Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 10:55:23 AM EDT
All I can say is that they are back!! I have been listening to this CD over and over and over again. I dont think there is one crappy song on there. They got back to the original sound with a modern twist. Synthesized sound is gone. Right after Powerslave I think their sound went south.

They must be making money though... Bruce Dickenson is now a pilot and started an airline called "Bruce-Air"

cool.

Now only if Van Halen can come back... I will be happy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well put.  When I first heard 1986's "Somewhere in Time," I was disgusted by the synthesizers.  "Dance of Death" is pretty good in my book.  It would be much better with NO synthesizers.

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've loved all their albums, except the ones with Blaze or whatever his name was.  Of course Bruce made some great solo albums during that time so I'm not as depressed about it, lol.  Lot different than stardard Maiden but I love his Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth albums.

Happy to see him back in Maiden of course.  I really thought both DoD and Brave New World were excellent albums...  Certainly better than any other bands "comeback"/reunited albums I've heard...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
But here is where I HATE to say something. I think they have ONE too many guitarists. being that i am an old Iron Maiden fan, Janick Gers just doesnt fit in.... sorry to any JG fans.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]

I must be one of the few people that really likes Somewhere in Time and 7th son of a 7th son!

after that..they  kinda went....ehhh..

Although with Brave New World they came back to form..

Maiden still has it..

and yes...It hink they don't need Janick
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
What original members are still in IM? Murray? Smith?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Are we talking old Iron Maiden sound like in Number of the beast and that sound?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw them in 1984, pretty kick ass show until a giant puppet came out on stilts and all 5,000 teenage boys in attendance went wild. A little too Spinal Tap for me, but they had cool songs.

At least the bassist didn't get locked inside a giant pod.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I must be one of the few people that really likes Somewhere in Time and 7th son of a 7th son!
View Quote
Nope, I like them too, but Piece of Mind is still my favorite.

Although with Brave New World they came back to form.   Maiden still has it.
View Quote
I liked Brave New World, and did indeed think they came back to form based on that one.  But I don't like Dance of Death that much.  It's not a bad album, but it's not one to put in the 'classic' file.  The songwriting and musicianship is still good, but they seem to be less motivated (although better than '90s era Maiden).
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Piece of Mind
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#10]
[SIZE=5][B]666[/B][/SIZE=5].........DONE![devil]

Best song in the world is Hallowed Be Thy Name!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Live some of you have mentioned, Piece of Mind is also my favorite Maiden album.

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All I can say is that they are back!! I have been listening to this CD over and over and over again. I dont think there is one crappy song on there. They got back to the original sound with a modern twist.
View Quote

Not a stinker on the record, from the previews I've sampled. Gonna get this one. Yeah, this sounds like a strong return to their original sound. Very cool.

I guess sometimes they [i]do[/i] make 'em like they used to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]www.ironmaiden.com[/url]

Just watched Rainmaker, not really impressed, yet. (Had to view it @ 80K)

Glad to see Nicko is still in the band.(Coolest name for a drummer!)
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What original members are still in IM? Murray? Smith?
View Quote

Bruce Dickenson (I know ... NOT original)
Steve Harris
Adrian Smith (I know...ALSO not original)
Nicko McBrain (I know...ALSO not original)
Dave Murray
Janick Gers
Quoted:
Are we talking old Iron Maiden sound like in Number of the beast and that sound?
View Quote

Actually more like Piece Of Mind. # of the Beast was more "raunchy" whereas POM was more musically intricate... if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Peice of Mind was indeed an awesome album. My band played The Trooper at a high school assembly. Would have rather played "Where Eagles Dare". Martin Birch did a great job of production on that album. That was recorded at a time when production of metal bands was at a high. Mutt Lange did some great work with AC/DC and Def Leppard at the same time too. The good ole days...

P.S. I also loved Somewhere In Time. Was different, but still good. And so was Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. After that, it started to go south. Will have to check out the new one...

And Bruce has been a commercial pilot for some time. Check out the FAA registry to find out other rock star pilots and their ratings (the ones who are rated in the US anyways). Some others are Chris DeGarmo (Queensryche) and Alex Lifeson (Rush).

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

P.S. I also loved Somewhere In Time. Was different, but still good. And so was Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. After that, it started to go south. Will have to check out the new one...

View Quote

Can t listen to Somewhere in Time... best friend killed himself when that album came out so a lot of the songs brings back memories.

Hate that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top