposed to use. They convert a much larger percentage of their energy to usable momentum.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uqfFr1Q3MgY/V1WLe-UNnSI/AAAAAAAAAkg/htei9zVd84ge4dj7mzFJUtYb3hGQ2UYBQCLcB/s1600/Nuclear_shaped_charge.jpg

They'd work the same was as Orion, just instead of firing them at a pusher plate, you'd fire them at the asteroid from a predetermined distance based on size/composition/etc.
View All Quotes

I wonder if in the back of his mind, he's already designing a Starship vehicle specifically designed in advance to be held in reserve for long range asteroid interdiction. Maybe a pack of rocket boosters mounted orthogonal to the path in order to knock it off course? Maybe a simple bomb? One idea I've heard, but I don't know if it's viable, is that part of the asteroid could be painte

d white and part black in order to induce an altered spin due to solar radiation, which could deflect the orbit as well.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uqfFr1Q3MgY/V1WLe-UNnSI/AAAAAAAAAkg/htei9zVd84ge4dj7mzFJUtYb3hGQ2UYBQCLcB/s1600/Nuclear_shaped_charge.jpg

How long is that engine expected to survive after ignition? Seconds? Minutes?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Has anyone simulated a starship booster landing using tower grab yet in KSP?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#25]

View Quote

Orion?

Orion is a nuclear bomb pooping pogo stick using these small nuclear bombs as propellant.

You could use these same bombs to deflect asteroids
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

44 milliseconds..
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

I don't think SpaceX has shown any of their designs for the catch arm. It seems like all the fan mock ups of it are kind of... naive. They all are basically an arm mounted to a tower. The amount of force exerted on an arm like that would be tremendous. Not to mentioned the side loading put on the tower itself.

I would think a pair (or even four) bridge cranes suspended either from four towers or one really big one would be better solution. The bridge cranes would open up as the booster comes in for a landing. As the bottom end passes the cranes, they could quickly close up around the booster. You could even rig them up with proximity sensors to detect how close they are to the booster to avoid touching the body. This kind of solution would allow for large variances in landing accuracy really only limited by how large you want to make the bridge cranes.

I'm eager to see what SpaceX comes up with.
View Quote

Seems like they are just building a single tower so far.  I don’t get it either.  

We’ll find out soon enough.

Starship legs need a suspension system too, unless that is also caught somehow.

Falcon 9 is accurate within 1/2 it’s diameter on a floating platform.  Is 15’ accuracy good enough for SH and Starship?  
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The hoover they are practicing could also move sideways into a slot?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:47:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#29]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I think the hover is key here.

With the Falcon cores, the suicide burn (hoverslam) means they only get one shot at landing - and they STILL get really impressive accuracy.

With Starship and the Heavy Booster, they should be able to hover, and adjust (either with hot gas directional thingys, or by gimballing the raptors), so that should give them a LOT more control and precision in where they park the thing.

View Quote

Basically doing this.

Missile defense multiple kill vehicle hover test

With something the size of a building.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#31]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I think the hover is key here.

With the Falcon cores, the suicide burn (hoverslam) means they only get one shot at landing - and they STILL get really impressive accuracy.

With Starship and the Heavy Booster, they should be able to hover, and adjust (either with hot gas directional thingys, or by gimballing the raptors), so that should give them a LOT more control and precision in where they park the thing.

View Quote

one things I found really interesting with falcon is that it supposedly comes in with a trajectory that would miss the ship in case something goes wrong, less risk to the ship. The final burn brings it on target.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

As long as an RPG lasts after its fuze ignites
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Puny school buses

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Orion?

Orion is a nuclear bomb pooping pogo stick using these small nuclear bombs as propellant.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UdovDQVJrAc/U6IJCO-IwTI/AAAAAAAAIjQ/ysYcSo2pw2Y/s1600/DiscoveryOrion.gif

You could use these same bombs to deflect asteroids
View Quote

A sort of modernized version of the German WWll V1 rocket....

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got done listening to Eric Weinstien's presentation of geometric unity on the Into the impossible podcast.

Something Eric says at the end. Paraphrasing somewhat, "either humanities home is among the stars or nowhere and rockets aren't going to do it."

I can't help but think that even if someone invented a workable antigravity drive tomorrow which was cheaper to use than a rocket. That Starship would still be a vitally important project if only because we don't have too many suitable things to stick an antigravity drive in.

In the short story, The Road Not Taken we have creatures flying around in crude spaceships that need to have their oxygen replenished by regular stops on living planets. I don't think you could get away with that IRL.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got done listening to Eric Weinstien's presentation of geometric unity on the Into the impossible podcast.

Something Eric says at the end. Paraphrasing somewhat, "either humanities home is among the stars or nowhere and rockets aren't going to do it."

I can't help but think that even if someone invented a workable antigravity drive tomorrow which was cheaper to use than a rocket. That Starship would still be a vitally important project if only because we don't have too many suitable things to stick an antigravity drive in.

In the short story, The Road Not Taken we have creatures flying around in crude spaceships that need to have their oxygen replenished by regular stops on living planets. I don't think you could get away with that IRL.
View Quote
For the Stars... no... Traditional rockets are not the answer.  Solar sails, Orion, or Fusion accelerated plasma drives would be the type of thing we'd need to use and all are within the realm of feasibility if funding were directed to develop them.

For the planets within our own solar system... Yes traditional rockets work pretty well.

There's a critical cost threshold that once we surmount will result in large scale private utilization of space.  Falcon 9 is really close to that threshold and Starship is designed to smash right through it.  

Then there's a critical mass of personnel and space craft that once we get them into space we will never cease having personnel and operating space craft in space.  Because those people and craft will harvest the materials in space (asteroids) to make more of themselves.  

Gather enough mass and you can make large self sufficient habitats where people could live for many generations... hundreds or thousands even.  If we don't head out to the Stars at this point... we could dismantle the planets into ever more of these habitats and support a tremendous amount of population.  At that point why not send a few fleets of these on slow outward journeys to the stars?  They won't need anything more on the way and can collect anything they want in what ever star system they arrive at.  No need for habitable planets when you can make your own.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
There's a critical cost threshold that once we surmount will result in large scale private utilization of space.  Falcon 9 is really close to that threshold and Starship is designed to smash right through it.  

Then there's a critical mass of personnel and space craft that once we get them into space we will never cease having personnel and operating space craft in space.  Because those people and craft will harvest the materials in space (asteroids) to make more of themselves.
View Quote

Which means that if you're a hard-core Greenie - someone who believes that humans are a scourge on nature - you have to stop space colonization before it really gets started.

You can't put that genie back in the bottle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Which means that if you're a hard-core Greenie - someone who believes that humans are a scourge on nature - you have to stop space colonization before it really gets started.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:

I have an aunt like that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#40]

I wonder if in the back of his mind, he's already designing a Starship vehicle specifically designed in advance to be held in reserve for long range asteroid interdiction. Maybe a pack of rocket boosters mounted orthogonal to the path in order to knock it off course? Maybe a simple bomb? One idea I've heard, but I don't know if it's viable, is that part of the asteroid could be painted white and part black in order to induce an altered spin due to solar radiation, which could deflect the orbit as well.
View Quote

The key to preventing an impact is early detection.

I think starship is no more or less than what he says it is.   A serious attempt to make humans multi-planetary so an impact doesn't end the human race altogether.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

I think starship is no more or less than what he says it is.   A serious attempt to make humans multi-planetary so an impact doesn't end the human race altogether.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

That's why I think NASA should put its efforts toward space telemetry, and let the commercial market handle orbital launching. Elon said that Starship will be able to put a telescope with three times the diameter lens of Hubble into orbit. Now I don't remember everything from Optics class, but bigger is most certainly better. Or by comparison, a much larger telescope doesn't need as fine a lens for equal results. I bet you could design a telescope to scan deep orbit for a tenth the price of Hubble's initial cost, and with the cost of launch reduced to a fraction we could put up a whole network. And once Starship is viable, and we do detect something headed our way? It will almost certainly be the best option available to intercept.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#42]

I figured this was going to happen sooner or later, and will happen again.

The perimeter isn't very secure at all.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By hondaciv:

View All Quotes

Arfbros should put together a volunteer security service. I bet we could put dozens of the 69th Chairborne on that property every night, well armed and ready to rumble.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Arfbros should put together a volunteer security service. I bet we could put dozens of the 69th Chairborne on that property every night, well armed and ready to rumble.
View All Quotes

MilitiaX?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#45]

MilitiaX?
View All Quotes

MilitiaX?

To the fuckin Moon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#46]

MilitiaX?
View Quote

I think more than one guy on this site has said.

"Would be (paid) henchman for Musk."
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Fuck yeah.

Homer simpson was an idiot to leave GlobeX.   Hank Scorpio was a great guy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

MilitiaX?

What are the uniforms like?   Mao jackets?   Metalisized?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
What are the uniforms like?   Mao jackets?   Metalisized?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#50]

MilitiaX?
View All Quotes

MilitiaX?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 440
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top