Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 2:39:40 PM EDT
Normally I really enjoy cleaning guns, and I do it compulsuvely - but I'm feeling lethargic today and there's nothing good on TV, so I just really don't feel like it.

I fired about 40 rounds through it yesterday - but I figure since its a WW-2 gun, it probably wouldn't be the first time it's gone  ahiwle without cleaning.  And it's still my most accurate and reliable handgun.

What do ya'll think?  Do you all clean your guns after EVERY use, or do you sometimes let it slide?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
40 rounds, hu? Damn, I generally fire 600 rounds a couple times a week and only clean mine once a month. (This does not mean I don't wipe all the shyte off the outside, I am not a dirty bastid).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
40 rounds, hu? Damn, I generally fire 600 rounds a couple times a week and only clean mine once a month. (This does not mean I don't wipe all the shyte off the outside, I am not a dirty bastid).
View Quote

I was using my rifle a lot more that day [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
40 rounds.  Nah.  Wipe it down and put it away.

When you feel in the mood do it then.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I clean my gun, when it starts to jam and gets FTFs & FTEs
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I clean my gun, when it starts to jam and gets FTFs & FTEs
View Quote

I like this man's attitude, but I am afraid I am a little obsessive compulsive about cleaning after a shoot (but I don't take an hour per gun like some of yall). I would not clean it after 40 rounds but maybe just run a bore snake through.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Well DK, old buddy.  I guess you have me pegged.

I have never slept with a dirty firearm in my home.  If I shoot it, it gets cleaned.  Period.

One round or 300, it gets cleaned and oiled before it and I go to bed.

Of course, this may be the reason that I have several firearms older than I am (55) that still look like new.

Clean it, you lazy bum. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Old Army philosophy--"The horse, the saddle, the man."

That means you take care of your gear before you take care of you.  I'd clean it, even if it meant just a bore-snake and a patch of oil.

And, EricE has a good point; the pistol deserves a little more TLC than it has seen in the past!

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot my 1911 about 1,000 between cleanings. And that is since I went to wolf.

I do need to CLP every 300 or so rounds with wolf.

The 1911 just does not need that much TLC if the feed ramp is polished.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
This guy has shot [b]2,800[/b] so far through his Springfield Mil Spec, without fail.

[url]http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55698[/url]

I would clean yours, btw. WTF not?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The time you wasted posting this you could have had it cleaned and  ready to go again
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
if i look at my guns too hard, i clean them [:O]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
All right - I've discovered that my compulsiveness trumps my laziness.  Like Old_Painless (and others of you) I HAD to clean it.

Just finished - now I feel better!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well DK, old buddy.  I guess you have me pegged.

I have never slept with a dirty firearm in my home.  If I shoot it, it gets cleaned.  Period.

One round or 300, it gets cleaned and oiled before it and I go to bed.

Of course, this may be the reason that I have several firearms older than I am (55) that still look like new.

Clean it, you lazy bum. [:D]
View Quote

NEVER let the sun set on a dirty weapon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top